Oolong suitable for a steeping mug

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Nov 19th, '14, 13:54

by MEversbergII » Nov 19th, '14, 13:54

My current typical arrangement for tea at work uses my steeping mug. It's a basic affair from "Enjoying Tea", having rather thick construction. So far it hasn't done too bad, handling shu pu'er and Russian caravan well enough for what I'm up to.

What about oolongs, though? Most of the oolongs I've seen here are finer ones more suited for proper, small pots. My experience with oolongs is comparatively limited, as each one I've gotten has been hit-or-miss. The one exception was "Chinese restaurant oolong" I got from either Yunnan Sourcing or Pu'er Shop - neither of which have it presently. What little luck I've had seems to tend towards darker oolongs rather than the greener ones, but I'm open to the whole spectrum.

What is a decent, casual-friendly oolong that can hold its own without needing to be fussed over with proper instruments?

Thanks,

M.

Nov 19th, '14, 14:30

Re: Oolong suitable for a steeping mug

by Poseidon » Nov 19th, '14, 14:30

I personally like most of Mountain Tea's oolongs "western" style. Although their Dark Roast gets a little sour western style. I really like their black pearl, Organic high mountain, oriental beauty, etc. If im fixing it in a mug. I also feel like for the price its a good all around cup that you can get multiple steeps out of. Good luck!

Nov 19th, '14, 19:00

by bonescwa » Nov 19th, '14, 19:00

Sea dyke

Nov 19th, '14, 19:07

by drinking_teas » Nov 19th, '14, 19:07

no tea is only suited for gongfu/only suited for western.

i'd suggest rolled oolongs in general, my favorite place for oolongs is Floating Leaves Tea but they're higher end for sure. even Yancha and Dancong should work nicely western-steeped, in which case I suggest Jing Tea Shop and Yunnan Sourcing.

Nov 19th, '14, 20:29

by mganz42 » Nov 19th, '14, 20:29

I've had a recent love affair with the "Miyazaki Koubi Shiage" from Yuuki-Cha. It brews beautifully in a mug - not finicky at all with water temperature or brew time, and the leaves are big and sink to the bottom so you don't really need a strainer.

Nov 20th, '14, 09:11

by Poseidon » Nov 20th, '14, 09:11

drinking_teas wrote:no tea is only suited for gongfu/only suited for western.

i'd suggest rolled oolongs in general, my favorite place for oolongs is Floating Leaves Tea but they're higher end for sure. even Yancha and Dancong should work nicely western-steeped, in which case I suggest Jing Tea Shop and Yunnan Sourcing.
+1 for jing and Yunnan Sourcing. I completely forgot about them for oolongs. Also, try jkteashop. They have a nice selection of yancha,rolled oolong, and some aged for a decent price as well. Plus, they have really cheap samples! :D

Nov 21st, '14, 03:17

by mcrdotcom » Nov 21st, '14, 03:17

Any daily drinkable medium - high roast oolong should do. I always have high fired TGY and it'll be left steeping for ages before I get around to drinking
It's always nice. If you feel it might get bitter or sour then add less leaf! :)

Nov 21st, '14, 03:26
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 21st, '14, 03:26

Yup, use way less leaf, and if you're used to gongfu brewing green oolongs, maybe drop the temperature a little. :)

+ Post Reply