Most expensive

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Most expensive

Postby devites » Sep 11th, '08, 01:47

What is the most expensive oolong you have tried? Was it the best? I am asking because i am thinking about buying this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190099649427&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009#ebayphotohosting
devites

Postby Victoria » Sep 11th, '08, 02:06

Floating Leaves Tea -
Ali Shan
High Mountain Oolong
Traditional

2 oz = $35.50 - Was it worth it? Absolutely.
Victoria

Postby olivierco » Sep 11th, '08, 11:13

Exquisite Da Hong Pao 20$ for 12g

Kindly sent by scruffmcgruff (Thanks again!). He reviewed it on his blog here

It was quite excellent but I preferred an other one he also sent kindly to me
olivierco

Postby edkrueger » Sep 11th, '08, 11:37

Phoenix/ Dang Cong:

I tried this in the shop [$30 oz.] http://shop.samovartea.com/Product.jmdx ... String=pho

Was it the best? No

What was better [$31 2 oz.]: http://www.teance.com/Phoenix_Single_Gr ... tea491.htm

I don't know if this helps, but in Oolong you usually get what you pay for. Its still possible to find deals in pu-erh.
edkrueger

Re: Most expensive

Postby hop_goblin » Sep 11th, '08, 12:13

devites wrote:What is the most expensive oolong you have tried? Was it the best? I am asking because i am thinking about buying this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190099649427&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009#ebayphotohosting

That is not too expensive. Not bad at all at 75g
hop_goblin

Postby RussianSoul » Sep 11th, '08, 12:29

Most expensive was Huang Zi Xiang Orange Flower 07, a Phoenix Dan Cong from Tea Habitat, $19/oz.

It was a gift sample from Sal for which I am most grateful. But for my undeveloped palate it wasn't worth the price. It seems like one can pay almost unlimited money for a high end Dan Cong, Tea Habitat has some for $30/oz, this is $480 a pound! I guess if you understand and can appreciate the finer points of Dan Cong, it can be worth it. I can't.
RussianSoul

Re: Most expensive

Postby Salsero » Sep 11th, '08, 12:45

devites wrote: What is the most expensive oolong you have tried? [/url]
The most expensive teas I have paid for have been in the $1 per gram and above range, mostly Dan Congs and Wuyi. As a comparison, the tea you reference is about 50¢ a gram. Generally, I have not felt that expensive teas give value proportional to their cost. Price and pleasure are not directly related. For instance, the Da Yu Ling you reference carries a premium because of the high location of the Da Yu Ling Ridge, high on Li Shan. I have had this tea and it is good, but it will not be a revelation if you have previously sampled a few good Taiwan oolongs. The Wuyi Bai Ji Guan is expensive because it got labelled as a si da ming and not much is produced each year ... but it is not all that great. Da Hong Pao tends to be expensive because it is famous, so even a lousy DHP can be pricey.

I think TeaHome has this same tea available in a smaller quantity as part of one of their sampler sets. That's the way I personally like to go with this stuff.

By the way, your Nonpareil L J is in the mail. It is very good, but at half the price, the Superfine (also in the mail) is almost as good.
Salsero

Postby Beidao » Sep 11th, '08, 13:33

I've seen a Wuyi Yancha for 33 dollars per 7 gram. But I have not bought it - yet :lol:
Beidao

Postby Geekgirl » Sep 11th, '08, 13:41

I'm cheap. CHEAP I tell ya. $9-10/ounce is probably the most I've paid for an oolong. It was a very good oolong, and I enjoyed it immensely. I will probably never pay much more than that. I'm curious about the really super expensive teas, but probably won't ever purchase more than a sample.
Geekgirl

Postby tenuki » Sep 11th, '08, 13:44

Like everything else in life you can get 80% to perfection relatively easily, every increment after that requires double the effort. ;)
tenuki

Postby Chip » Sep 11th, '08, 14:32

tenuki wrote:Like everything else in life you can get 80% to perfection relatively easily, every increment after that requires double the effort. ;)

Exactomundo!!! I am generally happy to get to the 80% level, but occasionally it is fun to play outside this range. In the realm of premium oolongs, I have yet to journey, but I had the Floating Leaves Tea - Ali Shan High Mountain Oolong Traditional from Victoria. It was amazing. :)
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Salsero » Sep 11th, '08, 15:30

tenuki wrote: Like everything else in life you can get 80% to perfection relatively easily, every increment after that requires double the effort.
Well put. I was trying to say this but couldn't get close! Thanks, Tenuki.
Salsero

Postby TIM » Sep 12th, '08, 14:43

tried a 2003 DHP 2nd generation at the Tea Gallery yesterday, ended the first session 3 hrs. later. $2 per gram and is better then to open a so so red in the Big Apple.
TIM
Vendor Member

Postby Tadpole » Sep 19th, '08, 12:04

Most expensive that I've tried for free from a generous friend: a Feng Hugan Dan Cong that is $30/ounce. It was really fruity, roasty, and rich. Though I'm not sure if I want to dig out $30/ounce for any tea at this time in my life. Especially since I get a similar fix from another very fruity, roasty, and rich TKY that is $18 for 5 oz.

Most expensive that I've tried, and bought myself regularly: high mountain oolongs (usually LiShan or Shan Ling Xi) around $15/ounce. This is worth it to me, because even if I drink this 5x a week, I only need 4 oz a month which is $60 per month - not incredibly expensive if you consider the fact that I rarely drop any $ for alcohol, and I don't do the daily latte thing like so many urban people do.
Tadpole

Instant Messenger

Permissions