Hello!


Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Hello!

Postby cheaton » Aug 22nd, '08, 21:54

Hello, I'm new so thought I'd introduce myself. I live in the Cleveland, OH area, moved here from Atlanta via D.C. I fell in love with an Oolong tea from a local tea shop many years ago, and just recently re-picked up my tea addiction. I couldn't remember the Oolong I used to get so I went looking. I ordered several samples from Adagio, the 18, the 8, the 40, and the TKY. Turns out it was the TKY that I was looking for. Can anyone tell me what the proper names for the 18, 8 and 40 are? Also, are there less expensive TKY's out there that are still worth drinking? It's a bit too expensive from here to make it my daily drink...

Thanks in advance!
User avatar
cheaton
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Aug 12th, '

Postby Victoria » Aug 22nd, '08, 22:16

Welcome! Oolongs are my favorite! And I'm also from Ohio!!

18 = Jade Oolong

40 = Formosa Oolong likely Bai Hao

8 = not sure, looks blended and is heavily oxidized Formosa oolong

Adagio's TKY is a very good price, you can find it for less but I'd wonder
about the quality.
User avatar
Victoria
 
Posts: 8186
Joined: Jan 8th, '0
Location: Southern CA

Postby cheaton » Aug 22nd, '08, 23:06

Thanks for the info. I don't mind paying that price for it, I'll just have to make something else my every day tea. Which is fine with me. I love the TKY. Still 3 more to try! :)
User avatar
cheaton
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Aug 12th, '

Postby PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 22nd, '08, 23:27

cheaton wrote:Thanks for the info. I don't mind paying that price for it, I'll just have to make something else my every day tea. Which is fine with me. I love the TKY. Still 3 more to try! :)


What kind of price range are you looking for in an everyday oolong? We can probably suggest some other places outside adagio to try that you might like.
User avatar
PolyhymnianMuse
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Dec 30th, '
Location: Sandy Run Road, Pennsylvania, USA

Postby cheaton » Aug 22nd, '08, 23:47

I dunno, I'd say $2 an ounce makes sense to me to spend on something I'd drink everyday. Occaisionally I'll find something I like at the local oriental store. I drink some Genmai Cha now and then as well, but I get burned out on it. I have some cheap Oolong from a local coffe shop that sells for $1.25 an ounce... they call it Min Nam Oolong... I call it no taste oolong.... I finally was able to talk my wife into letting me get some "real" tea... and I'm not dissappointed.
User avatar
cheaton
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Aug 12th, '

Postby shogun89 » Aug 23rd, '08, 00:08

cheaton wrote:I dunno, I'd say $2 an ounce makes sense to me to spend on something I'd drink everyday. Occaisionally I'll find something I like at the local oriental store. I drink some Genmai Cha now and then as well, but I get burned out on it. I have some cheap Oolong from a local coffe shop that sells for $1.25 an ounce... they call it Min Nam Oolong... I call it no taste oolong.... I finally was able to talk my wife into letting me get some "real" tea... and I'm not dissappointed.


Welcome!!!!!!!

I hate to say this but your not going to find too much in the $2 an ounce section. I'm not a huge oolong drinker myself but I do like it and usually spend about $15-$30 per 4 ounces for my oolongs.

Check out this site, I have not had any oolongs from here yet but I do get puerh from here. They seem to have a good selection at a good price. Have fun!!

http://stores.ebay.com/Dragon-Tea-House ... idZ2QQtZkm :D :D :D :D :D
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 23rd, '08, 00:13

Actually Teahome on ebay sells oolongs pretty cheap and they are very good from what i've had. You might want to check out them.

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... =teahomeus
User avatar
PolyhymnianMuse
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Dec 30th, '
Location: Sandy Run Road, Pennsylvania, USA

Postby cheaton » Aug 23rd, '08, 00:25

Well, that's me. Champaign taste... beer budget. I'm ok with slumming it with some lower quality stuff for daily drinking and saving my sweet leafs for the evening after work cool-down :). I have found the occaisional pre-packaged Oolong that suprises me (you know, the funky long plastic bags with the asian writing all over them you find at the Asian grocery). Fewer and farther between since moving to Cleveland... not exactly a tea drinkers paradise. Although I did just discover there's a small "chinatown"... looking forward to exploring that soon! Will let you know if I find any gems. hehe.

