how to identify tie guan yin quality (Oolong tea )

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 11th, '08, 20:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Sep 11th, '08, 20:59

orguz wrote: There surely must be high quality N.X TIE GUAN YIN for sale made by honest tea roasters. I drink this tea daily, I don't know why this version is regarded so terrible.
I think (?) I included a nice Traditional TGY in the package I mailed to you on Monday. Hope you like it ... (if I remember to include it!) Please let me know how it compares in your experience with this genre. I have had very few.

It is not surprising that there is discrimination and prejudice within China ... such a big country ... or within the ranks of tea drinkers, so many people with different tastes. I'm sure your statement puts the issue in perspective for the rest of us. Thanks for standing up.

Sep 11th, '08, 22:29

by chrl42 » Sep 11th, '08, 22:29

orguz wrote:Recently I wanted to buy TKY which I'll call nong xiang for convenience sake. The store's owner replied back when asked if he stocked this TKY by asking, in a critical fashion, if I am from Teochew/Chaozhou or native of this region in southern China.

It was implied nobody drinks this type of TKY, it is made from crappy leafs and unfit for serious tea drinkers unlike the Teochew people (quite untrue, they popularised Gong Fu brewing) I was surprised and dumbfounded.

The original post here also stated nong xiang TKY is made with lower quality tgy leafs etc. It seems traditional TKY is getting a bad rap. There surely must be high quality N.X TIE GUAN YIN for sale made by honest tea roasters. I drink this tea daily, I don't know why this version is regarded so terrible. Marketing comes to mind now, less processing means lower cost, so the qing xiang light floral type are released into consumer market faster and cheaper but not necessarily better.
I pretty much agree, it was Chao Zhou(趙州) people who took tea drinking seriously thus the gong fu brewing.

While it's true most of Fujian TGY comes with Qing Xiang, Nong Xiang TGY being bad with quality sounds somewhat unfit.

Example is Dong Ding and Mu Zha Tie Guan Yin from Taiwan. It's only Mu Zha Tie Guan Yin that still perpetuate the traditional method today, while others losing traditional skills.

And reason Qing Xiang dominate the market is, cos people like it more.

Sep 11th, '08, 23:29

by Space Samurai » Sep 11th, '08, 23:29

chrl42 wrote: It's only Mu Zha Tie Guan Yin that still perpetuate the traditional method today
Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't think that statement is entirely accurate.

Sep 12th, '08, 00:10

by chrl42 » Sep 12th, '08, 00:10

Space Samurai wrote:
chrl42 wrote: It's only Mu Zha Tie Guan Yin that still perpetuate the traditional method today
Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't think that statement is entirely accurate.
It was said by Taiwainese proffesor 姜育發 Jiang Yu Fa - one of 10 Chinese goverment appointed expert on Puerh. With numerous trying of Hong Bei done on a purely selected bush planted by Zhang Nei Miao brothers in Guang Xu period, Qing dynasty in a region of Mu Zha, was only able to continue the labor of effort making traditional TGY.

If you are not familiar with Jiang Yu Fa, his name already is the power in Chinese tea society and I don't think you can find any English speaker who's more authorized or knowledgible on Puerh and Taiwanese tea in general.

And of course you have your reason backed by sources.

Sep 13th, '08, 21:24

by taitea » Sep 13th, '08, 21:24

I have been drinking this tgy which my local vendor puts in his black section:

Before:

After:

Anyone ever heard of this?

Sep 13th, '08, 21:50

by scruffmcgruff » Sep 13th, '08, 21:50

That doesn't look anything like any TGY I've ever had. Looks more like dian hong/ golden yunnan to me, which is a black tea.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Sep 13th, '08, 21:51

by orguz » Sep 13th, '08, 21:51

[quote="taitea"]I have been drinking this tgy which my local vendor puts in his black section:

What do the other TGY tasters think of it, looks like a shui xian type of tea or another yancha

Sep 13th, '08, 21:56

by scruffmcgruff » Sep 13th, '08, 21:56

I was thinking maybe a shui xian, but it has a lot of golden buds like dian hong.

Sep 13th, '08, 22:18

by Salsero » Sep 13th, '08, 22:18

scruffmcgruff wrote: I was thinking maybe a shui xian, but it has a lot of golden buds like dian hong.
I don't think I see any buds. Nice photos, BTW, Taitea. They really make this discussion possible. Can you describe the taste at all? And your brewing parameters and results?

Sep 13th, '08, 22:33

by scruffmcgruff » Sep 13th, '08, 22:33

Aren't those golden buds in the lower right of the dry leaf pic? I could be mistaken.

Sep 13th, '08, 22:39

by Salsero » Sep 13th, '08, 22:39

scruffmcgruff wrote: Aren't those golden buds in the lower right of the dry leaf pic? I could be mistaken.
Oh, you are saying because of the color? I was looking for a bud shape.

Sep 13th, '08, 22:43

by taitea » Sep 13th, '08, 22:43

Well, of the mentioned teas... I haven't tasted any of them. But I have tasted lighter tie guan yins and there is definitely a resemblance. I guess the misleading part is that the dry leaves aren't rolled like a typical tgy. I will ask the vendor for more info the next time I'm in the shop.

Sep 13th, '08, 22:57

by leiche » Sep 13th, '08, 22:57

I don't think I've ever seen a TGY or Wuyi yancha type with such pronounced golden tips. I'm with Scruff on this one -- looks more like a Yunnan black. Compare:

Odd.
Last edited by leiche on Sep 13th, '08, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 13th, '08, 23:02

by Proinsias » Sep 13th, '08, 23:02

FWIW I've just spent the evening drinking some Wild Kwan Yin that Salsero kindly sent me and I'm thinking with a little roasting it may not look too dissimilar to what you've shown.

edit: if I hadn't just finished it I'd be standing over the hob with an origami tea roaster right now.

+ Post Reply