Suggest some oolongs please...

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 30th, '06, 17:24

Re: my current favorite is

by Libertatis » Oct 30th, '06, 17:24

tenuki wrote:Baozhong 2nd prize from Floating Leaves Tea in Seattle. If your are ever in Seattle you need to check them out, they are in the Ballard area. Nice shop and great owners. They specialize in Oolongs!

-t
That is a good oolong, though i usually go to the TeaCup (on Queen Ann) as i have a friend who works there :) Wenshan Baozhong is one of my ultimate favorites! Wenshan Baozhong is legendary for its creamy taste and floral aroma!
"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." -Ben Franklin

Oct 30th, '06, 21:20
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: my current favorite is

by Chip » Oct 30th, '06, 21:20

Libertatis wrote:
That is a good oolong, though i usually go to the TeaCup (on Queen Ann) as i have a friend who works there :) Wenshan Baozhong is one of my ultimate favorites! Wenshan Baozhong is legendary for its creamy taste and floral aroma!
Wenshan Baozhong is awesome oolong...it is near the top of my Taiwan Oolong short list.

Dec 5th, '06, 23:06

by deadfingers » Dec 5th, '06, 23:06

Hmm I'll have to take note on these oolongs, I too want to get "experienced" with this type of tea. It seems like I would like oolongs a lot just from the general description of oolongs. Lots of cool places to buy from as well, there are a TON of teas out there. I'm glad I decided to get into tea. :)

Dec 5th, '06, 23:56

by Chip » Dec 5th, '06, 23:56

deadfingers wrote: Lots of cool places to buy from as well, there are a TON of teas out there. I'm glad I decided to get into tea. :)
lol...it is a double edged sword though. There are incredible oolongs out there, but just as many mediocre or bad ones. Although I have generally done very well with oolong selections, I know there are so many more that I would like. Sometimes I have to chill out and realize that I cannot try them all...at least not at once.

But they are so varied...so aromatic...and sooo flavorful...I love them.

Dec 6th, '06, 01:05

by deadfingers » Dec 6th, '06, 01:05

Well that's true but everyone has different tastes, I don't believe there are "bad" teas out there as much as there are different "tastes". I still can't wait to dive into the world of tea. :)

Dec 6th, '06, 09:31

by Chip » Dec 6th, '06, 09:31

deadfingers wrote:Well that's true but everyone has different tastes, I don't believe there are "bad" teas out there as much as there are different "tastes".
Believe me, THERE ARE REALLY BAD TEAS OUT THERE.

For some it is a freshness issue, others are just very low quality. And beware of some cheap teas...they may have been dumped on the foreign markets because they may have been exposed to pesticides such as DDT...or other contaminates.

These are very real and serious issues that most of us would rather not think about.

So always deal with reputable vendors and insist on harvest info including season and year of harvest.

Let the buyer beware...

After sounding quite gloomy...enjoy your tea. :roll:

Dec 6th, '06, 16:24

by deadfingers » Dec 6th, '06, 16:24

Hmm guess I should stick to companies like Adagio then. Not that I would buy from a "shady" place but it just makes it that much more prudent that I buy from someone reputable. I still like tea. :)

Dec 6th, '06, 18:01

by Chip » Dec 6th, '06, 18:01

deadfingers wrote:Hmm guess I should stick to companies like Adagio then. Not that I would buy from a "shady" place but it just makes it that much more prudent that I buy from someone reputable. I still like tea. :)
...lol...I still like tea too. I just stick to quality tea from quality concious vendors...

If I sense something is fishy about a vendor, like they do not share harvest info, I move on.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Dec 6th, '06, 18:50

by deadfingers » Dec 6th, '06, 18:50

Hah I wasn't implying that you were discouraging me from tea nor that you were into tea either. I was just staying that regardless of the bad stuff out there I still look forward to tea.

Dec 6th, '06, 19:16

by Chip » Dec 6th, '06, 19:16

deadfingers wrote:Hah I wasn't implying that you were discouraging me from tea nor that you were into tea either. I was just staying that regardless of the bad stuff out there I still look forward to tea.
Easy, dude...lol...I did not take your comments in a negative way at allllll...but since you are new to tea, I did not want you to be as naive as I was for years about the tea industry. It is basically good...just far from perfect.

I will try to find some articles I have about contaminants in tea...it is interesting and eye opening. If I find any of them, I will provide a link(s) here.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Dec 6th, '06, 20:12

by deadfingers » Dec 6th, '06, 20:12

Hey I am as cool as a cucumber. 8) I just didn't want anyone to take offense to my posts or anything. Yep I plan to learn a lot about tea from experienced tea drinkers and from my own experiences as well, can't wait. :)

Dec 18th, '06, 12:10

by tenuki » Dec 18th, '06, 12:10

I found a decent (not great, but acceptable) Dong Ding for super cheap at my local 'Ranch 99', an asian supermarket out here in the pacific northwest. It was 9 dollars for who knows how much, purhaps 8 ounces. The only way I knew what it was was from the grocer sticker on the shelf. lol. Anyway, it's my daily tea now for when I'm busy working and not paying attention to what I'm drinking. I get out the good stuff when I'm not working. :D

I bought a truely horrible oolong at the same time, which I just threw out, so I'm thinking it's a hit or miss thing. Still, now I have a nice, local, cheap source of a daily drinking oolong. May be worth a try if you have something like Ranch 99 near you.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

May 2nd, '07, 18:03

Re: Suggest some oolongs please...

by jdsears669 » May 2nd, '07, 18:03

rabbit wrote:The only two I've tried were wuyi and silk oolong, I love the wuyi, but hated the silk. Could anyone suggest types of oolong they think I might like?
Oolong #40
Jasmine #12
Ooooh Darjeeling

May 8th, '07, 16:54

by jbenenson » May 8th, '07, 16:54

My hands-down favorite is Zhongsan Balye Oolong from specialteas.com. It's a Chinese oolong, and their catalog number is 519. If I had only one tea to drink for the rest of my life this would be it. :D

May 11th, '07, 22:41

by tenuki » May 11th, '07, 22:41

I had a remarkable aged formosa oolong from Hou De a few months back and strangely enough my current favorite I got on ebay from 'teahome' - here's the link. (I've got enough to last so I'm sharing.. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/TEAHOME-Formosa-Tai ... dZViewItem

Amazing Formosa Tung Ting IMHO, if you like your oolongs medium ox/roast and soupy this is for you. :)

+ Post Reply