Does tea go bad?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Postby inspectoring » Feb 24th, '08, 12:28

I generally don't like iced tea. But on occasion have tried keeping brewed tea in a refridgerator and if I remember correctly - it stayed good for about 3-4 days...did not wait to see how long it took to go bad though...
inspectoring

Postby skywarrior » Feb 25th, '08, 03:35

The answer is most definitely yes. I've accidentally fermented tea in the refrigerator. (Don't ask me how). It's nasty. But you must work at it. A day or two is ok.
skywarrior

Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

Postby Chip » Feb 25th, '08, 04:25

The thing is, if you do not add sugar or citric acid, etc, your tea will go south quickly. Additives act like preservatives which most RTD teas bought at the store are loaded with things to increase shelf life &/or are bottled in a more sterile process.

Keeping it really cold and eliminating oxigen in the bottle or however you are storing it will extend its shelf life. Once you open it or it warms or time passes, it will go bad.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby hop_goblin » Feb 25th, '08, 11:10

Chip wrote:You can tell if teas have gone bad by looking for pairs of sneakers tied together and hanging from utility wires. To be safe, avoid drinking any tea in that neighborhood. :roll:

Chip, it reads as if you are speaking from experience! :lol:
hop_goblin

Postby skywarrior » Feb 26th, '08, 02:40

Chip wrote:You can tell if teas have gone bad by looking for pairs of sneakers tied together and hanging from utility wires. To be safe, avoid drinking any tea in that neighborhood. :roll:

This is very sage advice. I shall remember it and keep an eye out for sneakers hanging from utility wires. :idea:
skywarrior

Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions