Best/Favorite Oolong Sources?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 26th, '08, 12:09
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Sep 26th, '08, 12:09

In addition to ALL of the above, I think that Grand Tea, Seven Cups, and Golden Teahouse all have good yancha. Golden also has some good TGY and others, though I haven't had their full range. Aura has some good ones as well, though curiously I didn't care for their samples much (I think their sample tins leave some to be desired).

Sep 26th, '08, 12:13

by taitea » Sep 26th, '08, 12:13

ABX, can you compare the yanchas (or DHP in particular) from Goldenteahouse and Teacuppa? Their "regular" grades seem to be in the same price range. I tried Golden's and liked it, but I'm wondering if I should keep exploring or not.

Sep 26th, '08, 17:56

by edkrueger » Sep 26th, '08, 17:56

My Oolong Sources [the best ones.] Red Blossom, Teance, Seven Cups and Hou De.

Oct 25th, '08, 12:48

by drumhum » Oct 25th, '08, 12:48

Some of my favourite Oolongs have come from Teaspring.com.

I'm surprised they don't get mentioned more often on these boards.

Their sister company www.royalpuer.com/ is also worth a look. They're not the cheapest but their postage is reasonable.

Oct 25th, '08, 13:37

by edkrueger » Oct 25th, '08, 13:37

Those prices aren't so bad. They range form cheap to extremely expense.

Oct 25th, '08, 16:08

by Victoria » Oct 25th, '08, 16:08

t4texas wrote:Anyone have any experience with Oolongs from silkroadteas.com?
I did not care for the two olongs I tried from them. I think I put them in the Oolong box pass, and others liked them, but I won't buy there again. Also, the sizes are not convenient.

My favorites are - higer end - not in order:
Hou De
TeaMasters
Floating Leaves Tea
Jing Tea SHop

Medium Range:
Adagio
Tao of Tea
Bird Pick

Oct 25th, '08, 21:18

by shogun89 » Oct 25th, '08, 21:18

Has anyone ever bought any oolong from Dragon Tea House?

Oct 26th, '08, 16:13

by Cinnabar Red » Oct 26th, '08, 16:13

Hou De is my choice, in my limited experience.

Oct 26th, '08, 16:34

by Herb_Master » Oct 26th, '08, 16:34

shogun89 wrote:Has anyone ever bought any oolong from Dragon Tea House?
Yes, in my first burst of enthusiasm I bought tea from about 6 different suppliers - far too many - from Dragon TeaHouse I bought a lot of teaware storage canisters, thermometer, presentation vessels and more.

I am exceptionally pleased with my Kamjove kettle which takes the pain out of brewing.

I purchased 1 Green Tea and 3 Oolongs
Eye of Phoenix Handmade Jasmine Green Tea 2008 100g
Supreme An Xi Ben Shan Se Zhong Oolong Tea 100g
Organic Phoenix Ba Xian Flavour Dancong Oolong 100g
'An Xi Mao Xie' Hairy Crab Chinese Oolong Tea 100g

Sadly I have only tried the Mao Jie so far - I am greatly pleased with it - a lighter style Oolong that always reminds me of Crab and Snow Pea soup when I drink it which is quite surprising really because I have never had Crab and Snow pea soup.

If you are keen I will make one of the other 2 oolongs my next to try and report back on my findings - though as a relative beginner my notes may be of lesser value -

H

Oct 26th, '08, 17:03

by Victoria » Oct 26th, '08, 17:03

Wow you did step out there!
Congrats on your new teas! Let us know how you like those oolongs, and please check in on TeaDay, and let us know what's in your cup!

Oct 26th, '08, 17:29

by Salsero » Oct 26th, '08, 17:29

Herb_Master wrote: If you are keen
I am keen :D

How about the Supreme Anxi Ben Shan Se Zhong? I have always heard that Ben Shan was a lower quality cultivar often passed off as Tie Guan Yin, which actually comes from a different cultivar.

That Gordon is selling it under its own name suggests it is really just a different tea with its own personality. Certainly his photos of it are very attractive, except the leaves look pretty broken. I have never seen the terms Se Zhong and Ben Shan together in a single name. I wonder if this is two cultivars combined? Or if one name refers to cultivar and another to processing. Gordon's description is not clear.

Imbibe it and tell us what you think!

Oct 28th, '08, 20:39
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 28th, '08, 20:39

Salsero wrote:I have always heard that Ben Shan was a lower quality cultivar often passed off as Tie Guan Yin, which actually comes from a different cultivar.
That is exactly what se zhong mean, non tie guan yin cultivar. It's a term used in southern Fu Jian (where TGY and many other oolong are made) and the term literally means "inferior cultivar" - probably a term promoted by TGY farmers :P

Personally I like Ben Shan and osmanthus oolong, and I like fo shou oolong even more than TGY. TGY is "hot" in recent years. So I assume with a price of medium quality TGY, it's possible to get top quality se zhong :D
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Oct 28th, '08, 23:15

by Salsero » Oct 28th, '08, 23:15

gingko wrote: That is exactly what se zhong mean, non tie guan yin cultivar. It's a term used in southern Fu Jian (where TGY and many other oolong are made) and the term literally means "inferior cultivar" - probably a term promoted by TGY farmers ... I like fo shou oolong
Thanks so much for clarifying all that. Ben Shan is a cultivar and Se Zhong a more informal term, I guess. Is there a specific cultivar that is usually used to make TGY?

I have had a fo shou that I have enjoyed and a generic se zhong that is good and cheap, but not excellent tea.

Oct 29th, '08, 10:45

by Herb_Master » Oct 29th, '08, 10:45

Salsero wrote:
gingko wrote: That is exactly what se zhong mean, non tie guan yin cultivar. It's a term used in southern Fu Jian (where TGY and many other oolong are made) and the term literally means "inferior cultivar" - probably a term promoted by TGY farmers ... I like fo shou oolong
Thanks so much for clarifying all that. Ben Shan is a cultivar and Se Zhong a more informal term, I guess. Is there a specific cultivar that is usually used to make TGY?

I have had a fo shou that I have enjoyed and a generic se zhong that is good and cheap, but not excellent tea.
I have started a separate post on Se Zhong
and a short quote post on TGY
Tasting Notes on my Ben Shan to follow
Best wishes from Cheshire

Oct 29th, '08, 15:18

by Salsero » Oct 29th, '08, 15:18

Herb_Master wrote: I have started a separate post on Se Zhong
and a short quote post on TGY
Tasting Notes on my Ben Shan to follow
Love it! Thanks.

+ Post Reply