Bai Ji Guan 50ml Shi Pao Gisui Teacup

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 17th, '11, 08:59

Re: Bai Ji Guan 50ml Shi Pao Gisui Teacup

by ChinesePottery » Apr 17th, '11, 08:59

very nice pictures

Sep 12th, '11, 21:19

by wh&yel-apprentice » Sep 12th, '11, 21:19

Herb_Master wrote:The tea cost 128 Malaysian Ringits for 100 grams.
4 grams in a 50ml yixing

before the first Infusion

after the 9th Infusion

I really liked this tea when I sampled it in Penang, so it was disappointing when back in Kuala Lumpur and I mentioned my purchase in a couple of Pu Erh oriented teashops they kindly informed me that Bai Ji Guan was not performing very well these days, indeed rather poorly and that it was not as good as it used to be.

Fortunately when I was in Jian Dian teashop buying Shui Jin Gui - teamaster L M Chong disagreed - saying that it had been badly made by a few teamakers, and the younger generation's trend to require greener Oolongs had resulted in some mild and ineffectual offerings, but made in the traditional roast it was still a wonderful tea.
But you are drinking not just a Bai Ji Guan, but a special one from a mother tree, supposedly of superior quality. "traditional roast"? I thought with the yellow leaves, this was one of the less oxidized of the prized varietals of wuyi, now much roasted vs oxidation???

Where can I get this online? You mentioned it again in the 'what are you drinking' thread 10days ago, I can only find a mother tree version from one other seller and they limit to only a 20g sample per customer :( <<< that would only last me two brew sessions, barely enough to get to know how to best brew it for my tastes. Buy a few kilos next time you're in Malaysia and sell some to us :D. Or maybe do a 'group buy" (don't know if that's against the rules for this site).

Herb_Master wrote:With the 6th infusion,I drank the 2nd half [2nd gulp] down quickly without letting it wander over the tongue and interior of the mouth - as it washed down the throat I was struck by a sweet violet and honey type of fragrance wafting up the back of the nasal area

7th Infusion 31 seconds

8th Infusion 50 seconds

Dtermined to drink it all in 1 gulp :lol:
very, very pleasant but none of the complexity of the earlier (1st 6) brews as I let it flow over my throat I determined to have a much longer 9th Infusion

and as I waited the perfume over my throat stayed on, and on, and on!

9th Infusion 3 minutes

Tea = AmazingTeapot = Fantastic
Teacup = Wonderful
I like that highlighted description, seems to fit with what DJG is supposed to present, but all the 'woody' notes suggest a highly-roasted version, closer to a DHP, did you notice any chocolate aromas typical of wuyi high-roasted rocktea?

from the color (which might not be accurate on my screen) of the clear glass fair cup, it looks like the infusions range in a broad *golden* yellow color, deep amber...darker than I might expect from looking at some other examples.

But there is another thread comparing teaspring, teacuppa & another of the BJG, all seemed to be less than ideal?

Sep 12th, '11, 21:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Sep 12th, '11, 21:49

I visit Malaysia annually, and my home base is Kuala Lumpur. I was lucky to get 'in' with one of the tea shops there and I have become one of the circle :D Note that it is a different circle to the one that Auch moves in. But by virtue of being 'in' I am fairly confident that what I am told is 'bona fide'. I can go to one shop that is in the circle, and when I return to my 'mother shop' they can tell me what I have been drinking, what I have purchased, and whether or not I have made a wise choice. It is at the same time both chastening and exhilirating, particularly when they compliment me on my choice, perhaps not so when they say they have something better and proceed to get it out and brew it for me.

The Bai Ji Guan comes from a shop in Penang, and I sense a little bit of 'sales talk' in our conversation, I have been there twice, a year apart,
and he remembered me on the re-visit, which was when I bought the Bai Ji Guan. I shall be back in Malaysia in the early part of next year, but my hostess is tired of Penang and we shall probably visit Malacca and Johor instead.

The shop in Penang is called Jing Yu Tong and has been a wholesale supplier of Chinese Tea in Malaysia for 5 0 years or so - until recently oall of Teacuppa's teas were supplied by them, but now according to William Ma Teacuppa have started to source some of their own.

The shop is run by William, I would guess he is in his late 20s, for an english speaking customer like myself he was the Main Man, from initial conversation, brewing samples for me, putting my purchases together and everything - everything until the final invoice was being prepared, then his mother stepped forward and scrutinised, sure enough he had missed something, and my invoice was raised slightly.

2 Years ago he was keen to start a web presence, last year he was still keen but diffident of knowing how to do it. He does however say that he is only to willing to deal with overseas customers, by phone, fax or email

Jing Yu Tong Industries, SDN, BHD
Wholesale, Retail, Chinese Tea & Porcelain
wbm8528@yahoo.com.cn
No. 142, Campbell Street
Georgetown, 10100
Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
tel 04 - 2299892
fax 04 - 2642892
H/P 012 - 4951900

- - - -
I WILL be revisiting Jian Dian Teahouse in Kuala Lumpur
and WOULD consider a group buy for mother tree Shui Jin Gui plus a first generation clone of Shui Jin Gui - if Master Tea Roaster L M Chong (the lady in my avatar) has any in stock.

Sep 12th, '11, 21:54

by Herb_Master » Sep 12th, '11, 21:54

I often see Chocolate and Cocoa in tasters observations, but do not find myself bringing either idea to mind when tasting teas. I guess my exposure to chocolate as a child ( I rarely partake of it nowadays) was usually in a milky, sweetened version and raw unadulterated cocoa is not something likely to pop into my mind when I am searching for adjectives to descrbe tea.

Sep 12th, '11, 22:01

by auhckw » Sep 12th, '11, 22:01

Just saw this thread. So much temptation in page 1... nice :D

Sep 13th, '11, 06:33

by Herb_Master » Sep 13th, '11, 06:33

wh&yel-apprentice wrote:

But you are drinking not just a Bai Ji Guan, but a special one from a mother tree, ...........
... I can only find a mother tree version from one other seller and they limit to only a 20g sample per customer .......Buy a few kilos next time you're in Malaysia and sell some to us :D. Or maybe do a 'group buy" (don't know if that's against the rules for this site).

But there is another thread comparing teaspring, teacuppa & another of the BJG, all seemed to be less than ideal?
One thing that bemused me, both with mother tree BJG with William, and mother tree and very old clone of SJG with L M Chong - was the huge canister of leaves.

From Imen we learn that an old DC tree may produce only 3 Kilos of tea per year.

How many kilos can a A Si Da Ming Cha mother tree produce each year?

Jing Yu Tong used to supply Teacuppa, it may have been from the same source :roll:

+ Post Reply