Zealong - New Zealand Oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Zealong - New Zealand Oolong

Postby Victoria » Aug 6th, '10, 16:40

TokyoB and I decided to check out New Zealong Oolong and see what it was all about!

There is A LOT of packaging!
1. A beautiful outer flip-top box with foam insert
2. Large Tea Tin
3. Vacuum sealed inner bag with ziplock
4. Large glossy booklet
5. Small informational insert

Ok, well this morning I had this tea for the second time. My thoughts are that it's "ok" . The first time I tried it, I thought it was a bit flat tasting. Funny because all the other elements are there for a great cuppa. The aroma is great as well as the appearance. Both very typical of a nice gaoshan. Even the brew color, a nice sparkling, clean, bright yellow.

This morning I brewed at work and enlisted the opinion of my co-worker who has been enjoying many different oolongs with me and is getting a more refined palate for greener oolongs. The first taste surprised me as wow, it did seem much better than I remembered. As the tea cooled slightly the flavor diminished and seemed flat again. My co-worked agreed, the hotter the better on this one, as the tea cools the flatness appears.

So my final thoughts are that I would not buy it again, as I enjoy my Taiwanese oolongs. But as with all new teas, I was very excited to have the opportunity to try this one.

Thanks to TokyoB for sharing with me and graciously sending all the packaging and materials so I could get the full effect.

User avatar Victoria
Scrolling: scrolling
Contact Victoria:

Re: Zealong - New Zealand Oolong

Postby TwoPynts » Aug 6th, '10, 17:25

Great review Victoria, thanks!

User avatar TwoPynts

Postby TokyoB » Aug 6th, '10, 20:22

Nice photos Victoria - well done. While I have only had the tea a couple of times I have to agree with you on the review. Although this looks and smells like a typical high-quality gaoshan cha from Taiwan, it is lacking in depth. It isn't bad mind you but it is lacking in some respect that I find a bit difficult to put my finger on. I believe this tea was not grown at a high altitude at all and perhaps that is the most significant factor, or at least one of them.
It was an interesting tea to try nonetheless.

User avatar TokyoB

Postby debunix » Aug 6th, '10, 21:39

Great review. I'd checked out their site recently and the very high price and shipping costs gave me pause. I wouldn't want to go through with it unless it was at least as special as that Hawaiian oolong (which I will be ordering eventually).

User avatar debunix
Contact debunix:

Postby guitar9876 » Aug 7th, '10, 15:03

Thanks for the review! That's a really beautiful cup by the way. :D

User avatar guitar9876
Contact guitar9876:

Postby chicagopotter » Aug 7th, '10, 15:07

It is now available domestically from at least one vendor that I know of: http://www.chicagoteagarden.com/buy/oolong-tea/zealong-pure.

User avatar chicagopotter
Contact chicagopotter:

Postby Victoria » Aug 7th, '10, 15:21

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for posting the link chicagopotter.

guitar9876 - that cup is still available at Artistic Nippon. :wink:

I wanted to add that this was the Pure Oolong, unroasted. There are two other choices:

Zealong Aromatic - "These leaves are roasted at high temperatures for a clear aroma and taste, with a hint of fruit and flowers."

Zealong Dark - "Repeated roasting gives these leaves a rich, deep taste, with a hint of charcoal on the nose and no bitterness."

User avatar Victoria
Scrolling: scrolling
Contact Victoria:

Today's Poll

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest