5 Elements, Jalan Sultan, Kuala Lumpur

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 2nd, '12, 21:40

Re: 5 Elements, Jalan Sultan, Kuala Lumpur

by needaTEAcher » Dec 2nd, '12, 21:40

Awesome! I dug out his card: yup yup, Tung Ting Tea Center, Hiew Yee Choy. Who is your mentor there? PM me if you do't want to print his name in public? Mr. Hiew is my Malaysian teacher's teacher, which is how I met him. When we first met, he was sweeping up a brocken master teapot and laughing about it!

For me, I didn't buy anything because when I was there (this past summer-2012), he has all very, very high-end stuff: master-level pots running thousands usd! In no way because his stuff isn't good. It's beyond great. I just got the impression spending time with him and his crew (a whole gang of teashop owners) that each shop specializes in a certain level, with new shops selling lower quality, cheaper goods, and the older, more established places selling more expensive, higher quality stuff. He seemed, as far as I could tell, the grandaddy of the lot, selling the nicest pots around and the most expensive. Actually, I was interested in buying from him, since I was getting pots and tea at the time and he had been so kind to me, but he encouraged me not to!!!! He sent me down the way to the other guy on the floor, who was shifting from lower to middle-end goods, and who gave me some really really stupid great discounts (when his wife wasn't there... :lol: ). Mr. Hiew figured my budget would fit better in that shop. You can't beat a shop owner who recognizes that another shop will suite your needs better, and sends you away!

Anyway, that's why I recommend sipping and not buying, unless you have serious cash. But if he has anything on the cheaper side I would say he is definitely a super trust-worthy guy and I would love for anyone to read all this and buy from him. He gave me a 250g brick of some tasty 2000 sheng: part of a Fu Wu Sou Shi (as always, sorry for my awful transliterations) 4-brick kilo deal, for free, just because I liked it and he liked how enthusiastic I was.

BTW, I posted a photo of a Da Hong Pao Zhuni pot a while back, in another thread. That was at Mr. Hiew's shop.

When were you last there?

Dec 3rd, '12, 07:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Dec 3rd, '12, 07:13

I call him my mentor, but it is not a stated relationship. I visit his shop every time I visit KL usually about 5 or 6 times each visit and drink tea with the tea friends at the back of the shop. English is not his first (or 2nd language) so on some visits he rarely speaks to me. But if there are only the 2 of us, he speaks and passes on tips advice and guidance.
When I return from other shops and show him my purchases he comments on them being, bad, good or great purchases.

He is Ah Ming from Wisdom Arts see http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ng#p111769

Other friends of his such as Scott are much more talkative, but all defer to Ah Ming. It is not easy to get into the group, if Auchkw 's experience is common - he turned up after my recommendation but both May and Ah Ming were deep in conversation with others and he was only able to converse with the sales girl at the front of the shop.

Given a chance speak to May first and tell her of your viits to Tung Ting, and connection to myself on the forum.

If you are still around, there is a very interesting character called William Hwang above the old China Cafe - but don't get your camera out until you have revealed your interest in tea - he shoos snap happy tourists away. It is not in the same league as the other tea shops, but William is an amazing character and the visit should be illuminating.

Dec 3rd, '12, 09:25

by needaTEAcher » Dec 3rd, '12, 09:25

Herb_Master wrote:It is not easy to get into the group, if Auchkw 's experience is common - he turned up after my recommendation but both May and Ah Ming were deep in conversation with others and he was only able to converse with the sales girl at the front of the shop...If you are still around, there is a very interesting character called William Hwang above the old China Cafe - but don't get your camera out until you have revealed your interest in tea - he shoos snap happy tourists away. It is not in the same league as the other tea shops, but William is an amazing character and the visit should be illuminating.
I feel that. I was fortunate enough to meet someone my first day (named Edmund) who is fairly high ranking in the tea and tea ware vendor group, and who gave me good cred. Every shop I went into with him I was able to join the back room thereafter with no problems, even several months later when I returned. Edmund gave a lecture on teapots as an investment at the tea expo in KL in 2012. Very, very lucky for me!

As per William-actually I had forgotten his name-I met him while there. He said we could take photos of each other, but not the tea room, lol. He was very kind, and CRAZY about his coffe-especially the fermented coffee. Very nice though. I wouldn't buy anything from his shop, but I enjoyed drinking my tea, prepared by him.

Mr. Hiew's card, for anyone going there. He can hook you up! Here is a photo of his shop. My wife painted a card for him to thank him for his kindness. I bet if you show him the photo, he will introduce you around...
Attachments
DSCN2104.JPG
DSCN2104.JPG (65.39 KiB) Viewed 683 times
DSCF8010.JPG
DSCF8010.JPG (18.81 KiB) Viewed 683 times

+ Post Reply