Where to get the best Tie Guan Yin

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 4th, '10, 23:22

Re: Where to get the best Tie Guan Yin

by Mikael » Jun 4th, '10, 23:22

This might be TOO cheap for you then, but I really dig this company.

http://www.strandtea.com/shop/shop-for- ... d_283.html

or a slightly better variety

http://www.strandtea.com/shop/shop-for- ... d_288.html

Jun 4th, '10, 23:27

by Tea_Rex » Jun 4th, '10, 23:27

There is no burnt flavor at all to the Muzha. I don't have the vocabulary to describe as many of the tea bloggers do, but it is a rich, delicious, long lasting flavor. I brew in one of three vessels: a 2-3 oz gaiwan, a 2-3 ounce clay pot (possibly yixing), and a 4 ounce clay pot. It works in all three. And I sometimes drink it grandpa style which is also very good. And, yes, it is rolled in balls. I'm about to do my fourth order from FLT because she also now has listed some of her Spring teas, including the farmer's choice and honorable mention baozhongs - last year's honorable mention was also one of the best teas I've had this year.

Jun 4th, '10, 23:32

by Dresden » Jun 4th, '10, 23:32

I will have to look into that FLT Muzha... I like to drink grandpa style when I'm camping.

Jun 5th, '10, 00:02

by debunix » Jun 5th, '10, 00:02

I just tried Norbu's Taiwan Tie Guan Yin, which is $17/100g, and comparing it to my old standby Sea Dyke Brand, which I think I paid about $12/125g for last fall, it is a smoother, mellower tea, but I have to do a proper comparative tasting to really nail down the differences.

The Sea Dyke tea is pretty broadly available at Chinese markets, and is definitely a step up from some of the stuff I've recently encountered as gifts or tea that was shared with me from some miscellaneous sources. The Norbu is definitely nicer, but as it was a bulk brewing for the thermos I don't have a good sense yet of how it will compare to a good Wuyi yancha, which is now my standard for a traditionally roasted oolong. More later when I do that comparison.

Jun 7th, '10, 15:24

by the_skua » Jun 7th, '10, 15:24

I've been impressed with Fang Tea's roasted TGY - http://fangtea.myshopify.com/collections/oolong

However, they only sell in 150g containers.

TeaTrekker also has a range of roasted TGY -
http://www.teatrekker.com/store/tea/ool ... +china.php

Jun 8th, '10, 19:36

by JD » Jun 8th, '10, 19:36

Just got my 3 25g samples of Tie Guan Yin from JAS-ETea.com. TGY Premium, Grade A, and Grade B.

Brewed up TGY Premium just now, gongfu style. 1 wash, 1 minute rest, 1 minute steep time. Using my new teacup, aroma cup, and fair cup I also got from JAS-ETea. Also using my cheap yixing pot I bought only for TGY oolongs. It's only a couple weeks old.

Looking at the rolled up, unbrewed leaves, I can tell this is a "premium" style tea. They're fatter, and cleaner looking than SpecialTeas' version of TGY (or Tie Kuan Yin as they call it). Obviously lightly roasted. Still pretty green, but they brew into a more tan colored tea. SpecialTeas' version brews light green.

Smell is very nice and complex. I can smell sweet, fruity, and toasted TGY scents altogether. And the flavor is identical to the smell, yet a little more complex. Sweet, fruity, TGY taste. This is all from the first steep, so who knows what it'll taste like after a couple more steeps.

And I got 2 other samples to try! :D

Jun 8th, '10, 20:44

by JD » Jun 8th, '10, 20:44

Second steep of the TGY Premium was good too. I think it was actually better than the first, and a more focused flavor. I meant to steep it for only 30 seconds, but I was washing my kyusu and wasn't paying attention, and steeped for 40 seconds. It was a little more astringent, but still very good. Infact, I think the astringency made it somehow better. I'm impressed with this stuff. :)

Jun 9th, '10, 02:17

by JD » Jun 9th, '10, 02:17

The Grade A is a typical kind of oolong, with typical smell and flavor. It's good oolong, just not great. Not complex at all. The Premium is much more complex, like fine wine. Might be a good, inexpensive daily oolong.

Also, it looks like JAS-ETea.com also carries Muzha TGY. Muzha seems to be the "classic roasted TGY".

Jun 16th, '10, 15:44

by DewDropofJade » Jun 16th, '10, 15:44

P.S. @debunix, @Entropye...
I'm a little confused as to why you are recommending a Taiwanese TGY. TGY is a Chinese tea.

Edited by Moderator: First time poster is employed by the vendor promoted in the post. Promotion content deleted.

Jun 16th, '10, 15:50

by rabbit » Jun 16th, '10, 15:50

DewDropofJade wrote:P.S. @debunix, @Entropye...
I'm a little confused as to why you are recommending a Taiwanese TGY. TGY is a Chinese tea.
It is a Chinese tea but it is commonly grown in Taiwan as well (aka "formosa oolongs") and the island has some wonderful teas made there.

Jun 16th, '10, 16:54

by entropyembrace » Jun 16th, '10, 16:54

The history of tea in Taiwan and Fujian is closely linked since Taiwan is very close to Anxi geographically. Anyway a lot of tea varietals are grown in both places, including TGY. I recomended the Muzha TGY because it´s among the best roasted TGY´s I´ve tried and the only one still available :)

It´s just the same type of bush grown on the other side of the Taiwan Strait...not so different really. :wink:

Jun 16th, '10, 18:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 16th, '10, 18:17

... and there is Wuyi from Taiwan as well. :mrgreen:

Jun 16th, '10, 22:32

by entropyembrace » Jun 16th, '10, 22:32

Chip wrote:... and there is Wuyi from Taiwan as well. :mrgreen:
yes, wuyi is also part of fujian so it makes sense :)

though Taiwan wuyis don´t seem to be nearly as oxidized or roasted as most teas we see coming from the Wuyi mountain area.

Jun 16th, '10, 23:03

by debunix » Jun 16th, '10, 23:03

DewDropofJade wrote: P.S. @debunix
TGY varietal plants are grown in Taiwan, brought by people from Anxi who brought some of their traditional tea processing method with them. I bought this one because it was from one of my trusted suppliers who I was ordering from anyway, and I'd been looking for something a step up from my 'grocery store' tins of Sea Dyke without being impressed by my local shop offerings.

Jun 17th, '10, 14:06

by DewDropofJade » Jun 17th, '10, 14:06

Wow, thank you to everyone, for helping me understand.

+ Post Reply