Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 13th, '14, 01:55

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Tead Off » Dec 13th, '14, 01:55

JRS22 wrote:
debunix wrote:Marvelous appaloosa pot. If the tea was anywhere as nice as the pot, must have been a lovely session.

The pot outshone the tea, but did last for 10 infusions. Tomorrow I up the quantity of tea and lower the time and see what happens.

A better photo would show that my greenwood studio handled cup works especially well with this pot.
You should be able to get 4-5g of leaf in there if placed carefully. You can take your index finger and push into the center to crush some of the leaves, Chao Zhou style.

Dec 13th, '14, 02:06

by Tead Off » Dec 13th, '14, 02:06

DVS wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
DVS wrote:I just had a session of TU's Old Bush SX... This tea has been over roasted. You can tell by the feel of the leaves after
I haven't tried TU's Old Bush SX, but have had many SX with the look and feel of what you describe. Once in awhile, I'll come across one that is very good. These are always high roasted and have had multiple roasts over the years. It all depends on whose caring for the tea. But, in general, I also prefer lower to mid roasts to get at the more complex mineral tastes. Teahong offers a premium SX that is very good. Can't remember the exact name of it.
Tim has the best High Fired SX that I've tried so far. I never tried any of Teahong teas... I will have to check them out.
Have never tried his teas but his reputation is obviously good. There is probably a sizable price difference, though.

I tried some of TU's higher end yancha but couldn't justify the price. With roasted teas, I'm always afraid of the new harvests and prefer the older ones. They seem to need time to develop. With JK's teas, I noticed differences between their 2013 and 2014 yancha. So many variables go into each harvest and processing of the teas.

Dec 13th, '14, 03:11

by kyarazen » Dec 13th, '14, 03:11

Poseidon wrote:Looks like a lovely session kyarazen!
its a daily affair now :D i really love drinking tea alone and having everything alone :D

Dec 14th, '14, 11:44

by JRS22 » Dec 14th, '14, 11:44

Tead Off wrote:You should be able to get 4-5g of leaf in there if placed carefully. You can take your index finger and push into the center to crush some of the leaves, Chao Zhou style.
I used your technique to fit 4 grams into the pot. I'm sure it would also work to fit in 5 grams, with a tea that doesn't last for 10+ infusions. In the meantime, 4 grams with really short infusions is a lot of Yancha for me, which is the point of owning a pot this size.

Dec 14th, '14, 22:01

by Tead Off » Dec 14th, '14, 22:01

JRS22 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:You should be able to get 4-5g of leaf in there if placed carefully. You can take your index finger and push into the center to crush some of the leaves, Chao Zhou style.
I used your technique to fit 4 grams into the pot. I'm sure it would also work to fit in 5 grams, with a tea that doesn't last for 10+ infusions. In the meantime, 4 grams with really short infusions is a lot of Yancha for me, which is the point of owning a pot this size.
How was the taste?

Dec 15th, '14, 17:16

by JRS22 » Dec 15th, '14, 17:16

Tead Off wrote:
JRS22 wrote:
How was the taste?
For some time now I've been using two Seong-il porcelain (unglazed on the inside) pots to brew Yancha. The change from those sessions is the big increase in tea leaves relative to the size of the pot, because I'm assuming the clay is similar. Today I re-roasted my mixture of Tea Trekker samples from last year and steeped that with very brief infusions with great success.

Dec 16th, '14, 03:35

by BW85 » Dec 16th, '14, 03:35

1990's sea dyke shuixian, refreshed and allowed to rest for a couple hours.
I am very happy with the results. The dark fruit flavors came out very deep and pronounced. Very full. The tea seemed to have more depth over all. I see this being a regular practice

Dec 16th, '14, 21:20

by chrl42 » Dec 16th, '14, 21:20

Rui Quan TLH..2-yr stored.

Coke-like brewing, nice Beidixiang...bitter at the end.

Rui Quan, the name comes from the famous Rui Quan rock of Mt.Wuyi, had been making Yancha since 17c, the company is now run by Mr.Huang..sort of descendant there.

Dec 16th, '14, 21:45

by BW85 » Dec 16th, '14, 21:45

chrl42 wrote:Rui Quan TLH..2-yr stored.

Rui Quan, the name comes from the famous Rui Quan rock of Mt.Wuyi, had been making Yancha since 17c, the company is now run by Mr.Huang..sort of descendant there.
Is it one of master Huang's half or full hand teas? I find his half handmade teas to be very exceptional for their price point. They tend to be my go to daily yan cha

And what are you referring to by "coke-like brewing"?

Dec 16th, '14, 21:59

by chrl42 » Dec 16th, '14, 21:59

BW85 wrote:

Is it one of master Huang's half or full hand teas? I find his half handmade teas to be very exceptional for their price point. They tend to be my go to daily yan cha

Probably half hand-made,

coke brewing I mean by the high-firing :D

Dec 16th, '14, 22:36

by puyuan » Dec 16th, '14, 22:36

BW85 wrote:

Jesus, I had just commented seconds ago on the company, on an unrelated note, before seeing this conversation.

It's very common in Wuyi for the top producers (who are really a handful of people) to have both small factory/brands, and much more limited productions supervised by the heads that don't normally go into the open market, sometimes by a different name. In fact, I think this model is true of every single one of them. If it's from the factory, it's far more likely to be half-handmade.

Dec 19th, '14, 15:28

by JRS22 » Dec 19th, '14, 15:28

Tead Off wrote:
JRS22 wrote:
How was the taste?
Had a great session with the Gold Medal Rou Gui today. I've been using 195 degree water, probably a remnant of how I brew less expensive yancha. Today I used boiling water and really quick steeps and the tea was wonderful. At a $1 a gram I can't afford to use a larger pot, so the 50 ml pot was an investment, not TAD, or so I've convinced myself.

Dec 19th, '14, 18:49

Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Muadeeb » Dec 19th, '14, 18:49

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12 ... f4cd08.jpg[/img]

My brother got me a subscription to steepster's tea of the month club, and I just got this Wooden Dragon oolong today. The dry leaves looked like pencil shavings but after a couple steels, I could see that it was mostly twigs which had been roasted. Had a nice light flavor even though I brewed all 8 grams at once.

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12 ... fe1e03.jpg[/img]

Dec 19th, '14, 22:46

by Tead Off » Dec 19th, '14, 22:46

JRS22 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
JRS22 wrote:
How was the taste?
Had a great session with the Gold Medal Rou Gui today. I've been using 195 degree water, probably a remnant of how I brew less expensive yancha. Today I used boiling water and really quick steeps and the tea was wonderful. At a $1 a gram I can't afford to use a larger pot, so the 50 ml pot was an investment, not TAD, or so I've convinced myself.
+1 :D

Dec 22nd, '14, 15:45

by puerhking » Dec 22nd, '14, 15:45

2014 Ya Shi Xiang Dancong from Yunnan Sourcing. The aroma of the brewed leaves is quite nice. Almonds and some florals in the early infusions. Definitely on the subtle side, but still pretty tasty.

+ Post Reply