"Lady Purple" Dan Cong?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 19th, '11, 18:53

"Lady Purple" Dan Cong?

by Poohblah » Jan 19th, '11, 18:53

Hi guys,
I am trying to find out more about a DC that I have been enjoying. I bought it from a local tea shop under the name "Lady Purple Dan Cong" (listed online here). As far as I can tell, this doesn't translate to a recognizable name for a DC (not that I am terribly familiar with all varieties of DC anyway). So I am posting this information in the hope that somebody recognizes this tea, as I would like to try this variety from other vendors. If nobody is familiar with it, I'll keep enjoying it anyway :D
Dry leaves: strong, sharp dried apricot aroma, woody notes in background. Big, dark, nearly black leaves
Wet leaves: rounded apricot aroma, roasted or charcoal notes in background.
First infusions: apricot and peach flavors at the fore, with full, strong, and sharp roasted or charcoal flavor. Slight but not unpleasant bitterness. Liquor is dark amber. Sharp honey aftertaste.
Later infusions: flavor stays much the same, mostly just rounds off, no bitterness. Liquor slowly becomes a lighter amber, honey aftertaste becomes sweeter and more pleasant.

Any ideas what this lady might be? :)

Jan 19th, '11, 21:08

Re: "Lady Purple" Dan Cong?

by bryan_drinks_tea » Jan 19th, '11, 21:08

interesting. just curious, how many other dan congs have you had and if so, what did you think of them compared to this one?

Jan 19th, '11, 22:44

Re: "Lady Purple" Dan Cong?

by Poohblah » Jan 19th, '11, 22:44

Only about a half dozen - a couple xue lan xiang, a couple mi lan xiang, a few others. Mostly I recall a peachy taste to them, without any astringency or bitterness. Which is why I'm so interested in this one, because it has an almost dark coffee like flavor in addition to fruity flavors, and this is something I haven't seen mentioned of other DCs. Normally, it seems to me, DCs are identified by their floral aromas, but I'm not familiar with the smells of flowers, so I can't identify a "magnolia fragrance" or "orchid fragrance."

+ Post Reply