The deepest sadness of all.

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 10th, '14, 18:06

The deepest sadness of all.

by futurebird » Dec 10th, '14, 18:06

In 2012 I bought some tea from the now defunct "Five Star Tea" (Anyone know where they went?) One of those teas was:

Bai Ji Guan Yan Cha from Buddha Country Cliff.

It's really quite good! It's in my top 10 at least. So, I'm deeply sad that I cannot order a larger batch! :cry:

What oolongs have you tried but fear you will never see again?

Dec 10th, '14, 18:48

Re: The deepest sadness of all.

by BW85 » Dec 10th, '14, 18:48

You can find more Bai Ji Guan, just depends how much you're willing to spend. I never visited the vendor you mentioned so I'm not sure what their prices were like.

I don't really fear not being able to get more of an oolong, I feel like if I'm patient I'll be able something comparable or better. Puerh seems much more fleeting.

Dec 10th, '14, 22:11

by Tead Off » Dec 10th, '14, 22:11

futurebird wrote:In 2012 I bought some tea from the now defunct "Five Star Tea" (Anyone know where they went?) One of those teas was:

It's really quite good! It's in my top 10 at least. So, I'm deeply sad that I cannot order a larger batch! :cry:

You can buy Bai Ji Guan at JK Teashop and Teahong. I haven't tried Teahong's, but JK's is very good and less expensive than Teahong's.

Dec 10th, '14, 23:21

by puyuan » Dec 10th, '14, 23:21

I tend to shy away from the near-dancongness of bjg, but mr. Huang's at EOT was mindbendingly incredible. I just wish I could remember the year of the tea (sample).

Dec 11th, '14, 00:02

by Tead Off » Dec 11th, '14, 00:02

puyuan wrote:I tend to shy away from the near-dancongness of bjg, but mr. Huang's at EOT was mindbendingly incredible. I just wish I could remember the year of the tea (sample).
The tea I had from JK was nothing like Dancong. I would compare it to a Japanese sencha in some ways, but I prefer it over any sencha I've ever had. It has umami. A very unusual tea.

Dec 11th, '14, 00:17

by BioHorn » Dec 11th, '14, 00:17

Should have listened to Brandon... :(

Dec 11th, '14, 08:17

by Poseidon » Dec 11th, '14, 08:17

The biggest regret I have with tea is an aged oolong I ordered a sample of from jkteashop a few months ago. It had these incredable chocolate notes and was sweet and delicious. I went back to the site as soon as I tasted it to purchase a large amount and it was taken off the site and replaced with a much less aged and, in my opinion, less flavorful tea. I purchased the two teas that replaced it but they didnt come close to the first tea.

If any of you know where to get an oolong that is sweet and chocolatly, please PM me with a link or vendor name.

Dec 11th, '14, 09:39

by puyuan » Dec 11th, '14, 09:39

Tead Off wrote:
puyuan wrote:I tend to shy away from the near-dancongness of bjg, but mr. Huang's at EOT was mindbendingly incredible. I just wish I could remember the year of the tea (sample).
The tea I had from JK was nothing like Dancong. I would compare it to a Japanese sencha in some ways, but I prefer it over any sencha I've ever had. It has umami. A very unusual tea.

That one I had was actually dancongish, but had no flower to go with the (delightful) fruit and was loud everywhere, very nice mouthfeel, yanyun and all, even "chaqi". That's an interesting profile you describe! It seems they cut the oxidizing short and kept the very low roast. I'll see if I can try some!

Dec 11th, '14, 12:32

by Evan Draper » Dec 11th, '14, 12:32

Dec 16th, '14, 16:52

by wyardley » Dec 16th, '14, 16:52

The 5 star baijiguan was a pretty nice one, and a good example of the genre. I find that I don't always like baijiguan enough to justify its high price. This post is a good reminder to brew the last few oz that I have here at the office!

I don't like / recommend all of their teas (or even all of their yancha), but if memory serves, the one from 7 Cups is not at all bad .

I do agree that it's a good idea to buy a lot of tea if you're confident it's good. Over time, you will get better at making that calculation correctly.

Dec 16th, '14, 17:00

by wyardley » Dec 16th, '14, 17:00

I had one that I believe was from the same maker that the (now defunct and somewhat kooky) Cloudwalker used to sell. I had a couple different batches. That one was very like a dancong, more so than most I've had, and as such, could get a bit astringent if brewed too strongly. I liked the rougui from the same maker even more, especially one batch (maybe 2007?).

Dec 16th, '14, 22:30

by puyuan » Dec 16th, '14, 22:30

wyardley wrote:
I had one that I believe was from the same maker that the (now defunct and somewhat kooky) Cloudwalker used to sell. I had a couple different batches. That one was very like a dancong, more so than most I've had, and as such, could get a bit astringent if brewed too strongly. I liked the rougui from the same maker even more, especially one batch (maybe 2007?).

Are you sure? I know the family's larger scale productions by repute and tasting, and find very surprising that his artisanal teas are available online, leave alone for westerners. I probably couldn't get those teas even if I went to Wuyi. Two sources? The internet is a weird place. Shame they went under, I would love to go through older batches... This is a yancha I genuinely have very little idea how it would age long term.

Dec 17th, '14, 00:55

by wyardley » Dec 17th, '14, 00:55

puyuan wrote: Are you sure? I know the family's larger scale productions by repute and tasting, and find very surprising that his artisanal teas are available online, leave alone for westerners. I probably couldn't get those teas even if I went to Wuyi. Two sources? The internet is a weird place. Shame they went under, I would love to go through older batches... This is a yancha I genuinely have very little idea how it would age long term.
No, I'm not completely sure. They [Cloudwalker] were pretty coy about the source of the tea, but I believe them to be the same, based on what I know. They were also selling it in small amounts (20g), and at a price most people wouldn't be willing to pay.

I believe they are both originally sourced, either directly or indirectly, via the same party. I don't really want to say more on here, especially since it's an educated guess, not direct knowledge.

Without digging through old packaging, I can't say for sure if the exact year was specified, but it was around 2010 and 2011 that I got the tea from them, and I believe it was already a few years back from that time.

Dec 29th, '14, 13:16

by MEversbergII » Dec 29th, '14, 13:16

Tead Off wrote:
futurebird wrote:In 2012 I bought some tea from the now defunct "Five Star Tea" (Anyone know where they went?) One of those teas was:

You can buy Bai Ji Guan at JK Teashop and Teahong. I haven't tried Teahong's, but JK's is very good and less expensive than Teahong's.
Maybe I'm just flailing about, but I can't seem to find Bai Ji on JK's site. Got a link?

M.

Dec 29th, '14, 13:29

by BW85 » Dec 29th, '14, 13:29

MEversbergII wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

Maybe I'm just flailing about, but I can't seem to find Bai Ji on JK's site. Got a link?

M.
http://www.jkteashop.com/2014-zhengyan- ... p-986.html

+ Post Reply