Dedicating 2 Yixing Teapots to Oolong?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 20th, '12, 17:57

Dedicating 2 Yixing Teapots to Oolong?

by LowInFat » Jul 20th, '12, 17:57

While it would be nice to dedicate one yixing teapot to every kind of oolong I drink, it would simply be too costly, and I'm not quite prepared to spend that much. For the time being, however, I have gone and purchased 2 yixing teapots, (pictured here) both of which I plan to dedicate to oolongs. My question is, what would be the ideal way to split them? Which oolongs would I brew in each one, so I don't mix the flavours?

Initially, I was planning on splitting them up on Chinese/Taiwanese, but I figured this was a bad idea, seeing as both of them have a variety of flavours.

That being said, should I separate them based on their level of oxidation? On how visibly light/dark they are? Which common names (DHP, TGY, Bai Hao, Dong Ding, etc) would you group in such a manner?

Any input is appreciated :)

Jul 21st, '12, 14:40

Re: Dedicating 2 Yixing Teapots to Oolong?

by iovetea » Jul 21st, '12, 14:40

well why not use porcelain for most oolong and yixing only for you 2 most favorite oolongs.....

Jul 22nd, '12, 08:30

by chado.my.teaway » Jul 22nd, '12, 08:30

Yeah, 1 for less oxidation oolong(TGY, DD) and second for most oxidation(DHP, SX, and most of WuYi).

Jul 22nd, '12, 09:50

by MarshalN » Jul 22nd, '12, 09:50

The most logical way is to do it by firing level - high vs low fire.

Jul 22nd, '12, 23:17

by LowInFat » Jul 22nd, '12, 23:17

So would that be determined simply by looking at the colour of the leaf? Regardless of where it was produced and what kind it is, I should just separate them by whether the leaf is visibly dark or light?

EDIT: Also, I don't know if the shape makes a very big difference, but would you recommend I dedicate one or the other to light/dark? As you can see in the picture, the one on the right has a larger base.

Jul 23rd, '12, 06:48

by iovetea » Jul 23rd, '12, 06:48

but the left one seems to have a better shape for ball shaped oolongs, besides i would rather test the oolongs first in a porcelain teapot or taiwan and look if the flavor profile fits.

you know from my experience some anxi tie guan yin doesn't go so well with other green oolongs oolongs.....

Aug 7th, '12, 02:00

by LowInFat » Aug 7th, '12, 02:00

iovetea wrote:but the left one seems to have a better shape for ball shaped oolongs, besides i would rather test the oolongs first in a porcelain teapot or taiwan and look if the flavor profile fits.

you know from my experience some anxi tie guan yin doesn't go so well with other green oolongs oolongs.....
Interesting. Why is the left one better for tightly rolled oolongs?

Aug 7th, '12, 13:58

by iovetea » Aug 7th, '12, 13:58

LowInFat wrote:
iovetea wrote:but the left one seems to have a better shape for ball shaped oolongs, besides i would rather test the oolongs first in a porcelain teapot or taiwan and look if the flavor profile fits.

Interesting. Why is the left one better for tightly rolled oolongs?
i dont know.. i just thought because of the shape, isnt it somehow more natural form if you take into account the way the tea opens??
thats just a guess from my side, i know very little about tea.

Aug 7th, '12, 15:17

by tenuki » Aug 7th, '12, 15:17

MarshalN wrote:The most logical way is to do it by firing level - high vs low fire.
+1

and one more for aged...

Aug 10th, '12, 03:08

by LowInFat » Aug 10th, '12, 03:08

A little irrelevant in this forum, but I'm also getting a third pot to use for most Chinese greens, and was wondering if people could make any suggestions in what to look for. I don't know whether the clay type (zisha, etc), the firing level, and the shape, make a very big difference. If so, any recommendations? (How is this one?)

Aug 10th, '12, 04:15
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Aug 10th, '12, 04:15

MarshalN wrote:The most logical way is to do it by firing level - high vs low fire.
do this. It will save your budget and keep your flavors well separated

Aug 11th, '12, 03:07

by bagua7 » Aug 11th, '12, 03:07

LowInFat wrote:...
Pfff...you are calling for trouble. Yixing clay will mute/shade the nice flavours associated with fresh green tea leaves. Stick to porcelain and you'll enjoy your brewing sessions a lot more.

For example:

http://tinyurl.com/d9du7ej
http://tinyurl.com/cgb59yj

+ Post Reply