What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Re: What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Postby fire_snake » Apr 3rd, '11, 19:54

David R. wrote:
Of course, you can collect plenty of styles of teapots and try every combinations. I won't lie to you, that is a bit what I am doing.


I think we were bitten by the same bug. :wink:

User avatar fire_snake
Posts: 243
Joined: Jan 15, '11

Re: What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Postby iannon » Apr 3rd, '11, 20:48

fire_snake wrote:
David R. wrote:
Of course, you can collect plenty of styles of teapots and try every combinations. I won't lie to you, that is a bit what I am doing.


I think we were bitten by the same bug. :wink:

i use a small porcelain kutani kyusu for oolongs and pu's myself

User avatar iannon
Posts: 1631
Joined: Dec 30, '08
Location: The foot of the great Smoky Mountains

Re: What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Postby fire_snake » Apr 3rd, '11, 22:01

iannon wrote:
fire_snake wrote:
David R. wrote:
Of course, you can collect plenty of styles of teapots and try every combinations. I won't lie to you, that is a bit what I am doing.


I think we were bitten by the same bug. :wink:

i use a small porcelain kutani kyusu for oolongs and pu's myself


May I see a photo? (Only if you have one handy, otherwise I'd simply appreciate a link if it's displayed somewhere.)

User avatar fire_snake
Posts: 243
Joined: Jan 15, '11

Re: What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Postby iannon » Apr 3rd, '11, 22:11

fire_snake wrote:
iannon wrote:
fire_snake wrote:
David R. wrote:
Of course, you can collect plenty of styles of teapots and try every combinations. I won't lie to you, that is a bit what I am doing.


I think we were bitten by the same bug. :wink:

i use a small porcelain kutani kyusu for oolongs and pu's myself


May I see a photo? (Only if you have one handy, otherwise I'd simply appreciate a link if it's displayed somewhere.)

yea sure..it was part of a set i got from a thrift store to be honest..its come in very handy as a gaiwan alternative or an all around porcelain brewer.
Image

User avatar iannon
Posts: 1631
Joined: Dec 30, '08
Location: The foot of the great Smoky Mountains

Re: What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Postby fire_snake » Apr 3rd, '11, 23:00

iannon wrote:
fire_snake wrote:
iannon wrote:
fire_snake wrote:
David R. wrote:
Of course, you can collect plenty of styles of teapots and try every combinations. I won't lie to you, that is a bit what I am doing.


I think we were bitten by the same bug. :wink:

i use a small porcelain kutani kyusu for oolongs and pu's myself


May I see a photo? (Only if you have one handy, otherwise I'd simply appreciate a link if it's displayed somewhere.)

yea sure..it was part of a set i got from a thrift store to be honest..its come in very handy as a gaiwan alternative or an all around porcelain brewer.
Image


That actually looks quite nice (crackling, etc.) Thank you.

User avatar fire_snake
Posts: 243
Joined: Jan 15, '11

Re: What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Postby bagua7 » Apr 4th, '11, 19:06

Deleted.

Last edited by bagua7 on Aug 28th, '11, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar bagua7
Posts: 1388
Joined: Jul 21, '10

Re: What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Postby fire_snake » Apr 4th, '11, 23:09

bagua7 wrote:Fire Snake,

I wouldn't buy Yixing online. This is my personal opinion and the fact is that I don't have any Yixing pots yet. I will the day I travel to mainland China in person and feel the desired pot on the palm of my hand.

I forgot to mention Japanese pots (since you haven't shown an interest in Taiwanese clay which works well for Li Shan) and particularly Sado Mumyoi Yaki pots:

http://hojotea.com/item_e/mumyoi.htm

Good luck with your decision.


Oh dear . . .

Tool late, I'm afraid. :(

This thread will take the expected course. I couldn't help but give in.

I've already got Stephane Erler on the case:

http://teamasters.blogspot.com/

http://www.blogger.com/profile/02433657904904185875

And here she is:

http://teamasters.blogspot.com/2008/10/ ... ixing.html

*sigh*

There's no turning back now. :twisted:

Christian

User avatar fire_snake
Posts: 243
Joined: Jan 15, '11

Re: What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Postby fire_snake » Apr 5th, '11, 09:05

I will add, however, that those Sado red clay teapots are very intriguing. Does anyone on TC have one? Hojo doesn't have any prices advertised, nor pot specifications (size, volume, etc.)

Christian

User avatar fire_snake
Posts: 243
Joined: Jan 15, '11

Re: What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Postby Chip » Apr 5th, '11, 09:40

Secrets of the universe revealed on TeaChat :mrgreen: ... scroll down around halfway.

http://hojotea.com/item_e/available.htm

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22827
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Postby tenuki » Apr 5th, '11, 15:49

I have two such pots - both I bought locally. The first was being used on the owners back desk of a teahouse I frequent - I had to talk them out of it. Most recently this one:
Image

Look for a clear high, bell-like ring, not just a high tone. If you have a chance also drink a li shan tea you are familiar with brewing in a gaiwan in the pot before buying it - this will affirm that the result is 'better' than a gaiwan for you.

I have found that good green oolong pots are the hardest to come buy. Good luck!

User avatar tenuki
Posts: 2350
Joined: Oct 23, '06
Location: Seattle Area
Contact tenuki:

Re: What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Postby bagua7 » Apr 6th, '11, 03:56

Deleted.

Last edited by bagua7 on Aug 28th, '11, 02:16, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar bagua7
Posts: 1388
Joined: Jul 21, '10

Re: What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Postby fire_snake » Apr 6th, '11, 09:15

So I'm getting the impression that:

1) It is more difficult to find a pot suitable for Taiwanese high mountain Oolongs (like Li Shan and Yu Shan?)

2) It might be better to dedicate a pot to a different Oolong to be on the safe side until more experimentation is done to find a suitable pot. Correct?

Too bad I like Li Shan and Yu Shan so much. But that's what my trusty gaiwan is for. ;)

User avatar fire_snake
Posts: 243
Joined: Jan 15, '11

Re: What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Postby tortoise » Apr 6th, '11, 10:53

Tenuki, you scalawag.

I knew it was you who bought that pot. :twisted:

Last edited by tortoise on Apr 6th, '11, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar tortoise
Posts: 705
Joined: Sep 01, '10
Location: Northwest Louisiana

Re: What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Postby Ambrose » Apr 6th, '11, 11:29

Glad you liked the tea :D

I have one of the new reduction fired sado clay pots. I love it so much Ive got a kyusu on the way. It is similar to shigaraki but a deeper aftertaste with slightly less "smoothing" Dont get me wrong it makes a very smooth, nice body, long aftertaste type of brew. Ive tried lots of teas with it, so far everything works well with it. Expect more in 1-2 months. :mrgreen:

User avatar Ambrose
Posts: 306
Joined: Jan 02, '10
Location: South Texas

Re: What kind of pot for Li Shan Oolong? (Or Bai Ji Guan)

Postby David R. » Apr 6th, '11, 14:34

Ambrose wrote:Glad you liked the tea :D

I have one of the new reduction fired sado clay pots. [...] I've tried lots of teas with it, so far everything works well with it. Expect more in 1-2 months. :mrgreen:


Same here. I was afraid at first it would take away too many details. It doesn't. I have found some teas for which I prefer other teapots. Some come out dry, less sweet. But according to Akira it is normal for a new teapot and it won't be the case in anew weeks.

Best pairing for me is with japanese green teas. But I have no taiwanese gao shan cha to try it with.

User avatar David R.
Posts: 1112
Joined: Oct 06, '09
Location: France
Contact David R.:


Today's Poll



Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest