Good quality Yancha

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 24th, '11, 18:51

Re: Good quality Yancha

by verus » Dec 24th, '11, 18:51

Of course you can't really equate tea with wine, in price or volume of consumption...if we'd drink as much wine as tea we'd all be terrible alcoholics on this forum. But it can serve as an analogy...you can get a cheap wine that is still good, the same is true for tea.

The point I was trying to make earlier was in reference to someone saying "tea is becoming too expensive." I think it can seem that way if you feel you need to drink only the top quality stuff. The Lung Jing samples on postcardteas.com, which are made by a real "tea master", are £ 22 for 20 grams. I'm sure it's good stuff, but that's just not something that a lot of people are going to be able to afford to drink on a daily basis. If you start to believe that all Lung Jing that is sold at a considerably lower price , or all the Yancha that is cheaper than the stuff sold at mandarins tearoom is "fake" or not worth drinking, you're making things much more problematic than is necessary.

Dec 26th, '11, 19:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Dec 26th, '11, 19:48

verus wrote:Of course you can't really equate tea with wine, in price or volume of consumption...if we'd drink as much wine as tea we'd all be terrible alcoholics on this forum. But it can serve as an analogy...you can get a cheap wine that is still good, the same is true for tea.
If that were the case then this would be a support group for liver cirrhosis ;D
The point I was trying to make earlier was in reference to someone saying "tea is becoming too expensive." I think it can seem that way if you feel you need to drink only the top quality stuff. The Lung Jing samples on postcardteas.com, which are made by a real "tea master", are £ 22 for 20 grams. I'm sure it's good stuff, but that's just not something that a lot of people are going to be able to afford to drink on a daily basis. If you start to believe that all Lung Jing that is sold at a considerably lower price , or all the Yancha that is cheaper than the stuff sold at mandarins tearoom is "fake" or not worth drinking, you're making things much more problematic than is necessary.
There may also be something to be said for the idea of drinking lower grade stuff so that you can better appreciate the higher grade stuff (not to mention honing your brewing skills).

I have actually found some quite good tea at reasonable prices. Grand Tea's can be quite good, and most shops have a gem or two if you can find them.

Jan 4th, '12, 18:59

by tst » Jan 4th, '12, 18:59

zencha wrote:
tenuki wrote:
zencha wrote:Is The Tea Gallery still in business ?
Tea Gallery website wrote:The Tea Gallery is on summer vacation until September.
Uh , that's why I'm asking ; it's December !
Can anyone please address this?

I tried emailing this vendor quite some time back and I haven't received a response. This is confusing considering how highly regarded this vendor seems to be.

Thank you.

Jan 4th, '12, 21:25

by AdamMY » Jan 4th, '12, 21:25

tst wrote:
zencha wrote:
tenuki wrote:
zencha wrote:Is The Tea Gallery still in business ?
Tea Gallery website wrote:The Tea Gallery is on summer vacation until September.
Uh , that's why I'm asking ; it's December !
Can anyone please address this?

I tried emailing this vendor quite some time back and I haven't received a response. This is confusing considering how highly regarded this vendor seems to be.

Thank you.
Word has if from those who know better than I do, that Michael has decided to take a break from Online sales. We do not know if this is temporary or if it will be quite permanent, but long story short, do not plan on buying from them any time soon, unless you visit them in person.

Jan 5th, '12, 15:35

by teaisme » Jan 5th, '12, 15:35

oni though I have very limited exp with yancha, I would say consider the stuff at jingteashop this year.

I've broken open the tilohan and Huang Mei Gui so far. The Huang Mei Gui was very impressive imo (though not much help to you since it sold out very fast). Ti lo han is good too, though so far I have not pushed it (instead first two times I tried it broke it into two long infusions to test the bitterness. A little straightforward but still good and not overly roasted. Both had almost no bitterness at all even when brewed pretty heavy for pretty long. I don't like to compare too much...but I feel like I got my moneys worth more so then the yanchas at houde this year.

My gut tells me the Da Hong Pao AAA would be worth looking into. Seems like their selection this year is good in general for most of their teas.

+ Post Reply