If you could drink only one oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 16th, '10, 22:31

Re: If you could drink only one oolong

by theory » Sep 16th, '10, 22:31

tingjunkie wrote:
tortoise wrote:Those look very appealing, but only seen them on Stephane's blog. I'll have to poke around some more.
Camellia Sinensis has a couple. The '91 Ali Shan is quite nice in my opinion, as long as you are into cigar and leather notes. It's definitely as masculine tea.
Those do sound appealing! I am gonna have to try some. I'm learning that I like the higher fired oolong :)

Sep 21st, '10, 13:39

by Alex » Sep 21st, '10, 13:39

Herb_Master wrote::?: Ginger Flower Dan Cong or Sparrow's Tongue Yan Cha :?:
I bought some of the Ginger Flower Dan Cong. Probably not the highest grade in the world....Any tips on brewing it....I hate brewing dan cong...I'm so bad at it.

Sep 21st, '10, 16:50

by tortoise » Sep 21st, '10, 16:50

tingjunkie wrote:
tortoise wrote:Those look very appealing, but only seen them on Stephane's blog. I'll have to poke around some more.
Camellia Sinensis has a couple. The '91 Ali Shan is quite nice in my opinion, as long as you are into cigar and leather notes. It's definitely as masculine tea.
Sounds great to me.

Sep 21st, '10, 20:19

by theory » Sep 21st, '10, 20:19

Zensuji wrote:
Herb_Master wrote::?: Ginger Flower Dan Cong or Sparrow's Tongue Yan Cha :?:
I bought some of the Ginger Flower Dan Cong. Probably not the highest grade in the world....Any tips on brewing it....I hate brewing dan cong...I'm so bad at it.
I always see people saying DC is finicky with regard to brewing. So far, I've not had any problems - maybe its beginners luck :) I keep the infusions really short - under 15 seconds. Basically, I fill the pot or gaiwan, walk it to my tea tray, count to 5 or so (if using my gaiwan), then pour. Or something like that. Wow, that was vague - sorry. :lol:

Sep 21st, '10, 22:13

by Tead Off » Sep 21st, '10, 22:13

Good DC is not hard to brew. People that complain about the astringency often are buying cheap, commercial grades. Good DC is wonderful. So many flavors and aromas to enjoy.

Sep 22nd, '10, 04:00

by Alex » Sep 22nd, '10, 04:00

I think thats the problem to be honest. Before I get to any good amount of flavour I get a boat load of astringency. I can either get an extremly subtle cup that's slightly lacking or if I go past that point the bitterness kicks in......oh well.

This is what I bought
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0531195603

very much on the cheap side....that will teach me :(

Sep 22nd, '10, 05:18

by Tead Off » Sep 22nd, '10, 05:18

Zensuji wrote:I think thats the problem to be honest. Before I get to any good amount of flavour I get a boat load of astringency. I can either get an extremly subtle cup that's slightly lacking or if I go past that point the bitterness kicks in......oh well.

This is what I bought
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0531195603

very much on the cheap side....that will teach me :(
If you follow my $30/100g rule, you should be able to buy a tea that delivers. Don't get me wrong. I would love to buy a good DC for less and if anyone can convince me that there is a tea out there for less, don't hesitate to mention it.

BTW, in London, you should pay a visit to East Teas or Postcard teas and try their Peach Nut DC. Yum, but $$$. Sorry, I don't have the Sterling symobol. :D

Sep 22nd, '10, 06:16

by Alex » Sep 22nd, '10, 06:16

Thanks Tead off. I think I'm going to start buying 50grams for £10. Seem like a decent price point. And would be in keeping with what you're saying....basically £10 = $15

I'm actually spending too much on budget teas.... I think i'm getting to the point where I'd rather drink a little less but better stuff....time to change my sweet spot and drinking habits. Maybe just keep a little budget tea here and there for plain old drinking. MMM tea for thought.

Sep 22nd, '10, 13:13

by Tead Off » Sep 22nd, '10, 13:13

Zensuji wrote:Thanks Tead off. I think I'm going to start buying 50grams for £10. Seem like a decent price point. And would be in keeping with what you're saying....basically £10 = $15

I'm actually spending too much on budget teas.... I think i'm getting to the point where I'd rather drink a little less but better stuff....time to change my sweet spot and drinking habits. Maybe just keep a little budget tea here and there for plain old drinking. MMM tea for thought.
You could panhandle in Mayfair for extra tea money. :D

Sep 23rd, '10, 04:22

by Alex » Sep 23rd, '10, 04:22

LOL :lol:

Just ordered some of this

http://www.wanlingteahouse.com/product. ... pring_2010

First time I've bought 50 grams of tea that comes wrapped in individual 8 gram bags.

I got a 90ml gaiwan here so I'll probably try half a bags worth per gaiwan session.

Sep 23rd, '10, 05:05

by Tead Off » Sep 23rd, '10, 05:05

Zensuji wrote:LOL :lol:

Just ordered some of this

http://www.wanlingteahouse.com/product. ... pring_2010

First time I've bought 50 grams of tea that comes wrapped in individual 8 gram bags.

I got a 90ml gaiwan here so I'll probably try half a bags worth per gaiwan session.
A good way to start is put in 1/3 leaves. I find that usually does the trick.

Sep 23rd, '10, 09:06

by Alex » Sep 23rd, '10, 09:06

is that 1/3 of a gaiwan full of rolled oolong you mean? Seems like loads....but I guess I'm probably close to 1/4 or 1/5 at the moment

Sep 23rd, '10, 10:13

by brlarson » Sep 23rd, '10, 10:13

If I could choose only one it would be either a variety of DHP or an old bush shui xian, and I would be happy with either of them. Shui Xian have been a staple of mine for the last couple of years. I like it because it's easy to find good examples without smashing your piggy bank. And I like the size and structure of the DHP's that I've tried -- Bei Dou #1 from Teaspring and Hou de and Jing's Imperial DHP, with new samples from Postcard Tea and Red Circle tea -- so I could certainly stand to drink it every day.

Sep 23rd, '10, 11:06

by tortoise » Sep 23rd, '10, 11:06

I'm already altering my response. For about the last five years, I drank more oolong than anything else, and I was living in Seattle where I could get a lot of High Mountain Taiwanese easily. Now, I'm sliding back into Japanese greens and, though they aren't the same, I'm finding that sencha quenches my greener oolong thirst. Now, when I want an oolong, I'm reaching for wuyi. I still don't think I've had a great one though and I've exhausted my tea allowance this month at O-Cha. :D

Sep 23rd, '10, 11:11

by TwoPynts » Sep 23rd, '10, 11:11

Is it just me or does anyone else find it funny that Red Umbrella's WuYi comes from Adagio.

http://www.redumbrella.ca/p663/Wuyi-Ool ... _info.html

:lol:

+ Post Reply