Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

May 17th, '15, 03:02
Vendor Member

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by jayinhk » May 17th, '15, 03:02

Baozhong from an infuser mug (purchased in Taipei a few years ago, incidentally). This is top grade stuff according to the woman I met in Pinglin. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to get the same intensity of flavor she could, so I'll try using a gaiwan next.

May 18th, '15, 08:46
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 18th, '15, 08:46

Baozhong again...last of the 37.5g bag I bought the day I landed in Taipei. Loaded up my gaiwan and success...fruity, melon-like flavor. I wasn't using enough leaf. Baozhong doesn't expand much, so I was underestimating the amount of leaf I needed.

Incidentally, I was brewing it next to my mom, and she commented that it smelled great!

May 18th, '15, 10:13

by BioHorn » May 18th, '15, 10:13

jayinhk wrote:Baozhong again...last of the 37.5g bag I bought the day I landed in Taipei. Loaded up my gaiwan and success...fruity, melon-like flavor. I wasn't using enough leaf. Baozhong doesn't expand much, so I was underestimating the amount of leaf I needed.

Incidentally, I was brewing it next to my mom, and she commented that it smelled great!
I love it when people come into a room where you are brewing and remark on how good it smells!

Had a really loust teabag oolong green at Best Western Hotel. Better than no tea at all!

May 18th, '15, 11:36
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 18th, '15, 11:36

Yup, sometimes you have to go the teabag route just to get your fix. Lol

May 18th, '15, 12:09

by bilochun » May 18th, '15, 12:09

organic green TGY. pretty bland. just trying to finish it up to make room for other tea

May 19th, '15, 01:44
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 19th, '15, 01:44

Vietnamese 'gaoshan'...in a 40ml hongni shuiping I received today. Great little pot. My new favorite!

I didn't think the leaves would have room to expand, but the tea tastes wonderful in this teapot regardless!

May 20th, '15, 09:47
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 20th, '15, 09:47

Drinking Pinglin's top grade baozhong...this stuff is like good high mountain oolong. Very flavorful and fruity. Milk too! This is good stuff! You know it's good when they didn't want to sell it to me! Lol

May 20th, '15, 13:03

by PEARL » May 20th, '15, 13:03

jayinhk wrote:Drinking Pinglin's top grade baozhong...this stuff is like good high mountain oolong. Very flavorful and fruity. Milk too! This is good stuff! You know it's good when they didn't want to sell it to me! Lol
Are you getting this in the U.S., a lot of the high mountain oolongs have been slow to trickle in.

May 20th, '15, 20:47
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 20th, '15, 20:47

Baozhong is between green and oolong and grown at lower altitude than high mountain teas, just south of Taipei. I bought it in person in the area it is produced in and I live in Hong Kong.

May 21st, '15, 11:25

by mganz42 » May 21st, '15, 11:25

Testing the "autumn oolong" from the Glenburn estate in several vessels (big glass pot, sesame duanni, gaiwan, tiny hong ni)... it's pretty good in all of them. It's a darjeeling oolong, brewed at 180 degrees. Pretty sweet, with notes of citrus, apricots and almonds. I think it would be a great base tea for chai. mmm

May 21st, '15, 14:38

Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by debunix » May 21st, '15, 14:38

Darjeeling oolong?? Sounds delicious.

May 21st, '15, 22:30
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 21st, '15, 22:30

Drinking a green Chinese oolong from a local vendor here in HK. Apparently their best oolong offering...not too expensive, and described as 'like dong ding.' They're definitely more of a pu erh place, so asking for their best oolong was a bit of a leap of faith. I have, however, bought an entire 600g of oolong from them for very little money, and it was surprisingly good tea for the money.

This stuff tastes like a modern green TGY, but with sweetness and floral flavors. This particular store is very old, and this oolong was stored in a massive container in a cabinet, away from the rest of the tea on the shop floor.

I really filled up my gaiwan/pot hybrid for this morning session. Definitely a very Chinese offering for Chinese drinkers, and distinctively different from anything Taiwanese. A nice break from the Taiwanese TGY I had last night, which had much more depth of flavor and tasted more like fresh fruit (and was also much more expensive)!

May 22nd, '15, 05:42

by Rui » May 22nd, '15, 05:42

jayinhk wrote:Drinking a green Chinese oolong from a local vendor here in HK. Apparently their best oolong offering...not too expensive, and described as 'like dong ding.' They're definitely more of a pu erh place, so asking for their best oolong was a bit of a leap of faith. I have, however, bought an entire 600g of oolong from them for very little money, and it was surprisingly good tea for the money.

This stuff tastes like a modern green TGY, but with sweetness and floral flavors. This particular store is very old, and this oolong was stored in a massive container in a cabinet, away from the rest of the tea on the shop floor.

I really filled up my gaiwan/pot hybrid for this morning session. Definitely a very Chinese offering for Chinese drinkers, and distinctively different from anything Taiwanese. A nice break from the Taiwanese TGY I had last night, which had much more depth of flavor and tasted more like fresh fruit (and was also much more expensive)!
Definitely we must meet next time we come over to HK. :)

May 22nd, '15, 10:35

by debunix » May 22nd, '15, 10:35

SeaDyke TGY, via a Kamjove brewer and paper cup. Reliably tasty toasty roasty earthy & grounding.

May 22nd, '15, 21:24
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 22nd, '15, 21:24

Rui, sure, if our schedules coincide, it would be a great opportunity for some tea appreciation!

Drinking Oriental Beauty again...this is good stuff. Lots of successive infusions in a gongfu-sized porcelain pot. Reminds me of a white tea and a black tea, but with much less tannic astringency. Glad I picked up a small amount as a test purchase. Hoping to pop over to Taipei again in a few weeks.

+ Post Reply