90's FengHuang Dancong?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 17th, '10, 12:07

Re: 90's FengHuang Dancong?

by the_skua » Sep 17th, '10, 12:07

I've had this tea for a while and originally disliked it as being too mild and subtle. I recently pulled it out again and cranked up the leaf ratio, and was much happier. I nearly filled my 2oz gaiwan with leaves (about 85-90% full) and produced some great steeps following these very helpful guidelines from TeaHabitat. I steeped the leaves a half dozen times and then left them in the gaiwan for 24 hours, and, unfortunately unlike puerh, the leaves did not hold on well the next day and produced only very strongly bitter and harsh tea. Learned that lesson the hard way...

Others are right though, you should probably start with something cheaper and a little more mainstream as your introduction to DC.

Anyway, here are my two sets of thoughts on that particular tea.

Sep 17th, '10, 14:17

by Tead Off » Sep 17th, '10, 14:17

the_skua wrote:I've had this tea for a while and originally disliked it as being too mild and subtle. I recently pulled it out again and cranked up the leaf ratio, and was much happier. I nearly filled my 2oz gaiwan with leaves (about 85-90% full) and produced some great steeps following these very helpful guidelines from TeaHabitat. I steeped the leaves a half dozen times and then left them in the gaiwan for 24 hours, and, unfortunately unlike puerh, the leaves did not hold on well the next day and produced only very strongly bitter and harsh tea. Learned that lesson the hard way...

Others are right though, you should probably start with something cheaper and a little more mainstream as your introduction to DC.

Anyway, here are my two sets of thoughts on that particular tea.
Wow, I wish I could taste all those things in my tea. :D

Sep 17th, '10, 14:35

by britt » Sep 17th, '10, 14:35

I've been very happy with Hou De's various Dan Congs have have brewed them with good results in both porcelain and clay. I do agree with the advice to start off lighter and increase the time/leaf later if you need to.

Also remember that Hou De usually posts pictures of the brewed tea. For some of the Dan Congs that didn't taste right at the beginning, I went to the website and used the pics as a reference as to what the brewed tea should look like. This guided me to much, much better results.

Oct 11th, '10, 23:38

by dylanstea » Oct 11th, '10, 23:38

Tea4Todd wrote:I'm still new to the oolong game, and was wondering about purchasing this. It says that proper gongfu method is required...would this be too advanced for me? I'm attracted to it for the price..19 dollars for the 2 oz is a decent deal. Can anyone tell me anything about this tea? Steeping recommendations? Flavors? etc.
Dan Congs are by far the most difficult oolong to brew. Best advice:
PLAY around with the three tools you have: water temp, leaf amount, and time. If it's not bitter, see how far you can push it until it starts to bite back. And observe the color of the liquor as an indication.

Did you find manage to find a taste that you like??

+ Post Reply