(Will be trying Oolong #8 in the morning, that's not too far off of that $2 an ounce mark. Just a matter of wether I like it or not...)
User avatar
cheaton
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Aug 12th, '

Postby shogun89 » Aug 23rd, '08, 11:05

cheaton wrote:Well, that's me. Champaign taste... beer budget. I'm ok with slumming it with some lower quality stuff for daily drinking and saving my sweet leafs for the evening after work cool-down :). I have found the occaisional pre-packaged Oolong that suprises me (you know, the funky long plastic bags with the asian writing all over them you find at the Asian grocery). Fewer and farther between since moving to Cleveland... not exactly a tea drinkers paradise. Although I did just discover there's a small "chinatown"... looking forward to exploring that soon! Will let you know if I find any gems. hehe.

(Will be trying Oolong #8 in the morning, that's not too far off of that $2 an ounce mark. Just a matter of wether I like it or not...)


Once you find your everyday oolong make sure you dont actually drink it every day. Trust me, your tastes will become much more fond of what you dont have often. So try to get into the greens, blacks, puerh's and so on. trust me if you cycle your teas your appreciation for them will rise dramatically.
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Beidao » Aug 23rd, '08, 14:14

Hi Cheaton! How many times do you steep the TKY? The pricing bit is not as simple if you look on it as a matter of steepings. I've managed to get 13 steepings out of a TKY that costed 2 dollars per 100 g.
User avatar
Beidao
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Apr 10th, '
Location: Sweden

Postby PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 23rd, '08, 14:46

Beidao wrote:Hi Cheaton! How many times do you steep the TKY? The pricing bit is not as simple if you look on it as a matter of steepings. I've managed to get 13 steepings out of a TKY that costed 2 dollars per 100 g.


Wow where are you buying your TKY? :shock:
User avatar
PolyhymnianMuse
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Dec 30th, '
Location: Sandy Run Road, Pennsylvania, USA

Postby cheaton » Aug 23rd, '08, 23:11

Ya that's true about the multiple steeps. I'm on the third of the Adagio #18 and it's still nice.

At this point I've tried all four samples I got. Not too fond of the #40... it seems a bit weak. Maybe I didn't use enough leaf, no scale to weigh only volume measurement. #8 Tastes a bit like black tea with green tea overtones. #18 and TKY are my favorite and taste like what I expect Oolong to taste like with a wide changing array of tastes as it passes across the tongue. From Floral, to sweet, to ever so slightly bitter, to mildly astringent. (Not neccesarily in that order).
User avatar
cheaton
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Aug 12th, '

Postby Beidao » Aug 24th, '08, 10:30

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:
Beidao wrote:Hi Cheaton! How many times do you steep the TKY? The pricing bit is not as simple if you look on it as a matter of steepings. I've managed to get 13 steepings out of a TKY that costed 2 dollars per 100 g.


Wow where are you buying your TKY? :shock:


:lol: Sorry, I'm not used to dollars. Should be 20 dollars. Quite a difference I guess :wink:
User avatar
Beidao
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Apr 10th, '
Location: Sweden

Postby JadeKitsune » Aug 24th, '08, 19:45

Welcome Cheaton. ;-)

I adore Oolong and recently had a great experience with several varieties from EnjoyingTea.com.

I've tried these blends:
Osmanthus Oolong
Ginseng Oolong
Wuyi Wulong
Genmai Chai.

My current favorite is the Wuyi.

Anyhow the taste was lovely, and their customer service really blew me away. Best I've ever seen.

Looking forward to trying some from Adagio as well -- I love these forums. :D

Any recommendations for favorites?
User avatar
JadeKitsune
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Aug 14th, '

Postby kymidwife » Aug 24th, '08, 20:55

I'm no expert, but I know what I like... and i have become an oolong girl. I like greener, more floral, and not so much the darker ones.

So, my favorites so far have been:

Adagio #18, Pouchong, and TKY
SpecialTeas Tung Ting Jade Oolong
Upton's Osmanthus Oolong
New Mexico Tea Company's Orange Blossom Oolong (which is too orange for me so i mix half and half with TKY or whatever oolong is handy)

I enjoy them all most when i do a hot flash rinse of about 30 seconds... I always found the first infusion to be my least favorite till I started doing this. I use lots of leaf, many short steeps, and love it unsweetened. When I've had 2 or 3 or 4 good hot steeps, I use what's left for iced tea. Delicious.

Can hardly wait to try some new stuff when the box pass comes my way.

Welcome to Teachat, you are among friends. :)

Sarah
User avatar
kymidwife
 
Posts: 1334
Joined: May 10th, '
Location: Kentucky

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation