Real Da Hong Pao: where and how much?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Re: Real Da Hong Pao: where and how much?

Postby Bryan_drinks_te... » Jan 11th, '11, 01:52

Since this is a DHP post...

JK teas mentions having a Zheng Yan DHP. Would this be authentic too, or just...something else?

Thanks all, you guys are great,

Bryan
Bryan_drinks_te...

Postby wyardley » Jan 11th, '11, 02:08

Zheng Yan (正岩) means it's (supposedly) from within the so-called scenic area, i.e.,. the central protected area.

See http://houdeblog.com/?p=47 for a more detailed explanation of the 3 common categories.

I don't believe it says anything about what actual varietal or what generation from the original bush it is.

I would take vendor claims about tea being zheng yan or being second or third generation Da Hong Pao with a big grain of salt.
wyardley

Postby Bryan_drinks_te... » Jan 11th, '11, 13:38

JK teas says it's from the Qi Dan variety. It does say it's made from the cuttings of the original, but that doesn't really say anything - as it could very well be way down the line.

I have some aged DHP from wuyi star, about 6 years old. I've compared with some higher grades of DHP, and was somewhat impressed. I figured this could be a slightly higher grade than the others that i've tried, but I'm also willing to keep looking. I noticed someone mentioned postcard teas, so I might check them out.

thanks for the help/advice Wyardley!

-bryan
Bryan_drinks_te...

Postby brlarson » Jan 29th, '11, 14:47

I don't share Mayayo's dream of tasting DHP from the mother trees, but this looks interesting: http://www.postcardteas.com/tea/000?product_id=331

I just ordered a bit and will hold onto it until I have collected other worthy specimens to taste comparatively. I have more earthly (so called) DHPs set aside already from Postcard Teas (not the fragment) and from Red Circle Tea. I might try to collect a few more examples before I taste them, possibly in early fall.
brlarson

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions