Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Feb 4th, '14, 23:52
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by DavidM » Feb 4th, '14, 23:52

Having a Mi Lan Dan Cong from Spring 2013 this evening. My first Dan Cong I've had. Slightly bitter and a nice woody taste. Sort of like a barley flavor but better. Quite enjoying it.

Feb 6th, '14, 02:46

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Feb 6th, '14, 02:46

Norbu Jin Guan Yin tea in a glazed 120ml Petr Novak kyusu: a quality tea drank in the tea room beneath a pre-rain, grey sky.

Blessings!

Feb 7th, '14, 01:16

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Feb 7th, '14, 01:16

Yesterday I opened a slightly aged bag of Oriental Beauty/東方美人 tea that I was given from my guqin teacher last January in Taiwan. I haven't poured Oriental Beauty tea for awhile and it was a pleasure to open the bag and be greeted by rich, earthy, plum scents of the dark, long leaves. They were beautiful in the tea scoop and I let them sit there for awhile, admiring them. I poured the Oriental Beauty, starting at 95 deg. C, in a glazed Novak kyusu for many rounds. This Oriental Beauty is so balanced with a slightly anise-like finish prefaced by a full, slightly smoky/earthy plum flavor, not overly sweet, and lacking any harsh astringency. As I drank, raindrops splattered the tea room wall from outside and the day's light changed between subtle grey hues within the tearoom in rhythm with the shifting depth of the cloud sky. It was a profound pour and my body warmed from within, allowing an incredible stillness to fill the room and rich waves of chaqi to flow. I felt each soft heartbeat slow and alive throughout my whole body, everywhere at once, and became filled with an overwhelming sense of gratitude as tears came to my eyes. Such a gift! I share this gratitude with you all.

Blessings!

Blessings!

Feb 7th, '14, 01:28

by debunix » Feb 7th, '14, 01:28

Oddly enough, an all-oolong day today: started with leftover TGY leaves ('imperial' from YS)--a couple of additional infusions from leaves started last night; moved on to a Li Shan from Origin Tea; then an afternoon and early evening with SeaDyke traditional roast TKY; and finishing with more of the Imperial TGY from YS. A tasty day.

Feb 12th, '14, 19:40

by Devoted135 » Feb 12th, '14, 19:40

Enjoying some Shui Xian (horse head rock tea) from Five Star Teas that Andrzej including in a teaware order a while back. It's wonderfully warm and rich with just an edge of astringency; very comforting for this snowy day and sleety evening. :)
[size=75]"I wish I was at home in my nice hole by the fire, with the kettle just beginning to sing!" [i]~Bilbo Baggins[/i][/size]

Feb 13th, '14, 05:24

by William » Feb 13th, '14, 05:24

Today, day 3 with some Dong Ding from the early 80's.
This is my first aged oolong, I am extremely impressed.

Feb 13th, '14, 18:32

by debunix » Feb 13th, '14, 18:32

2007 Ba Xian from TeaHabitat, mellow and floral and wonderful as usual, enjoyed from a Yi Yong Cheol pot and Seigan Oribe Hagi.

Feb 14th, '14, 17:01
Vendor Member

by TIM » Feb 14th, '14, 17:01

Ending this amazing TGY after 6 days of brewing. 2013 Anxi Xiping Rock Grown 1100m TiKwanYin

Feb 14th, '14, 17:23

by bliss » Feb 14th, '14, 17:23

Looks great Tim! When you brew for six days, how do you store the leaves in between sessions? In pot with lid on in room temperature? I thought I was stretching it with my 3 days of a 99 Kunming Pu, happy to see that was not the case!

Feb 14th, '14, 18:22
Vendor Member

by TIM » Feb 14th, '14, 18:22

bliss wrote:Looks great Tim! When you brew for six days, how do you store the leaves in between sessions? In pot with lid on in room temperature? I thought I was stretching it with my 3 days of a 99 Kunming Pu, happy to see that was not the case!
In a gaiwan or yixing filled with boiling water.

Feb 14th, '14, 18:40

by bliss » Feb 14th, '14, 18:40

TIM wrote:
bliss wrote:Looks great Tim! When you brew for six days, how do you store the leaves in between sessions? In pot with lid on in room temperature? I thought I was stretching it with my 3 days of a 99 Kunming Pu, happy to see that was not the case!
Interesting, I would have thought that leaving the leaves in boiling water would kill them and there would be no more subsequent brews to be had. I'll have to give it a go. Do you use the cold tea that's been steeping for a day for anything?

Heh, lots of questions :mrgreen:

Feb 14th, '14, 19:49
Vendor Member

by TIM » Feb 14th, '14, 19:49

bliss wrote:
TIM wrote:
Interesting, I would have thought that leaving the leaves in boiling water would kill them and there would be no more subsequent brews to be had. I'll have to give it a go. Do you use the cold tea that's been steeping for a day for anything?

Heh, lots of questions :mrgreen:
You drink every brew, cold or hot. Dont waste any please : )

Feb 14th, '14, 19:58

by debunix » Feb 14th, '14, 19:58

In some situations like this, I will leave hot water over leaves for some longer-than-optimal brewing time, and when I return to that pot/leaves, pour it out into a larger cup, and do a 'flash rinse' with boiling water over the cooled leaves, and add that to the long/cooled brew. The combination will be warm enough to bring out the flavors better than the cool brew alone, and the fresh hot tea dilutes the cool long-brewed, and the combination may be brilliant.

Enjoying a cuppa 2013 Spring Zhang Shu Hu Alishan from Origin, where I'd forgotten I put hot water in the pot, and did exactly this--diluted with a fresh pot of flash-brewed hot tea. Lovely forgiving tea.

Feb 14th, '14, 21:23

by Tead Off » Feb 14th, '14, 21:23

Good idea, Debunix. +1

Feb 14th, '14, 23:03

by wyardley » Feb 14th, '14, 23:03

I find that, with some exceptions, I like to enjoy my tea when it's still at its peak, which means I usually either don't brew to the bitter end, or I brew the final infusions in a more casual way.

For really old pu'er, using a thermos to maintain temperature, or even boiling the leaves, can produce good results sometimes (after the leaves are otherwise spent).

+ Post Reply