Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 10th, '12, 15:45

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by JRS22 » Mar 10th, '12, 15:45

2011 handmade Jin Suo Shi from EOT. A delicious tea and brewed in my Seong-il porcelain pot. I'm still a beginner when brewing Wuyi and I'm experimenting with times for subsequent steeps but whether or not my times are optimal I'm enjoying this tea.

Mar 10th, '12, 20:23

by debunix » Mar 10th, '12, 20:23

JRS22 wrote:I'm experimenting with times for subsequent steeps but whether or not my times are optimal I'm enjoying this tea.
If you're enjoying the tea, then of course the steep times are good!

Today, after some really nice steeps the last couple of days from Norbu's Song Zhong Fenghuang oolong, I'm enjoying a session with Song Zhong #5 from TeaHabitat. Both are terrific peachy teas, and while the Norbu version is not as powerfully floral and peachy as the TeaHabitat, it's quite lovely and more accessibly for 'everyday'.

Mar 11th, '12, 18:10

by MIKE_B » Mar 11th, '12, 18:10

TGY this afternoon. Premium Iron Buddha Emperor's Delight from thechineseteashop.com.

Mar 12th, '12, 16:05

by AdamMY » Mar 12th, '12, 16:05

Teavana Oriental Beauty, I've had this sitting around for far to long.

Mar 12th, '12, 18:42

by oolongfan » Mar 12th, '12, 18:42

Debunix - Thanks for the tasting notes of Norbu's and Tea Habitat's Song Zhongs. I love Norbu's Song Zhong but not the #5 from Tea Habitat (in fact I have not had any of TH's teas).

I wish that TH had tasting notes like Norbu's....also would love to know what the 'commercial grade' teas are...as opposed to other grades that TH carries :)

Today's cup is Da Wu Ye 2011 Spring Fenghuang - lovely honeysuckle flavors with soft orchid flavors. A wonderful cup to enjoy this Spring like weather :)

Mar 12th, '12, 20:40

by wyardley » Mar 12th, '12, 20:40

oolongfan wrote:Debunix - Thanks for the tasting notes of Norbu's and Tea Habitat's Song Zhongs. I love Norbu's Song Zhong but not the #5 from Tea Habitat (in fact I have not had any of TH's teas).

I wish that TH had tasting notes like Norbu's....also would love to know what the 'commercial grade' teas are...as opposed to other grades that TH carries :)
There are some tasting notes on the site; she also posts some other notes and suggestions on what are good teas to try here:
http://tea-obsession.blogspot.com/2011/ ... d-now.html

I haven't had any Tea Habitat teas for a while, but I think folks tend to focus on the prices of some of the higher priced teas while ignoring the "commercial" grade teas, many of which are excellent.

http://www.teahabitat.com/store/index.p ... Path=26_16

Mar 13th, '12, 09:49

by etorix » Mar 13th, '12, 09:49

Shan Ling Xi Tea from Teafrom Taiwan

from my second lot of samples from TfT ..

a high mountain organic oolong, kinda interesting

might try more of this from other vendors

hm, i see Stephane recommends decanting vacuum-packed tea for an 'airing'

makes sense

i saw an old liptons tea jar recently in a oxfam [charity] shop, it had no lid tho

EDIT: right then, making my first order from TeaMasters, two winter 2011s from Shan Lin Shi for roasted/unroasted diffing

and some nibbled red Summer Da Yeh Oolong

Mar 13th, '12, 20:52

by oolongfan » Mar 13th, '12, 20:52

I was inspired by Debunix's post, to drink Song Zhong 2011 Spring Feng Huan -from Norbu. Since it was almost 80 F, I allowed the tea to cool a little more than normal for each session. The Song Zhing, to me, is really versatile in that it seems to be refreshing in both hot and cold weather! I almost brewed a 'greener' style TGY or high grown Ali Shan....as those are also refreshing to me in warm weather.

wyardley - Thanks for the link's on TH's blog and shop sites :)

TH's notes, I think, are intended for a more tea experienced audience than me....I am still learning all the Oolong varietals so sometimes her references to other teas are lost on me ;) For example, I don't know what jasmine pearls in relation to Oolong tea...as referenced in the 2011 Mo Li Xiang - Jasmine Fragrance description. So my comment about lack of tasting notes could have been better worded to say 'the notes confuse and loose me at times' :)

Thanks for the suggestion note to forgo the 'commercial grade' teas at TH. I suspect the word bias comes from me living in the land of Walmart.... The Honey Orchid Commercial Special Grade certainly sounds good.

