Favorite vendors for wuyi oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Feb 5th, '13, 22:08
Vendor Member

Re: Favorite vendors for wuyi oolong

by TIM » Feb 5th, '13, 22:08

wyardley wrote:
NOESIS wrote: TTG sold a SX (?) with the moniker "Hundred Year Tree". 'Twas excellent.
This is a varietal called "bǎi suì xiāng" (百岁香) - literally "100 year(s) fragrance". As best I know, this is its own varietal, and not shuixian.
TTG hundred year old bush is a Shuixian, not bai Li Xiang. From old tree around 100 yrs old. Just to be correct. And how do I know? :D

Feb 5th, '13, 22:14

by NOESIS » Feb 5th, '13, 22:14

wyardley wrote:
NOESIS wrote: TTG sold a SX (?) with the moniker "Hundred Year Tree". 'Twas excellent.
This is a varietal called "bǎi suì xiāng" (百岁香) - literally "100 year(s) fragrance". As best I know, this is its own varietal, and not shuixian.
Thanks for clarifying that. Since I'm not a huge fan of "heavy fire" (well, actually I was some years ago), this Wuyi had a flavor profile that I found very pleasing. Probably light-med oxidation and similar degree of roast. It had good durability and an interesting array of aromas and flavors. Quite memorable.
Last edited by NOESIS on Feb 5th, '13, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 5th, '13, 22:17

by NOESIS » Feb 5th, '13, 22:17

TIM wrote:
wyardley wrote:
TTG hundred year old bush is a Shuixian, not bai Li Xiang. From old tree around 100 yrs old. Just to be correct. And how do I know? :D

Tim, thanks for a clarification of the clarification. :lol:

And I'll take a guess. You have "inside info" :D

Feb 6th, '13, 01:29

by wyardley » Feb 6th, '13, 01:29

TIM wrote: TTG hundred year old bush is a Shuixian, not bai Li Xiang. From old tree around 100 yrs old. Just to be correct. And how do I know? :D
Hrm, I am sure you'd know better, so I stand corrected. I thought that Brandon or someone had talked to them and confirmed that it was baisuixiang.

Feb 6th, '13, 07:06
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Feb 6th, '13, 07:06

Which would make sense, since the TTG also carried a 100 yr old SX just named simply named Shui Xian. I did not ask MW himself, so it is possible I don't have the right info on the varietal, and my memory is not as good as Will's. I definitely remember Fragrance, which leaves 百岁香 and 千裏香. We are talking about a distinct tea from your usual 老叢水仙, certainly.

Left 2009 100 Year Tree, Right 2009 老叢水仙. Given a few years of resting now, the 2009 SX still smells strongly of roast, and I think it is inferior to the 2008 version. The 100 Year leaf has deep aroma of plum. Very tempting to drink my emergency supply!

Varietal or processing more important? Not too sure for my part, going to require a lot more drinking.

Feb 6th, '13, 08:14
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Feb 6th, '13, 08:14

Just for fun, your wet leaf courtesy of the way back machine.

I realize we've veered far off topic, sorry Mr. Exempt.

+ Post Reply