Yixing pairing

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 4th, '13, 12:53

Yixing pairing

by Exempt » Jan 4th, '13, 12:53

jayinhk wrote:For me, 95-98 degrees C (approx), lots of leaf and short infusions.

Exempt, where did you buy your pots (and what are you exempt from)?
One from sample tea and one from Stephane from teamasters blog. (And exempt is just what I use for all usernames, haha)

Jan 4th, '13, 14:30

Re: Yixing pairing

by NOESIS » Jan 4th, '13, 14:30

I have to agree with what others have said about preferring a thin-walled porcelain gaiwan for brewing many (most) of my favorite oolongs. Quite a few yrs in, and quite a few $ spent, I now really only use my Yixing pots for dark roasted TGY / Yancha, and the (very occasional) aged pu. But at least I still get much joy from displaying them! :D

Jan 4th, '13, 22:04

by Tead Off » Jan 4th, '13, 22:04

NOESIS wrote:I have to agree with what others have said about preferring a thin-walled porcelain gaiwan for brewing many (most) of my favorite oolongs. Quite a few yrs in, and quite a few $ spent, I now really only use my Yixing pots for dark roasted TGY / Yancha, and the (very occasional) aged pu. But at least I still get much joy from displaying them! :D
Nothing wrong with a gaiwan but for greener oolong teas, but I have many pots which I prefer more than a gaiwan. Some of them are not even Yixing!

Jan 4th, '13, 22:29

by NOESIS » Jan 4th, '13, 22:29

Tead Off wrote:
NOESIS wrote:I have to agree with what others have said about preferring a thin-walled porcelain gaiwan for brewing many (most) of my favorite oolongs. Quite a few yrs in, and quite a few $ spent, I now really only use my Yixing pots for dark roasted TGY / Yancha, and the (very occasional) aged pu. But at least I still get much joy from displaying them! :D
Nothing wrong with a gaiwan but for greener oolong teas, but I have many pots which I prefer more than a gaiwan. Some of them are not even Yixing!
Not to get off topic, but I definitely prefer unglazed sado or tokoname clay pots for Japanese greens. Concerning oolongs that I drink on a fairly regular basis (light-medium oxid/roast gao shan and dancong), I find them to be more up-front and aromatic, less "rounded" brewed in a porcelain gaiwan.

Jan 4th, '13, 23:23

by Tead Off » Jan 4th, '13, 23:23

NOESIS wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
Not to get off topic, but I definitely prefer unglazed sado or tokoname clay pots for Japanese greens. Concerning oolongs that I drink on a fairly regular basis (light-medium oxid/roast gao shan and dancong), I find them to be more up-front and aromatic, less "rounded" brewed in a porcelain gaiwan.
This is where the magic of an appropriate pot steps in. If I may say this, that the best pot will be better than the best gaiwan in most cases. The difficulty is to find that pot.

Jan 5th, '13, 13:53

by gasninja » Jan 5th, '13, 13:53

I am right in assuming Lu ni would be more suited to heavier roasted oolong. In that it might take away from the aroma of greener oolongs.

I am really just starting to pay closer attention to my yixing pairings.
I use this pothttp://jingteashop.com/pd-jing-tea-shop ... t-lnbh.cfm for high fired Yancha and it seems to round the edges of a fresh roast nicely while adding a very nice mouthfeel?

Jan 5th, '13, 22:56

by Tead Off » Jan 5th, '13, 22:56

gasninja wrote:I am right in assuming Lu ni would be more suited to heavier roasted oolong. In that it might take away from the aroma of greener oolongs.

I am really just starting to pay closer attention to my yixing pairings.
I use this pothttp://jingteashop.com/pd-jing-tea-shop ... t-lnbh.cfm for high fired Yancha and it seems to round the edges of a fresh roast nicely while adding a very nice mouthfeel?
I would have assumed your pot was duan ni until I read Jing's description that it was mixed. For what it's worth, Hojo's opinion of duanni clay is very poor. He says it mutes both taste and aroma as opposed to red or purple clays. Of course, this needs to be tested out to see if it is true or not. Have you tested the pot against other clays? Sometimes there are surprising results waiting.

Jan 6th, '13, 21:36

by bagua7 » Jan 6th, '13, 21:36

Tead Off wrote:Sometimes there are surprising results waiting.
The magic of Yixing. :)

Jan 14th, '13, 18:13

by Exempt » Jan 14th, '13, 18:13

The teapot from sample tea came. It seems to have generally good workmanship besides the spout being little lower than the handle and lid. It is a dark brick red/orange/purple. I'm about to brew up some da hong pao I have because I can't wait to use it, but when the teamaster pot comes and jing teas arrive I'll compare them with those and see which is better for wuyi's.

Jan 15th, '13, 09:18
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 15th, '13, 09:18

Exempt wrote:The teapot from sample tea came. It seems to have generally good workmanship besides the spout being little lower than the handle and lid. It is a dark brick red/orange/purple. I'm about to brew up some da hong pao I have because I can't wait to use it, but when the teamaster pot comes and jing teas arrive I'll compare them with those and see which is better for wuyi's.
Hope you boiled/seasoned it first? :)

Having the spout lower than the handle and lid is supposed to prevent dribbling from around the lid, although all of my pots have spouts higher than the handles.

Jan 15th, '13, 11:42

Yixing pairing

by Exempt » Jan 15th, '13, 11:42

jayinhk wrote:
Exempt wrote:The teapot from sample tea came. It seems to have generally good workmanship besides the spout being little lower than the handle and lid. It is a dark brick red/orange/purple. I'm about to brew up some da hong pao I have because I can't wait to use it, but when the teamaster pot comes and jing teas arrive I'll compare them with those and see which is better for wuyi's.
Hope you boiled/seasoned it first? :)

Having the spout lower than the handle and lid is supposed to prevent dribbling from around the lid, although all of my pots have spouts higher than the handles.
Yes I boiled and seasoned it first. And I was unaware of the lowers spout, I though it showed lower craftsmanship. Thanks for informing me

Jan 15th, '13, 20:40

by bagua7 » Jan 15th, '13, 20:40

Tead Off wrote:[I have many pots which I prefer more than a gaiwan. Some of them are not even Yixing!
I missed that bit...interesting, care to share with us what non-Yixing pots are you talking about? Chaozhou perhaps? Thanks.

+ Post Reply