Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 5th, '15, 00:11

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Tead Off » Oct 5th, '15, 00:11

10 year old Shui Xian bought in Bangkok's Yaowarat district. This one hits the spot for me. Slightly rough in the back of the throat but all the flavors and chocolatey qualities are there. This is a sort of comfort tea for me. Inexpensive and packed in paper, the old fashioned way.

Oct 5th, '15, 16:18

by kuánglóng » Oct 5th, '15, 16:18

Tead Off wrote:10 year old Shui Xian bought in Bangkok's Yaowarat district. This one hits the spot for me. Slightly rough in the back of the throat but all the flavors and chocolatey qualities are there. This is a sort of comfort tea for me. Inexpensive and packed in paper, the old fashioned way.
This triggers some sweet memories. I used to stock up on tea and aged Dunhill Navy flake in Yaowarat - and overeat :mrgreen:

Oct 5th, '15, 22:33

by Tead Off » Oct 5th, '15, 22:33

kuánglóng wrote:
Tead Off wrote:10 year old Shui Xian bought in Bangkok's Yaowarat district. This one hits the spot for me. Slightly rough in the back of the throat but all the flavors and chocolatey qualities are there. This is a sort of comfort tea for me. Inexpensive and packed in paper, the old fashioned way.
This triggers some sweet memories. I used to stock up on tea and aged Dunhill Navy flake in Yaowarat - and overeat :mrgreen:
Plenty of good street food around Yaowarat!

Oct 5th, '15, 23:15
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 5th, '15, 23:15

Now I want shui xian, BKK street food and to pack one of my pipes for a good smoke!

Oct 6th, '15, 08:18

by kuánglóng » Oct 6th, '15, 08:18

Tead Off wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:
Plenty of good street food around Yaowarat!
It's my favorite disctrict of Bangkok not only because of the fabulous food; been there many times over the years. I wonder how it was like in the 60s/70s ...

Oct 6th, '15, 23:51

by Tead Off » Oct 6th, '15, 23:51

The first time I went to Yaowarat was in the late 80's. Except for some new buildings, facades, etc., it is still pretty much the same place. The side streets are filled with dark, warrens of stalls selling everything imaginable and street vendors are plentiful. It's fun walking around taking a peek into the alleyways and compounds which haven't changed at all.

One big change that is taking place is the MRT subway extension going right through Chinatown. Now it will be accessible to anyone wanting to venture away from the touristic Sukhumvit/Siam areas of central BKK. For me, living on the river, I take the river taxi and walk into Chinatown. Just like old times.

Oct 7th, '15, 05:52

by kuánglóng » Oct 7th, '15, 05:52

Tead Off wrote:The first time I went to Yaowarat was in the late 80's. Except for some new buildings, facades, etc., it is still pretty much the same place. The side streets are filled with dark, warrens of stalls selling everything imaginable and street vendors are plentiful. It's fun walking around taking a peek into the alleyways and compounds which haven't changed at all.

One big change that is taking place is the MRT subway extension going right through Chinatown. Now it will be accessible to anyone wanting to venture away from the touristic Sukhumvit/Siam areas of central BKK. For me, living on the river, I take the river taxi and walk into Chinatown. Just like old times.
My first time was around 1997-8 and I remember it well. The side streets and stalls you mentioned, the dark little shops, the temples, clouds of steam, smoke and exotic smells everywhere, the fantastic restaurants, ... I had all the time in the world and spent entire days exploring the area (always with cold sencha in the thermos) but that's a while ago now.
Good to hear it hasn't changed that much, except for the MRT.
I was wondering if you could sell me some of that Shui Xian you've mentioned above - it might help to keep those memories alive :)

Oct 7th, '15, 07:30

by Tead Off » Oct 7th, '15, 07:30

send a PM to me.

Oct 8th, '15, 05:48

by kuánglóng » Oct 8th, '15, 05:48

Tead Off wrote:send a PM to me.
Done. Thanks in advance!

Had some of my last old, slightly roasted TGY with a friend last night. I had it vacuum packed in small portions when I bought it many moons ago and it had been stored at around 15 deg. C. ever since. Both, my friend and I liked those old leaves quite a bit.

Oct 12th, '15, 19:26

by PolyhymnianMuse » Oct 12th, '15, 19:26

Just made this. Qing Xiang Aroma Da Hong Pao of Wu Yi Mountains * Autumn 2014 http://www.yunnansourcing.us/store/inde ... er=product

Been experimenting with it but can't seem to get much flavor out of it at all. Very subtle even with lots of leaf and longer steeps.

Oct 16th, '15, 23:33
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 16th, '15, 23:33

Drinking some gaoshan I bought in transit at Taipei airport. It's been almost three years. This was pretty good tea to begin with; now it's mellowed and tastes somewhat aged, but is still reminiscent of what it was when fresh. I quite like this tea--too bad it's the last of the bag!

Oct 28th, '15, 03:02

by Tead Off » Oct 28th, '15, 03:02

2013 Cassia Extraordinaire from Tea Hong. A delicious Rou Gui in my zini teapot. Unfortunately, Teahong says that they will not be able to get anymore from this source. One of the best Rou Gui teas I've tried in years.
Cassia Extraordinaire.jpg
Cassia Extraordinaire.jpg (66.61 KiB) Viewed 1863 times

Oct 28th, '15, 17:39

by BW85 » Oct 28th, '15, 17:39

Tead Off wrote:2013 Cassia Extraordinaire from Tea Hong. A delicious Rou Gui in my zini teapot. Unfortunately, Teahong says that they will not be able to get anymore from this source. One of the best Rou Gui teas I've tried in years.
Cassia Extraordinaire.jpg
+1 very good rou gui

Oct 30th, '15, 05:28

by kuánglóng » Oct 30th, '15, 05:28

Had a tea session with a buddy last night. Among other stuff I brewed up some older Lao Cong Shui Xian that made both of us laugh because the wet leaves smelled distinctively of some jamaican weed :shock: (not your SX TO!).

Oct 31st, '15, 05:47

by kuánglóng » Oct 31st, '15, 05:47

I've mentioned a 2015 Mim First Flush a while ago. I just finished another small pot and noticed an overall improvement of those leaves, mainly a change in the taste profile; the delicious fruity notes stand out more clearly and distinctively than back then (same pot, water and brewing parameters). Those tiny first flush leaves can change dramatically within a couple months. I keep them in small multilayer aluminum pouches with very little air inside and check back every month in order not to miss the climax of their development.
Still thinking about how to preserve some of the Liza Hill SF, my tea of the year so far. I might vacuum pack it 10-20g wise, deep freeze half of the batch, keep the rest in the cellar and once in a while invite some friends to revisit and compare them.

+ Post Reply