Oil Black Oolong Tea


Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oil Black Oolong Tea

Postby AllanK » Jul 13th, '14, 23:54

I came across something that sounds interesting called Oil Black Oolong Tea. Does anyone know just what it is or what it is like.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 97449.html
AllanK
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Jul 13th, '

Re: Oil Black Oolong Tea

Postby ABx » Jul 14th, '14, 02:08

It's not a name, but a description. It's high-fire, and almost certainly over-roasted.
User avatar
ABx
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Jul 7th, '0
Location: Portland, OR

Postby bonescwa » Jul 16th, '14, 18:07

That reminds me of some nasty stuff I got at a Chinese grocery. I believe the brand was tianfeng. It literally had a layer of oil on the surface of the liquor that refracted light into a rainbow and it tastes the way melting crayons smell. I stuck with it, still have it, even though it was pretty cheap. It's only saving grace is that it has a nice aged taste, probably because it's been on that shelf since the Nixon administration.
bonescwa
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Feb 3rd, '1

Re: Oil Black Oolong Tea

Postby tingjunkie » Jul 16th, '14, 21:58

Over-roasted? More like burnt to a crisp.
User avatar
tingjunkie
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Jul 8th, '0
Location: NYC

Re: Oil Black Oolong Tea

Postby kyarazen » Jul 17th, '14, 01:01

tingjunkie wrote:Over-roasted? More like burnt to a crisp.



shhh!!!!

that is their trade secret!! 8)
User avatar
kyarazen
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Sep 2nd, '1
Location: in your tea closet

Oil Black Oolong Tea

Postby mcrdotcom » Jul 17th, '14, 04:28

tingjunkie wrote:Over-roasted? More like burnt to a crisp.


Charcoal high fired teas tend to be this way no? Usually they need to be well roasted to taste nice, but who knows :P
User avatar
mcrdotcom
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Sep 5th, '1
Location: Ireland

Re: Oil Black Oolong Tea

Postby bonescwa » Jul 17th, '14, 13:27

mcrdotcom wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:Over-roasted? More like burnt to a crisp.


Charcoal high fired teas tend to be this way no? Usually they need to be well roasted to taste nice, but who knows :P

No
bonescwa
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Feb 3rd, '1

Oil Black Oolong Tea

Postby mcrdotcom » Jul 17th, '14, 15:08

bonescwa wrote:
mcrdotcom wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:Over-roasted? More like burnt to a crisp.


Charcoal high fired teas tend to be this way no? Usually they need to be well roasted to taste nice, but who knows :P

No


Care to elaborate? I have a lot of charcoal high fired teas, one of which is the nicest tea I have ever tasted, and they look fairly similar. I wouldn't mind an explanation as to why the above tea is considered over roasted from the photo! Thanks!
User avatar
mcrdotcom
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Sep 5th, '1
Location: Ireland

Re: Oil Black Oolong Tea

Postby Evan Draper » Jul 18th, '14, 11:05

kyarazen wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:Over-roasted? More like burnt to a crisp.



shhh!!!!

that is their trade secret!! 8)

:lol:
User avatar
Evan Draper
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Jan 23rd, '
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Oil Black Oolong Tea

Postby tingjunkie » Jul 20th, '14, 11:19

mcrdotcom wrote:
bonescwa wrote:
mcrdotcom wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:Over-roasted? More like burnt to a crisp.


Charcoal high fired teas tend to be this way no? Usually they need to be well roasted to taste nice, but who knows :P

No


Care to elaborate? I have a lot of charcoal high fired teas, one of which is the nicest tea I have ever tasted, and they look fairly similar. I wouldn't mind an explanation as to why the above tea is considered over roasted from the photo! Thanks!


It's the color. There is an upper limit of how high fired a tea can be before it's ruined. The black color of the "oil" oolong shows it's way past the limit. By comparison, check out TIM's version, or one from Red Blossom. In general, if the rolled ball tea leaf doesn't open up much during brewing, and is very brittle, it's over-roasted.
User avatar
tingjunkie
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Jul 8th, '0
Location: NYC

Oil Black Oolong Tea

Postby mcrdotcom » Jul 20th, '14, 14:28

tingjunkie wrote:
mcrdotcom wrote:
bonescwa wrote:
mcrdotcom wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:Over-roasted? More like burnt to a crisp.


Charcoal high fired teas tend to be this way no? Usually they need to be well roasted to taste nice, but who knows :P

No


Care to elaborate? I have a lot of charcoal high fired teas, one of which is the nicest tea I have ever tasted, and they look fairly similar. I wouldn't mind an explanation as to why the above tea is considered over roasted from the photo! Thanks!


It's the color. There is an upper limit of how high fired a tea can be before it's ruined. The black color of the "oil" oolong shows it's way past the limit. By comparison, check out TIM's version, or one from Red Blossom. In general, if the rolled ball tea leaf doesn't open up much during brewing, and is very brittle, it's over-roasted.



I understand the colour I guess! However, Tony from Origin Tea has supplied me with some superb charcoal roasted teas, and one thing I've always noted is the fact they don't open up much when brewed! Now I see you said "in general"... So I guess it's more a case of this being a very difficult roast level to get deliberately correct, and not all teas like this are bad...

Sorry, it just confused me because I've tasted teas that look very similar to this that have blown my mind, although they came from my favourite tea shop and most trusted vendor :P
User avatar
mcrdotcom
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Sep 5th, '1
Location: Ireland

Re: Oil Black Oolong Tea

Postby tingjunkie » Jul 20th, '14, 15:01

Sometimes if the oolong is aged as well as roasted, this will contribute to not opening up too, but if it's a new tea it should unfurl some. Not as fully as green TGY or gao shan of course, but some. But yes, these are general guidelines, not hard and fast rules. The old Classic Roast from Tea Gallery was an exception. It barely unfurled at all, but the quality of the material and the roast were both fantastic. Looking at the color and texture of the leaves, it's still quite different than that "oil" oolong though. I think the simple fact they called it "Oil Black" oolong (very unappetizing) should be a clue to stay away- to me that says "oops we burnt this batch, let's give it a name that implies we meant to do it this way."

I once had a 25+ year old master roasted dong ding, which was re-roasted every couple years for its life. After brewing, the dark leaves unfurled almost completely, and you could even tug and pull at them without ripping. Still one of the top ten teas I've had to this day, and an extremely rare level of roasting mastery.
User avatar
tingjunkie
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Jul 8th, '0
Location: NYC

Re: Oil Black Oolong Tea

Postby ABx » Aug 16th, '14, 03:10

If roast is done with skill then they can push it pretty far and still retain a lot of good qualities; these aren't all that common. This kind of stuff, though, is just going to be very one-dimensional.
User avatar
ABx
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Jul 7th, '0
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Oil Black Oolong Tea

Postby entropyembrace » Aug 16th, '14, 04:35

wow :shock: this looks like something Starbucks would make :lol:
User avatar
entropyembrace
 
Posts: 1932
Joined: Mar 3rd, '0


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation