Which first Oolong tea?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 29th, '08, 06:41

by Grubby » Jul 29th, '08, 06:41

Thx for all the help ABx, very nice post!

Btw. about the flavour, the example where i talked about a very powerful oolong was just a silly example, but i gues i didn't make that clear enough. I have actually tried all kind of teas except Oolong (ok technically i tried that before) and Puerh so i know you have to pay attention to the aroma of tea. White tea was just too thin for me though :)

About the tea shops i actually tried that, there aren't any run by chinese (or taiwanese or japanese :( ).
There are mainly Vietnamese and Thai people here and though they have shops they don't seem to care so much about tea? Also they are pretty racist as far as my experience goes.

Jul 30th, '08, 01:04

by inspectoring » Jul 30th, '08, 01:04

Grubby - Please please try ten ren - they have many grades of oolong (kings tea) which is truly amazing. They have stores in the NYC and queens area. The prices are quite reasonable - their 3rd grade (1st being the most expensive) - which is about 16 $ for 4 oz - is an amazing tea. Multiple brews..atleast 4-5. Their tea is mixed with ginseng and they really do an amazing job at that.
http://www.tenren.com/kingsoolong.html

Jul 30th, '08, 06:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Jul 30th, '08, 06:16

Grubby wrote:Btw. about the flavour, the example where i talked about a very powerful oolong was just a silly example, but i gues i didn't make that clear enough. I have actually tried all kind of teas except Oolong (ok technically i tried that before) and Puerh so i know you have to pay attention to the aroma of tea. White tea was just too thin for me though :)
So just exceptional teas then :) Well hopefully my explanation will benefit some lurker out there.

I actually really do like the ones I listed, so give them a try. You might also give some serious consideration to getting at least some of the more expensive teas, even if it means foregoing a little variety. It sounds like you're probably ready for it. Wuyi yancha (Wuyi is a mountain, yancha means "rock tea" and refers to the rocky cliffs that the tea trees grow on) is a great introduction to finer teas with amazing complexity, aroma, flavor, texture, aftertaste, and so on - especially when they have a little age. Yancha can improve dramatically when it has a few years of aging behind it.

The Lao Cong is still a good one, but you might consider some of the 2005 Rou Gui. Rou Gui has an amazing flavor similar to cinnamon bark, and yancha in general gets better with age. TeaCuppa's 2005 Rou Gui is one of the best that I've had (without going into the really expensive stuff). It has most/all the qualities of a great yancha, is relatively forgiving (compared to some yancha), and while it's a little spendy it won't break the bank. It was actually the one that really got me hooked on yancha in general, and since you recently got yixing pots and gaiwans I think it would make a great starter to learn gongfu and give the new teaware a workout :) Everyday type inexpensive teas would indeed benefit from gongfu, as just about any Chinese tea will, but with something like the 2005 Rou Gui you would probably notice a bigger improvement.

...and once you get it brewed "just right" you'll probably become as addicted as we are :shock: :twisted:
About the tea shops i actually tried that, there aren't any run by chinese (or taiwanese or japanese :( ).
There are mainly Vietnamese and Thai people here and though they have shops they don't seem to care so much about tea? Also they are pretty racist as far as my experience goes.
Ah, I wondered if that wouldn't be the case. It's really too bad; hopefully you will find yourself somewhere with a great shop someday. In the meantime, the online shops often (not always, but often) sell better stuff anyway :)

Jul 30th, '08, 08:54

by Grubby » Jul 30th, '08, 08:54

Ok you convinced me :lol:

I got the Magnolia Dan Cong, Da ye wuyi and Lao Cong. The Rou Gui 05 was simply too expensive for me, since the minimum amount was 100 gr.

Also, Oolong can get better with age? I had no idea. I guess you learn something new every day :idea:

About ginseng, i don't think i would like that flavour in my tea. I have tired it as a supplement, where i poured it in my coffee and the flavour was just as powerful as the coffee :o

Jul 30th, '08, 11:08

by keelyn » Jul 30th, '08, 11:08

I have a ginseng oolong and its really quite sweet and tasty rather than harsh. I can enjoy it gongfu-style, where the first steep dissolves nearly all the visible ginseng "cake" from the leaves into a small volume of liquid and its very tasty that way! I'd imagine that your ginseng supplement was not made with flavor in mind?

