If you could drink only one oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 23rd, '10, 11:24
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: If you could drink only one oolong

by Victoria » Sep 23rd, '10, 11:24

Well it does appear odd, at first glance, but since Adagio is also a wholesale dealer it's not that uncommon. :)

Sep 23rd, '10, 12:08

by RaynBeatle » Sep 23rd, '10, 12:08

Monkey Picked. It's just...perfection to me.

Sep 24th, '10, 13:51

by theory » Sep 24th, '10, 13:51

tortoise wrote: I still don't think I've had a great one though and I've exhausted my tea allowance this month at O-Cha. :D
Here's to you finding a great one soon! I am currently sitting next to a list of teas I want to buy, but need to wait for me next paycheck :mrgreen:

Sep 24th, '10, 15:24

by Alex » Sep 24th, '10, 15:24

theory wrote:
tortoise wrote: I still don't think I've had a great one though and I've exhausted my tea allowance this month at O-Cha. :D
Here's to you finding a great one soon! I am currently sitting next to a list of teas I want to buy, but need to wait for me next paycheck :mrgreen:
I know that feeling. I got a load cued up on my watch list from DTH. Just need the life credits to purchase them. Birthday next month though so the wifey is instructed to buy teas :D

Sep 24th, '10, 16:10

by TwoPynts » Sep 24th, '10, 16:10

RaynBeatle wrote:Monkey Picked. It's just...perfection to me.
From my meager understanding, that is just a loose name given to high grade oolongs and quality and type can vary greatly. Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Where do you get your "Monkey Picked"?

Sep 24th, '10, 16:31

by spot52 » Sep 24th, '10, 16:31

I would choose a Ginseng Oolong. You get a nice oolong flavour with a bitter sweet experience from the Ginseng. It is a great tea.

Sep 24th, '10, 22:08

by theory » Sep 24th, '10, 22:08

Zensuji wrote:I got a load cued up on my watch list from DTH. Just need the life credits to purchase them. Birthday next month though so the wifey is instructed to buy teas :D
Ooh! I didn't think to add them to my watch list - I just made a manual (and ridiculously long) paper list. Your idea seems more sensible :D

Sep 26th, '10, 03:54

by Alex » Sep 26th, '10, 03:54

yeah I've done it like that for the last year. Plus it means my wife can log in and buy stuff when I've been good......like a wedding list......but for tea.....and only I get stuff. :lol:

Sep 26th, '10, 16:23

by Shambles » Sep 26th, '10, 16:23

tingjunkie wrote:Different teas for different moods and seasons... but so far I would say aged, high-fire Gao Shan never seems to disappoint. Especially the ones which are re-roasted every year for 15+ years. Yum! I've tried at least four teas in this category and they rank among my all-time favorites.
Funnily enough, I was buying tea yesterday in Vancouver, and tried a rather fantastic charcoal roasted 20 year old "Iron Buddha" oolong. All the cliches that I never really believed in - the taste coming from the back of your mouth, and a long, long after-taste - turned out to be true. The most complex taste I've ever come across.

This, naturally enough, would be my choice. Having said that, I'm a complete newcommer to gong fu cha - actually, I'm learning right now. I used a gaiwan for the first time today - doesn't that take you back! (I bought sample sizes of more ordinary teas, relatively speaking, to learn the basics with, by the way.)

By the way, I was at Real China Tea in Vancovuer, BC - must have spent two hours there, drinking around four different types of oolong and a puer. I learned a great deal, and spent a very enjoyable afternoon, drinking tea with artists, seniors (that spoke little English) and tourists.

Don't know if it's right to post a link to the store, which sells by mail order, but they can be found easily enough on google.

Sep 26th, '10, 17:41

by Victoria » Sep 26th, '10, 17:41

The store looks interesting some pricey gaiwans. And I cup I wouldn't mind having. :)

Oct 1st, '10, 03:11

by Herb_Master » Oct 1st, '10, 03:11

Zensuji wrote:
Herb_Master wrote::?: Ginger Flower Dan Cong or Sparrow's Tongue Yan Cha :?:
I bought some of the Ginger Flower Dan Cong. Probably not the highest grade in the world....Any tips on brewing it....I hate brewing dan cong...I'm so bad at it.
I bought a few (under several names, some already tranmslated into english as Ginger Flower, one called Por Tou and 1 called Po Tou which Imen replied was Ginger Flower when I asked her which Xiang it was)

I may not be the best person to ask for brewing tips for I do not seem to experience the same problems with DC that most Teachatters continually moan about.

I prefer to get body and taste out of my DC at the expense of aroma so possibly brew it a little lower temperature. (I set my Kamjove to 3/4 of the way up the Oolong setting - very little steam comes out when the green light comes on).

I use about 8 to 10gm in a 140 ml zi sha commercial grade pot. Start with about 20 seconds wash (and taste it) and vary from there according to the initial impression - no bitterness increase, too much bitterness decrease. Way too much one way or the other then discard wash else drink it.

I actually like a small amount of balanced bitterness in the brew. With my Dragon Tea House DCs I sometimes get a a light prickle on the tongue which I mildly enjoy and overbrewing brings too much bitterness.

With my Tea Habitat DCs I never get the prickle or too much bitterness, I adjust my infusion times to get a better balance of flavour/aroma and taste/body).

With DCs sourced elswhere I tend to get blander results, but occasionally some nice sessions that are similar to Tea Habitat commercial grade..

Oct 1st, '10, 03:22

by Herb_Master » Oct 1st, '10, 03:22

Zensuji wrote:LOL :lol:

Just ordered some of this

http://www.wanlingteahouse.com/product. ... pring_2010

First time I've bought 50 grams of tea that comes wrapped in individual 8 gram bags.

I got a 90ml gaiwan here so I'll probably try half a bags worth per gaiwan session.
That is my favourite, I ordered some of everything last year and the year before (have not bought any yet in 2010)

It is IMO the best price performer I preferred it to the Hong Xin Te Chun, and the Can Sai Jin Pin Wang while as good if not better was not that much better to justify the price.

I see the website has finally been revamped, it may be time to place an order, I have yet to try an oxidised TGY.

I note the 2008 Can Sai is now selling at half the price it was 2 years ago. Has it lost all it's freshness? I still have a couple of small foil packs left, should I try them now or leave about 5 years and see what aging does?

Oct 4th, '10, 20:23

by RedUmbrellaTea » Oct 4th, '10, 20:23

Adagio is a wholesale supplier of tea, and there are no wuyi tea bag suppliers in Canada; and because of demand, we carry this type of tea. We hope that explains things.

Oct 5th, '10, 01:19

by bagua7 » Oct 5th, '10, 01:19

Probably high mountain from Taiwan due to the health benefits and stuff.

Oct 5th, '10, 05:46

by Alex » Oct 5th, '10, 05:46

Herb_Master wrote:It is IMO the best price performer I preferred it to the Hong Xin Te Chun
I totally agree with that. Its an incredible tea. I just got the Hong Xin Te Chun today and its lovely but not quite as good as the jiu stuff....there's not much in it though. Once I get pass 3-4 brews you can just brew it for ages and it taste amazing. my last brews of it are like 10 mins and its still tasty with no hint of bitterness. The smell reminds me of the sort of creamy sweetness you get from freshly cooked new potatoes.....bit of a weird link I know.

I love the little bags it comes in as well. First time I've had my tea like that and it feel very special opening a little bag of it.

thanks for the DC tips I'll give them a shot!

+ Post Reply