Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby Chip » Jun 8th, '14, 09:23

Thanks for sharing, Hannah ... wish I were there ... looks lovely!

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22794
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby Poseidon » Jun 10th, '14, 10:27

I had my first wuyi oolong last night and I can say now that im hooked on medium to high roasted oolongs! They are such flavorful sweet complex teas. Last night I tried my sample of Ban Yan Wuyi Qi Lan Rock Tea and loved it. I know what tea ill be getting next tea order... :lol:

User avatar Poseidon
Posts: 498
Joined: Jul 19, '13
Location: Kentucky
Contact Poseidon:

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby Bef » Jun 10th, '14, 11:40

Poseidon wrote:I had my first wuyi oolong last night and I can say now that im hooked on medium to high roasted oolongs! They are such flavorful sweet complex teas. Last night I tried my sample of Ban Yan Wuyi Qi Lan Rock Tea and loved it. I know what tea ill be getting next tea order... :lol:


Would you share where you bought that Wuyi?

Bef
Posts: 152
Joined: Apr 03, '14

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby Teaism » Jun 10th, '14, 12:05

Enjoying a wonderful Da Hong Bao to finish off after a nice session of 2002 Yiwu. Finally I am confident enough to brew my expensive tea after relentless Yancha training for the last few years. I paid US$300 for 100 gm a few years ago for this tea and it take considerable amount of skill to brew it. I have another DHP which I paid US$1000 for 168gm and that will be the ultimate test of my skill.

Nevertheless this round is almost as good as I wanted it to be. Viva!

Cheers! :D

User avatar Teaism
Posts: 720
Joined: Jan 05, '13

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby Poseidon » Jun 10th, '14, 12:13

Bef wrote:
Poseidon wrote:I had my first wuyi oolong last night and I can say now that im hooked on medium to high roasted oolongs! They are such flavorful sweet complex teas. Last night I tried my sample of Ban Yan Wuyi Qi Lan Rock Tea and loved it. I know what tea ill be getting next tea order... :lol:


Would you share where you bought that Wuyi?

jkteashop.com

http://www.jkteashop.com/ban-yan-qi-lan-wuyi-rock-tea-p-258.html

User avatar Poseidon
Posts: 498
Joined: Jul 19, '13
Location: Kentucky
Contact Poseidon:

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby Noonie » Jun 10th, '14, 12:59

Teaism wrote:Enjoying a wonderful Da Hong Bao to finish off after a nice session of 2002 Yiwu. Finally I am confident enough to brew my expensive tea after relentless Yancha training for the last few years. I paid US$300 for 100 gm a few years ago for this tea and it take considerable amount of skill to brew it. I have another DHP which I paid US$1000 for 168gm and that will be the ultimate test of my skill.

Nevertheless this round is almost as good as I wanted it to be. Viva!

Cheers! :D


I guess when you pay those price it's 168 grams...with no rounding up nor down, I may even suggest adding one decimal place :)

I agree that as one pays more for their tea, relative to their experience and budget, you do want to feel confident in brewing it the best you can.

Noonie
Posts: 190
Joined: Aug 28, '11

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby Teaism » Jun 10th, '14, 13:10

Noonie wrote:
Teaism wrote:Enjoying a wonderful Da Hong Bao to finish off after a nice session of 2002 Yiwu. Finally I am confident enough to brew my expensive tea after relentless Yancha training for the last few years. I paid US$300 for 100 gm a few years ago for this tea and it take considerable amount of skill to brew it. I have another DHP which I paid US$1000 for 168gm and that will be the ultimate test of my skill.

Nevertheless this round is almost as good as I wanted it to be. Viva!

Cheers! :D


I guess when you pay those price it's 168 grams...with no rounding up nor down, I may even suggest adding one decimal place :)

I agree that as one pays more for their tea, relative to their experience and budget, you do want to feel confident in brewing it the best you can.


Haha! It was a complex situation. The best DHP done by a famous master, sealed in a hand painted porcelain caddy, brought in personally by the owner, with just a few pieces available. It was in 168gm for some auspicious reason. So it was an opportunity as such tea is seldom available. My tea friend finished one caddy already and I tried it a few times and it was really good and authentic. As for me, I am happy to finally approaching the skill to brew it after admiring the caddy for so many years. It is a complex situation indeed, nevertheless, a nice one.

