Noobie Tieguanyin Question


Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Noobie Tieguanyin Question

Postby caulfield » Apr 9th, '14, 22:21

I had Rishi Tieguanyin tea at a coffeeshop and really liked it. I'm normally a Yunnan black fan and I noticed that Yunnan sourcing sells Tieguanyin. Has anyone tried any of the Oolong from Yunnan sourcing?

I've been reading a lot of old threads on here, so I know a lot of people like Seven Cups and Jing Tea Shop, does anyone else have a favorite or just have any tips for someone new to this style?

Thanks!
caulfield
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Jan 4th, '1

Noobie Tieguanyin Question

Postby mcrdotcom » Apr 10th, '14, 08:20

I don't know where you live but Verdant Tea does a nice TGY, when the new harvests come in they should be stocking minimal and medium oxidised varieties! If you want to try some roasted TGY origin tea is fantastic. :)
User avatar
mcrdotcom
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Sep 5th, '1
Location: Ireland

Re: Noobie Tieguanyin Question

Postby danielhong » Apr 14th, '14, 03:53

Maybe I can offer 2 cents on Tieguanyin as I live in Xiamen city and go to Anxi frequently by 2 hours driving, my teacher and my grandmother lives there.

There are 2 categories of Tieguanyin, green and roasted, I don't know which one you have, a lot of people like green especially Sour type, my personal love is roasted one as you will not get tired of it even drink for whole day, besides it's traditional.

I would be happy to answer questions about Fujian teas including Tieguanyin, Da Hong Pao, White tea etc. :D Daniel
User avatar
danielhong
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Apr 13th, '
Location: Xiamen, CN

Re: Noobie Tieguanyin Question

Postby kyarazen » Apr 14th, '14, 22:16

whats your version of informations on da hong pao?


danielhong wrote:Maybe I can offer 2 cents on Tieguanyin as I live in Xiamen city and go to Anxi frequently by 2 hours driving, my teacher and my grandmother lives there.

There are 2 categories of Tieguanyin, green and roasted, I don't know which one you have, a lot of people like green especially Sour type, my personal love is roasted one as you will not get tired of it even drink for whole day, besides it's traditional.

I would be happy to answer questions about Fujian teas including Tieguanyin, Da Hong Pao, White tea etc. :D Daniel
kyarazen
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sep 2nd, '1

Re: Noobie Tieguanyin Question

Postby the_economist » Apr 14th, '14, 23:47

kyarazen wrote:whats your version of informations on da hong pao?


danielhong wrote:I would be happy to answer questions about Fujian teas including Tieguanyin, Da Hong Pao, White tea etc. :D Daniel


+1!!
User avatar
the_economist
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Sep 4th, '1

Re: Noobie Tieguanyin Question

Postby danielhong » Apr 16th, '14, 01:15

Right now there are some middle/light roasted Da Hong Pao available for new rock tea drinkers, personally I prefer to high roasted one. Roasting is very important to get a really good Da Hong Pao, some use eletricity baker but you will find out the one baked with Charcoal is more smooth and as the time goes by it will get better tasting. From May to August, good dahongpao normally takes 3 months for roasting, one month one time. So the really good traditional dahongpao will be available from August.

Seems lots of people have interest in Da Hong Pao, to me it's a tea has the most difficulty to undersand, but a lot of fun :D . Cheers, Daniel
User avatar
danielhong
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Apr 13th, '
Location: Xiamen, CN

Re: Noobie Tieguanyin Question

Postby chrl42 » Apr 16th, '14, 01:34

danielhong wrote:Right now there are some middle/light roasted Da Hong Pao available for new rock tea drinkers, personally I prefer to high roasted one. Roasting is very important to get a really good Da Hong Pao, some use eletricity baker but you will find out the one baked with Charcoal is more smooth and as the time goes by it will get better tasting. From May to August, good dahongpao normally takes 3 months for roasting, one month one time. So the really good traditional dahongpao will be available from August.

Seems lots of people have interest in Da Hong Pao, to me it's a tea has the most difficulty to undersand, but a lot of fun :D . Cheers, Daniel

You know..the term Da Hong Pao is used for the blended ones,

These days, what are the major leaves used for blending? is it Shui Xian or Rou Gui, or any tips on it? :D
User avatar
chrl42
 
Posts: 1492
Joined: Mar 22nd, '
Location: Beijing

Re: Noobie Tieguanyin Question

Postby the_economist » Apr 16th, '14, 01:44

danielhong wrote:Seems lots of people have interest in Da Hong Pao, to me it's a tea has the most difficulty to undersand, but a lot of fun :D . Cheers, Daniel


What are the major Da Hong Pao varietals? Is it true there are three main ones, Beidou, Qidan, and Queshe? How do they differ in taste? I've wanted to try all 3 in a tasting session for a long long time now!
User avatar
the_economist
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Sep 4th, '1

Re: Noobie Tieguanyin Question

Postby danielhong » Apr 17th, '14, 12:06

@chlr142兄, you must have had a lot of dhp and may meet many interesting fake ones, yes you're right, now everything is Da Hong Pao as long as they are long leaf with black color :D

To us blended Da Hong Pao means blending Dahongpao leaves from different farm, that way it can have a stable quality and be able to offer on a lower price, as 3 indepent dahongpao might not good by each, but by blending we can combine their good with lower cost.

Sorry @the_economist I don't know Queshe, Qidan is nice, there is also a company named Beidou, I heard it is the company owner who invented this variety.
User avatar
danielhong
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Apr 13th, '
Location: Xiamen, CN

Re: Noobie Tieguanyin Question

Postby Chip » Apr 29th, '14, 14:09

Topic has been reviewed and is now again available to members.

Chip
Immoderate TeaDrinker who happens to Moderate
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22091
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation