Storing Oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 20th, '12, 21:05

Re: Storing Oolong

by tingjunkie » Mar 20th, '12, 21:05

I'm thrilled to report I just created a top notch oolong time capsule! Using an antique Honk Kong pewter tea canister, I just packed almost 250g of TIM's 2011 Old Bush Shui Xian, covered the opening with about 4 layers of plastic wrap, and forced the lid down over it. I then cut away the excess plastic wrap with an exacto knife, and sealed the lid with melted wax.

Since this is the same grade of tea, roasted by the same master that made TIM's 1960's SX, I just can't wait to see what happens to my precious treasure over time. Now the trick will be finding a nice, dry, odor-free place to forget about it for a decade or four. If you've tried this tea, you know it will be a massive challenge to forget about! At least with the wax seal on there, I'll have to really make the decision to open it, rather than being tempted to steal 10g at a time. :mrgreen:

Who knows, maybe one day when tea of this quality is no longer available because all the true masters have died out, my grown-up kids will get to taste this priceless artifact of a time in tea history never to be seen again.

Mar 20th, '12, 21:35

by MIKE_B » Mar 20th, '12, 21:35

tingjunkie wrote:I'm thrilled to report I just created a top notch oolong time capsule! Using an antique Honk Kong pewter tea canister, I just packed almost 250g of TIM's 2011 Old Bush Shui Xian
Wow!

Mar 20th, '12, 23:21

by Antihero » Mar 20th, '12, 23:21

I received my airscape canister. It's one solid piece of tin, no seems. When you push the plunger down you can feel the air being pushed out of the canister. Then you push the handle down to seal off the vents. The plunger does not pull up easily, you can feel the vacuum seal it creates by expelling the air inside the tin. Also there is a rubber seal on the top lid. It is not easy to remove due to the vacuum seal it creates. The top lid has a valve with four holes that is supposed to release CO2 build up from freshly roasted coffee. But not letting air in. I covered them with a layer of wax. Just to be safe. I think this canister is well designed and pretty airtight.

Chip,

Definitely would like to hear your and others thoughts on the canister.
Attachments
photo(2).JPG
photo(2).JPG (20.12 KiB) Viewed 1437 times

Mar 20th, '12, 23:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 20th, '12, 23:37

Chip wrote:
Chip wrote:I was curious enough that I contacted the company with a "special request" ...
... to which they were happy to oblige ... stay tuned for a special opportunity for TCers to try an AirScape! :mrgreen: :!:
I should have said, for some lucky TCers to try the AirScape. 5 actually.
Antihero wrote:I received my airscape canister. It's one solid piece of tin, no seems. When you push the plunger down you can feel the air being pushed out of the canister. Then you push the handle down to seal off the vents. The plunger does not pull up easily, you can feel the vacuum seal it creates by expelling the air inside the tin. Also there is a rubber seal on the top lid. It is not easy to remove due to the vacuum seal it creates. The top lid has a valve with four holes that is supposed to release CO2 build up from freshly roasted coffee. But not letting air in. I covered them with a layer of wax. Just to be safe. I think this canister is well designed and pretty airtight.

Chip,

Definitely would like to hear your and others thoughts on the canister.
Technically, it is stainless steel. I will have to wait to see these holes in the lid. I am thinking it is a one way valve and should be OK sans wax. :mrgreen:

Mar 20th, '12, 23:40

by Chip » Mar 20th, '12, 23:40

MIKE_B wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:I'm thrilled to report I just created a top notch oolong time capsule! Using an antique Honk Kong pewter tea canister, I just packed almost 250g of TIM's 2011 Old Bush Shui Xian
Wow!
+1 ... do you have a game plan on when and how often you will raid this time capsule?

Mar 21st, '12, 00:57

by tingjunkie » Mar 21st, '12, 00:57

Chip wrote:
MIKE_B wrote:
Wow!
+1 ... do you have a game plan on when and how often you will raid this time capsule?
...and I just realized I wrote "Honk" Kong. Whoops :oops:

To answer your question... Gonna try to hold out as long as I can, or until a special occasion worthy of it comes along. I also like the idea of drinking the tea once per year on some occasion, but that would defeat the purpose of this kind of storage. I'm getting married in September, so maybe the tea might see the light of day on our 10th wedding anniversary... or 20th. I guess we'll have to wait and see. :lol:

Mar 22nd, '12, 00:57

by djlau » Mar 22nd, '12, 00:57

I've found that vacuum seal is best. If you don't have a machine, impulse sealers can be bought for as low as about $20. They'll be able to seal any foil bag and keep it airtight. There will still be some air in there from when it was initially sealed however, but it's almost as good.

Mar 29th, '12, 11:11

by Chip » Mar 29th, '12, 11:11

Chip wrote:
Chip wrote:I was curious enough that I contacted the company with a "special request" ...
... to which they were happy to oblige ... stay tuned for a special opportunity for TCers to try an AirScape! :mrgreen: :!:
OK, TCers, please stay tuned for a special opportunity to receive a FREE AirScape to test and see what you think about this innovative canister.

I will post a new topic ... likely under Teaware and Accessories, and will post a link here.

Mar 29th, '12, 15:02
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Mar 29th, '12, 15:02

Chip has psychic control powers :mrgreen:

Mar 29th, '12, 22:07

by Chip » Mar 29th, '12, 22:07

I knew you were going to say that! :mrgreen:

And here is the official topic. And a new program of TeaChat!

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=17149

+ Post Reply