Jul 30th, '08, 11:44

by Grubby » Jul 30th, '08, 11:44

Hm no you're right it wasn't made for taste, but it was pure liquified ginseng with no additives.

I probably shouldn't be so prejudiced though, maybe i will try it some time.

Jul 31st, '08, 01:13

by ABx » Jul 31st, '08, 01:13

Grubby wrote:Ok you convinced me :lol:

I got the Magnolia Dan Cong, Da ye wuyi and Lao Cong. The Rou Gui 05 was simply too expensive for me, since the minimum amount was 100 gr.
Good stuff :) Just don't try to gongfu the Da Ye, it's made for big pots.
Also, Oolong can get better with age? I had no idea. I guess you learn something new every day :idea:
Yup, especially Wuyi yancha. Others can usually be aged, but may require certain storage conditions.

Jul 31st, '08, 14:43

by ABx » Jul 31st, '08, 14:43

cgencer wrote:
ABx wrote:
Grubby wrote:Ok you convinced me :lol:

Good stuff :) Just don't try to gongfu the Da Ye, it's made for big pots.
I'm just curious, how can a tea be made for big pots ? Why wouldn't it work with gong fu?
The leaves are very big and voluminous, and there may be something about the processing. It just doesn't turn out very well when you try to brew it in a small pot.

Jul 31st, '08, 15:26

by chamekke » Jul 31st, '08, 15:26

Grubby wrote:thats fine but adagio europe has different teas than adagio usa, so i can't really use your advice on that :( For example there is no Oolong #40 on the europe site. But i gues it can help new oolong drinkers from the states ;)
I think you can still order from Adagio USA if you want to.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 31st, '08, 16:15

by Grubby » Jul 31st, '08, 16:15

Will the Da Ye work with a similar approach to brewing black teas?
I was thinking one long infusion in a big pot, maybe 5-7 min.? If i did multiple infusions in a big pot i would have way too much tea xD

Jul 31st, '08, 17:10

by Salsero » Jul 31st, '08, 17:10

Grubby wrote:Will the Da Ye work with a similar approach to brewing black teas?
I was thinking one long infusion in a big pot, maybe 5-7 min.? If i did multiple infusions in a big pot i would have way too much tea xD
I have had very pleasant results with an infuser basket in a mug: 6.0 grams in 6 oz warmed mug, temp: off boil, 30 s, 30 s, 45 s, 90 s, 1 m, 3 m. That's six infusions, but I also had a lot of leaf. You could try reducing the leaf and increasing the time.

Aug 1st, '08, 12:35

by Beidao » Aug 1st, '08, 12:35

Hi/hej/hei Grubby! I'm fairly new to Oolong myself. So far I've had Ti Kuan Yin, Mei Shan Yin Xuan, Feng Huang Dan Cong Mi Lan Xiang and Huang Yin Gui. The one I liked most was the Dan Cong one. Has ordered some samples lateley so I've got three new oolongs to try :D I ordered them from House of Tea - located in Sweden, selling to Denmark. They have quite a lot of Oolong, you could look them up. Ps. Google the tea names first. I skip those ones that only gives Czech results.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Aug 1st, '08, 13:10

by Grubby » Aug 1st, '08, 13:10

They look interesting, but some of their stuff is definitely overpriced.
For example look at Castleton Moonlight FF, 199 kr for 50 gr. If you import that yourself you can get it MUCH cheaper.
However the "Tie Guanyin King" seems quite cheap, 74 kr for 70 gr. Weird :?

Aug 1st, '08, 14:37

by Beidao » Aug 1st, '08, 14:37

Overpriced, yes I guess... some of it is way to expensive for me, but I don't have a very good picture of what it should cost.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

+ Post Reply