What is your favorite Oolong tea?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

What is your favorite Oolong?

Tie Guan Yin (aka iron godess)
32%
Wuyi
32%
Dan Cong (aka phoenix)
5%
Dong Ding
12%
Bai Hao
7%
Bao Zhong (aka pouchong)
12%

Total votes: 41

Jul 1st, '08, 13:19

by Riene » Jul 1st, '08, 13:19

Update....my oolong samples have shipped...should be here two days. Be prepared for questions!
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jul 1st, '08, 13:30

by RussianSoul » Jul 1st, '08, 13:30

Riene wrote:Update....my oolong samples have shipped...should be here two days. Be prepared for questions!
While we're waiting, tell us what kind of brewing vessels do you have?

Jul 1st, '08, 14:11

by Riene » Jul 1st, '08, 14:11

RussianSoul wrote:
Riene wrote:Update....my oolong samples have shipped...should be here two days. Be prepared for questions!
I have a few glass teapots, and several glazed china/ceramic English-style teapots, each of of various sizes. The smallest is a glass Bodum press, which holds about 1 cup/8oz/240ml. I have various strainer baskets as well, and a kettle for the stove. Will these work?
--Tang Dynasty

Jul 1st, '08, 14:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 1st, '08, 14:26

TimeforTea wrote:
Victoria wrote:Yeah the jasmines in the Adagio samplers are not a good idea if you ask me.
Russian Soul has made some excellent recommendations.
Just quickly skimming the posts here, and was curious, V, why you don't think the jasmines in the adagio samplers aren't a good idea? :?

How do you tell the difference between a jasmine tea that uses real jasmine, vs. one which has the jasmine sprayed on?
It is pretty easy to tell the difference if you have had authentic scented Jasmine tea before...it smells natural and soothing. :)

The sprayed on is garish and unnatural and unpleasing...abrubtly in your face. :x
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 1st, '08, 14:28

by RussianSoul » Jul 1st, '08, 14:28

Riene wrote:
RussianSoul wrote:
I have a few glass teapots, and several glazed china/ceramic English-style teapots, each of of various sizes. The smallest is a glass Bodum press, which holds about 1 cup/8oz/240ml. I have various strainer baskets as well, and a kettle for the stove. Will these work?
Yes, of course they will work. The question was just to get an idea and to pass the time while we're waiting for the postman. :D

Jul 1st, '08, 15:41

by Salsero » Jul 1st, '08, 15:41

RussianSoul wrote:Yes, of course they will work. The question was just to get an idea and to pass the time while we're waiting for the postman.
Well, that didn't take too long. I guess now we are down to having to choose between telling ghost stories or dirty jokes.

... or you could give us some ideas about how she might best approach brewing her first loose tea, Russian Soul. After all, once that postman comes and goes, she's going to be in a big rush to mix water and tea to see what happens. We wouldn't want to see her do any harm to herself or her home due to careless handling of oolong.

Jul 1st, '08, 17:43

by Riene » Jul 1st, '08, 17:43

Salsero wrote:After all, once that postman comes and goes, she's going to be in a big rush to mix water and tea to see what happens. We wouldn't want to see her do any harm to herself or her home due to careless handling of oolong.
:shock: Well, at least there's still time to update the home owner's insurance!
--Tang Dynasty

Jul 1st, '08, 18:19

by Victoria » Jul 1st, '08, 18:19

Riene wrote:
Salsero wrote:After all, once that postman comes and goes, she's going to be in a big rush to mix water and tea to see what happens. We wouldn't want to see her do any harm to herself or her home due to careless handling of oolong.
:shock: Well, at least there's still time to update the home owner's insurance!
Ha! I needed to do that on Sunday before my little Japanese incense bathroom fire, but that's another story.

There are lots of ways to brew and people here seem to disagree on temps quite often. So even with our instruction, you may need to experiment to find what's best for you.

Jul 1st, '08, 19:46

by RussianSoul » Jul 1st, '08, 19:46

Salsero wrote:
RussianSoul wrote:Yes, of course they will work. The question was just to get an idea and to pass the time while we're waiting for the postman.
Well, that didn't take too long. I guess now we are down to having to choose between telling ghost stories or dirty jokes.

... or you could give us some ideas about how she might best approach brewing her first loose tea, Russian Soul. After all, once that postman comes and goes, she's going to be in a big rush to mix water and tea to see what happens. We wouldn't want to see her do any harm to herself or her home due to careless handling of oolong.
Oh well, I am fairly new myself, but I am learning from the best here. Victoria, Her Majesty the Queen of Oolongs, gave me the most invaluable advice on brewing Oolong Western style. Based on your current pots, Reine, that is the type of brewing you will be doing initially.

I differentiate my oolongs into green and oxidized (these look brown).

I brew green oolong with these parameters: 3g, 8oz, 180°F, 3m, 4m, 5m, 7m. I may do another one - the last - with boiling water and 10m.

For oxidized oolongs I use: 3g, 8oz, water just off boil, 3m, 4m, 5m. For Adagio oolongs I find 4th infusion too light to enjoy, so I don't go that far.

And yes, I am a techie - have scales, thermometer and timer. I think Her Majesty V. brews more by feel. But I will let her speak for herself.

+ Post Reply