Master Oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 18th, '12, 10:35

Re: Master Oolong

by Tead Off » Mar 18th, '12, 10:35

Herb_Master wrote:
Tead Off wrote: This tea is wasted in a gaiwan. So many of the deeper nuances can be had in a good zhuni teapot.
The difference is remarkable. ... ... ... ... I can't emphasize enough how a good zhuni pot will bring out the best in oolong teas.
:?: Care to hazard an explanation, as to why this should be :?:

Some years ago, I learned of Yixing Zisha and it's ability to absorb tea flavours and improve the brewing experience once a pot has been seasoned with and for the type of tea to be regularly enjoyed with said teapot.

Then the word in the teashops, and on these boards extols the excellence of zhuni, particularly yan cha. We are also told that zhuni is higher fired, and less absorbtive, but retains heat well.

Is it the heat retention throughout the infusion that is the dominant force?

Why then do I get magical results from really high density packing such that infusions can be 1s 1s 3s 5s 7s etc; for this scenario belies that heat retention can make much difference between thick walled zi sha and medium walled zhuni :!: - possibly even gaiwans when the infusions are so short.

Is it maybe the prewarming and subsequent heat loss - the time between warming and filling with dry leaf? When filling a too hot too handle zhuni with long twisted yan cha can take me some time - do I need a purpose made tea funnel and wear gloves to speed up this part of the brewing :lol:
Too much thinking for my brain. I don't have to know why. What would it change? Either you have a good pot or you don't. I don't believe most of the reasons people give anyway. 1s or 10s seems far away from the actual experience and the tools at hand. Do you know what I mean? :D

Mar 19th, '12, 14:28

by teaisme » Mar 19th, '12, 14:28

Herb_Master wrote:

Is it maybe the prewarming and subsequent heat loss - the time between :D
I was asking myself that the other day, and those were the same rough thoughts that came into my head

The times in between :idea: , how fast heat is lost not while brewing but in between infusion, and after the pre-warming and rinse

I was asking myself this because it always seemed like I would brew at a faster pace with certain teapots vs others. It also explain why I don't like to gongfu brew at work with an electric kettle, just too much of a hassle to maintain right temp , it's no fun to be pouring water into kettle for next infusion while trying to enjoy what is in front of you. But if you just enjoy what is in front of you and boil water after drinking things cool down more then I want

May 27th, '12, 18:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » May 27th, '12, 18:30

Herb_Master wrote:Drinking Tonight

2011 Zhenyan Da Hong Pao Yan Cha from Buddha Country Cliff (佛国岩).

It is excellent

Not too heavily roasted, 6.5 gm in a 170ml zhuni

Nice mix of wood, roast and minerals

Only 5 days to arrive from Poland (including the wekend)
Had this again today, drinking it in the garden, the sun is shining, and the blossom is abundant.

7.3 gm in 170ml zhuni. seems more fragrant than my above description - but maybe it was where I was sitting - surrounded by Choisya Ternata Sundance in full bloom.

Since my first try, on further occasions, I had not experienced the same high as my first session, so did not comment here - but today it was sublime.

Less roast, gentle wood and overflowing with minerals and thirst/brain quenching gentleness.

Jun 1st, '12, 18:20

by Jack_teachat » Jun 1st, '12, 18:20

Really liking the look of this site, those yanchas look great and they have some really interesting looking teas of other kinds. Will have to order some samples! :D

Jun 2nd, '12, 05:20
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

by sriracha » Jun 2nd, '12, 05:20

How did I miss that site? :o

Think I'll get a few greens...

Jun 3rd, '12, 13:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Jun 3rd, '12, 13:58

andrzej bero wrote:Herb_Master, I am interested in your opinion after you will try:
Herb_Master wrote:1 2011 Zhenyan Da Hong Pao Yan Cha from Buddha Country Cliff

because I just ordered sample
Herb_Master wrote:3 2011 Huiwan Keng Shui Xian - Zhenyan Cha
because I did not order (yet?)
I have recently opened the 2011 Huiwan Keng Shui Xian - Zhenyan Cha
a fortnight ago I was pleased with it's performance but not ectstatic, today I gave it a more serious outing.

6.3 gm in a 105ml Zhuni by Gao Jian Jun.

1st infusion (no rinse) 16 seconds - mellow yet vibrant at the same time, extremely drinkable

2nd infusion 15 seconds - more of the 1st, softly balanced and very refreshing, gentle but noticeable roast, soft wood and subdued fruity flavours

3rd infusion 19 seconds - a linear continuation of the first 2, no great changes

4th Infusion 25 seconds - the roast is disappearing and the fruity flavours emerging as dried fruit, possibly apricot or plum.

5th infusion 40 seconds - a little too thin, like the 4th but weaker, it seems the leaves are giving up

6th infusion 3 minutes - regained the strength I want, the dried fruit is back, and a little fragrance - but time for me to move on to another tea.

Overall impression. Very enjoyable, but not as serious as I was expecting.

Plus points
- - Exquisite, very refreshing and pleasing -
Maybe Minus points
- - Not as multi dimensional as I would have liked,
- - little evidence of minerals that I look for in ZhenYanCha

Will make an excellent everyday morning drink, but not a contender for evening meditation.

Jun 6th, '12, 09:08

by gasninja » Jun 6th, '12, 09:08

Has anyone tried there five stars 93 sx? Or any of there other yanchas.

Jun 6th, '12, 17:18

by chado.my.teaway » Jun 6th, '12, 17:18

I.

Its very strong, the taste is very complicated(earthy tones with fruity tones) . Description on page is very good. I prefer this 2011 SX old bush, but this 93, its a very nice experience. In some way it reminds me pu ehr tea.

Herb said about DHP.

Jul 12th, '12, 16:38

by iovetea » Jul 12th, '12, 16:38

iannon wrote:Yoshiaki Hiruma is where i actually get my yearly dose of Temomicha. I did try one of his fermented oolong style ones..i think it was syansyan. quite different but nice
can you tell me where i can buy temomicha???

Jul 13th, '12, 23:02

by Tead Off » Jul 13th, '12, 23:02

iovetea wrote:
iannon wrote:Yoshiaki Hiruma is where i actually get my yearly dose of Temomicha. I did try one of his fermented oolong style ones..i think it was syansyan. quite different but nice
There was a thread in green tea where this was discussed. I'm sure a search would get you there. I remember there being one source with a multitude of offerings, many competition grades.

Jul 14th, '12, 03:30

by iovetea » Jul 14th, '12, 03:30

thank you very much

Jul 14th, '12, 20:51

by iannon » Jul 14th, '12, 20:51

Tead Off wrote:
iovetea wrote:
There was a thread in green tea where this was discussed. I'm sure a search would get you there. I remember there being one source with a multitude of offerings, many competition grades.
Its from the guy listed in the comments..Yoshiaki Hiruma. website is
http://hiruma-en.ddo.jp/index.htmlif you can translate..best to email him directly and ask for a list which is what I have always done.

Jul 15th, '12, 03:04

by iovetea » Jul 15th, '12, 03:04

thank you very much

+ Post Reply