Cheers! :D

User avatar Teaism
Posts: 720
Joined: Jan 05, '13

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby debunix » Jun 10th, '14, 13:40

Poseidon wrote:I had my first wuyi oolong last night and I can say now that im hooked on medium to high roasted oolongs! They are such flavorful sweet complex teas. Last night I tried my sample of Ban Yan Wuyi Qi Lan Rock Tea and loved it. I know what tea ill be getting next tea order... :lol:


The wonderful thing about oolongs, for me, is that they are so variable and yet all share some oolongess that makes them easy to deal with. I would not willingly give up my puerhs or greens or white teas, but I certainly reach for oolongs vs other teas probably 2:1 or 3:1.

Lucky you, to discover another whole category of them, yay!

User avatar debunix
Posts: 5750
Joined: Jan 10, '10
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact debunix:

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby debunix » Jun 10th, '14, 17:33

Gui Fei oolong from Norbu, a 2011 winter tea from Nantou, Taiwan, in a very highly oxidized, super fruity, like the best essence of brandy minus the alcohol, tempered with a deliciously grounded hint of earthiness/roast. Mmm. So nice from Shawn's little shibo and a Deishi thick white glazed kumidashi-wan.

User avatar debunix
Posts: 5750
Joined: Jan 10, '10
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact debunix:

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby Groucho » Jun 11th, '14, 16:35

A sample of Teavivre's Dongding. It's OK but a bit underpowered for me...Primarily, I taste honey, burning driftwood, and a faint bit of spinach.
Editted to add that, starting about 30 minutes after having this, I had the great taste of coffee caramel in my mouth for quite some time.

Groucho
Posts: 28
Joined: May 15, '14

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby hobnob » Jun 12th, '14, 10:34

Da Yu Ling from Teamaster, very nice, powerful and full of flavour.

hobnob
Posts: 26
Joined: Jul 14, '13
Location: The U of K

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby Poseidon » Jun 12th, '14, 10:53

Last night I tried out some of the other teas I got in my "sample" box from jkteashop. First up was the 2014 Spring Mt Wudong Imperial Da Wu Ye(big black leaf) Phoenix Dancong Oolong Tea. It was... ok. Nothing really jumped out at me. Sort of one dementional. Second up was 2013 Spring Imperial Mt. Wudong Yu Lan Xiang(Magnolia aroma)Phoenix Oolong. Again, nothing to write home about. Does anyone know what Magnolia aroma is? I didnt smell or taste anything overly floral in the liquor or leaves.

To finish out the night i had a pot of Organic High Mountian Oolong from Mountain Tea. Ol' Reliable cha for me. After my session I layed in bed and slept like a baby. I love how tea can soothe a horrible day and allow you to rest. :D

User avatar Poseidon
Posts: 498
Joined: Jul 19, '13
Location: Kentucky
Contact Poseidon:

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby saxon75 » Jun 12th, '14, 13:23

I'm enjoying a cup of green TGY I got from Mad Monk Tea recently. I'm told that a lot of people say that TGY isn't suited for low-oxidation/low-roast, but I quite enjoy this tea.

saxon75
Posts: 149
Joined: Apr 02, '13

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby Math » Jun 12th, '14, 15:48

Qing Xiang Qi Lan from Jing teashop yesterday. 7 grams in a 100ml zhuni pot. I thought I didn't like Qi Lan but this one was very nice. Sweet, good body and pleasant florals and umami. Very infusable. Got this one as a sample with recent order.

User avatar Math
Posts: 102
Joined: Aug 27, '11
Location: Malmö

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby Poseidon » Jun 12th, '14, 15:58

Math wrote:Qing Xiang Qi Lan from Jing teashop yesterday. 7 grams in a 100ml zhuni pot. I thought I didn't like Qi Lan but this one was very nice. Sweet, good body and pleasant florals and umami. Very infusable. Got this one as a sample with recent order.

I also have some of that tea and it is delicious!

User avatar Poseidon
Posts: 498
Joined: Jul 19, '13
Location: Kentucky
Contact Poseidon:


Today's Poll



Community

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest