Oolong tea bad for health?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Aug 17th, '08, 23:04

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 17th, '08, 23:04

silverneedles wrote:heh, and if that day comes, i'll be prepared to buy all the 1950s Puer Cakes and 1970s(best year no? :wink: ) Wuyi Rock Tea Special Grade at dirt cheap prices.... aaah... truck loads of unwanted tea.....
probability is very high... that it wont happen. eh. dreams.
We all must have dreams though :lol:

Aug 17th, '08, 23:33
Vendor Member

by TIM » Aug 17th, '08, 23:33

Grubby wrote:"Does Grilling or Barbecuing Meat Cause Cancer?
According to Dr. Ted Gansler, director of Medical Content for the American Cancer Society, eating excessive amounts of grilled meat or chicken can increase your risk of developing cancer. This is also true for pan-fried meats at high temperatures.

Current research tells us that the well done or charred meats pose the highest risk. The problem that cooking at very high temperatures break down the amino acid, creatine, in meats. When this occurs, chemical is formed, heterocyclic amines (HAs). HAs are carcinogenic and are linked to cancer."
http://cancer.about.com/od/foodguide/a/grillingmeat.htm

I think all coffee drinker will be at risk.... only if they prefer roasted coffee....
:roll:

Aug 17th, '08, 23:36

by Smells_Familiar » Aug 17th, '08, 23:36

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Interesting link, but unfortunately, without data points collected regarding TEA, this is irrelevant to the idea of tea being unhealthy. At best. At worst, listing it here as a potential danger is fear-mongering.
K...I was just trying to be helpful and present some info more closely related to roasted tea than the cooked meat info. I don't know if oolong contains asparagine or not, but it definately contains carbs, so... Look, I see what you're saying, but I surely wasn't trying to scare anyone. Personally, I'm not worried about it, and I drink me the piss outta some oolong. ok? :D

Aug 17th, '08, 23:44

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 17th, '08, 23:44

Smells_Familiar wrote: Look, I see what you're saying, but I surely wasn't trying to scare anyone. Personally, I'm not worried about it, and I drink me the piss outta some oolong. ok? :D
/end thread :P

Aug 17th, '08, 23:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Aug 17th, '08, 23:48

Smells_Familiar wrote: I see what you're saying, but I surely wasn't trying to scare anyone. Personally, I'm not worried about it, and I drink me the piss outta some oolong. ok? :D
Sorry, didn't mean to go all pitbull, it's just a pet peeve of mine... research that is irrelevant to a particular health claim. Long story, with a large cast of quacks, snake oil salesmen and rainmakers... :?

Aug 17th, '08, 23:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Aug 17th, '08, 23:57

Smells_Familiar wrote:See this link about foods that contain Acrylamide, a known carcinogen. Acrylamide tends to form when foods that are high in carbohydrates and/or an amino acid called asparagine are cooked at high temperatures. This link lists the top 20 acrylamide rich foods as listed by the FDA. This info seems more revelant to roasted tea than the cooked meat thingy. Something tells me they didn't evaluate wuyi oolongs...
Of course we also know that tea isn't roasted at high temps, nor burned (nobody would want to drink burnt tea). We also have no idea how much, or even if it would transfer to the infusion even if it were a concern (pesticides don't transfer into the infusion very much, and some just don't).

+ Post Reply