Ti Kuan Yin issue

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 15th, '06, 18:06

by MarshalN » Mar 15th, '06, 18:06

Hmmm, having just joined this site and reading your replies, illium, I need to contact you as my tea supplier in the US :)

I think one thing to add though is that TieGuanYin, at least from what I have learned from my many hours spent in teahouses in Hong Kong, is that they ideally should have a lingering "aftertaste" that ordinary oolongs, especially Taiwanese oolongs, wouldn't have. Lots of people would try to sell you Taiwanese "TieGuanYin", but the real deal really should only come from Fujian.

Mar 18th, '06, 12:06

by Phyll » Mar 18th, '06, 12:06

MarshalN wrote:but the real deal really should only come from Fujian.
From Anxi in Fuchien (Fujian) province. The real deal is WONDERFUL! The wrong deal is just AWFUL! Once I didn't really quite understand the big deal about tiekuanyin either, until a store owner whipped up his secret stash of the recently harvested Anxi tiekuanyin...man, it was awesome! There is this strong floral bouquet, buttery smell, spring grass, forest floor, eucalyptus, etc...goes down easy with an aftertaste that lingers forever.

Mar 19th, '06, 22:57

by MarshalN » Mar 19th, '06, 22:57

Yess, and it's the aftertaste that makes a tieguanyin the real deal. Taiwan teas never have that no matter how fragrant it initially is. I am drinking some stuff that my girlfriend sent me from Beijing, coming from Taiwan. It's probably a autumn pick tieguanyin, and it's quite nice although a little sour.

Mar 20th, '06, 20:53

by javyn » Mar 20th, '06, 20:53

Would "Anxi Benshan Oolong" be the same thing as Anxi Tikwanyin?
John

Mar 22nd, '06, 21:16

by MarshalN » Mar 22nd, '06, 21:16

Well.... it could be, it could not. You can never really tell from a tea's name on any vendor's site/shop. You gotta taste it...

Mar 22nd, '06, 21:41

by rabbit » Mar 22nd, '06, 21:41

Well I just tried ti kuan yin for the first time the other day, and if I were to give the tea a SMELL, I'd say it was kinda buttery smelling... like a pastry of some kind, but tasted NOTHING like it smelled, it was very vegital and "green" as you say, at first I thought I might have not steeped it long enough, so I tried longer and it made it bitter, so I guess maybe that's just what it's supposed to taste like, it's OK I guess but I don't really like it that much.
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Mar 22nd, '06, 23:42

by MarshalN » Mar 22nd, '06, 23:42

The variety in tieguanyin is endless, actually. There is, crudely speaking, the dark roast and the light roast, and they taste very different. The grades are also vastly different. Where did you get this particular rendition?

Apr 4th, '06, 13:07

better iced

by jogrebe » Apr 4th, '06, 13:07

I've found that ti kuan yin is a lot better cold than hot in my opinion, but with that being said I won't be reordering when its used up.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Apr 4th, '06, 15:06

by Warden Andy » Apr 4th, '06, 15:06

Does anyone know if the Tie Guan Yin from Adagio is from Anxi? I see that it says it is from Fujian, but no specifics.

However, whether it's from Anxi or not, it's still really good.

Apr 5th, '06, 10:46

by yresim » Apr 5th, '06, 10:46

MarshalN wrote:The variety in tieguanyin is endless, actually. There is, crudely speaking, the dark roast and the light roast, and they taste very different. The grades are also vastly different. Where did you get this particular rendition?
It is Adagio's Ti Kuan Yin Trio.

~Yresim~
"I know! We could go to the Bronze, sneak in our own tea bags, and ask for hot water."
- Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Reptile Boy, Season 2)

Favorite teas: earl grey, assam, white

May 13th, '08, 12:54

by nmrfarm » May 13th, '08, 12:54

To cut the long story short, what yresim described is a very accurate view the modern chinese TGYs.

Yet the "highly oxidized", "butterscotch, wood, mushroom, earth, brandy" features yresim was looking are the signatures of traditional TGYs, similar to Wuyi oolongs.

"Nong Xiang " (thick/strong aroma/flagrance in meaning) versions of the mordern chinese TGYs are still much lighter oxidized/roasted then the traditional Chinese TGYs.

If one want to see what a traditional TGY is, the Taiwan TGYs todays offers a shadow of it. Still lighter in oxidation and roasting, it midway between a traditional Chinese TGY and the modern ones.

A few example of Taiwanese TGYs below

Roasted

Before Roasting

infused leafs and tea before roasting

May 13th, '08, 13:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » May 13th, '08, 13:08

Yum!

May 25th, '08, 08:14

by Beidao » May 25th, '08, 08:14

The "View new posts" messed up and showed postings very far back, but I'm glad 'cause that let me read this thread. And I was drinking a TKY much like the one decribed here while reading. Now I know SO much more about it.

Cooool :)
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

May 25th, '08, 16:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » May 25th, '08, 16:29

Beidao wrote:The "View new posts" messed up and showed postings very far back, but I'm glad 'cause that let me read this thread. And I was drinking a TKY much like the one decribed here while reading. Now I know SO much more about it.

Cooool :)
LOL, is that why we were all responding to a two year old post!

TKY still rules!
:)

May 26th, '08, 06:05

by Beidao » May 26th, '08, 06:05

Oops, I didn't even notice that the original post was 2 years old. Yeah, TKY will still rule 2010. And 2100. But then I'm not around to drink it anymore :cry:

Well, I might be if you believe everything health freaks say about tea :P
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

+ Post Reply