Any recommendations appreciated...specifically teas that you think are unique to TH for example? - you can PM me so as to keep this thread on track.... I am planning to place an order in the next few months :)

Mar 13th, '12, 21:13

by wyardley » Mar 13th, '12, 21:13

oolongfan wrote: TH's notes, I think, are intended for a more tea experienced audience than me....I am still learning all the Oolong varietals so sometimes her references to other teas are lost on me ;) For example, I don't know what jasmine pearls in relation to Oolong tea...as referenced in the 2011 Mo Li Xiang - Jasmine Fragrance description.
It's important to differentiate between unscented teas which are said to mimic the smell of flowers vs. teas which are actually flower scented.

In other words, this tea isn't jasmine scented, either naturally or artificially; it's just a specific varietal that's named for some kind of resemblance to a jasmine fragrance, in the same way that 'milan xiang' or 'shui xian' refer to a type of orchid or to narcissus, respectively.
http://www.teahabitat.com/store/index.p ... cts_id=175

What she's saying there is that this tea isn't anything like the "jasmine" green tea you normally find.

Many dancong are named after orchids, and I have to say, after smelling some orchids a year or so ago (at a local flower mart), I can really understand the comparison.
oolongfan wrote: Thanks for the suggestion note to forgo the 'commercial grade' teas at TH. I suspect the word bias comes from me living in the land of Walmart....
I think people are really drawn to stories when they're buying tea, and so buying something that's commercial grade seems unappealing. But in my personal opinion, the TH commercial grade stuff stands up very well against many vendor's "top grade" stuff, and is also less tricky to brew in many ways. Like I said, it's been a while, because I really don't drink much dancong, but I think the honey orchid fragrance (aka 'milan xiang') one is usually a solid bet there.

Mar 14th, '12, 23:24

by TubbyCow » Mar 14th, '12, 23:24

I'm drinking Teasatia's Da Hong Pao right now, and it is easily one of the most disappointing Big Red Robes I've ever had. Especially for this price. It's just so... mediocre.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. Has anyone else tried this one? Has anyone tried it and liked it? I'm just really unimpressed.

Mar 15th, '12, 16:43

by oolongfan » Mar 15th, '12, 16:43

TubbyCow - Great minds think alike. I had a regular grade Da hong Pao yesterday...but mine is from Norbu...and I love it. I have not had Teasatia's Da Hong Pao so I can't answer your question :( Did you buy the regular grade or the 'Imperial' grade?

Norbu has two Da Hong Pao's - Imperial Red Robe and just regular 'Da hong Pao. I find that the regular tends to be a little rougher tannins...and requires less steeping time or else is becomes a little too tannic...but is still a very good every day drinking tea, especially since you can get many brewing sessions due to its strength and tannins. The Imperial is far smoother in terms of tannins and has a more complex flavor profile..overall a much smoother tea..but a pricier one :)

I hope some one answers your question who has tasted Teasatia's Da Hong Pao .

wyardley - Thanks for the explanation regarding artificially Jasmine scented teas versus those whose natural scent resembles Jasmine (or any other flower). I love this forum because of answers like yours...a great opportunity to learn so much :)

I agree with your statement that people like teas with a story. In my case, I love to hear about where the tea came (private estate, Co-op, from as well as the varietal. I roast coffee so I like as much detail as possible :) You are so correct that 'commercial' has a pejorative tone to it for so many people..myself included. Thanks for your suggestion...I will added it to my list of teas to try from TH.

Mar 15th, '12, 17:27

by Ambrose » Mar 15th, '12, 17:27

farmers baozhong from flt and dong ding rbt

Mar 15th, '12, 17:48

by TubbyCow » Mar 15th, '12, 17:48

oolongfan wrote:Did you buy the regular grade or the 'Imperial' grade?
I actually didn't buy anything - it was a sample sent to me for review. I only see one Da Hong Pao on Teasatia's website, and they call it their "Premium Grade."

Mar 16th, '12, 04:42

by Beaker » Mar 16th, '12, 04:42

Drinking some premium-grade DHP from Wing Hop Fung that I picked up a few months ago at the Monterey Park store.

Such a luxurious mouthfeel, great balance of high and low notes, and a pretty good value for the money; the more I try these nicely balanced Wuyi oolongs, the more I can feel the allure of the Oolong dark side! :twisted:

Mar 16th, '12, 12:11

by AdamMY » Mar 16th, '12, 12:11

Teamasters spring 2011 Hung Shui from Shan lin Shi, I am finishing off the bag. Its always sad to see a stash of good tea finished.

+ Post Reply