Why does my jasmine oolong sometimes taste funny?


Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Postby kymidwife » Oct 22nd, '08, 21:50

Are you using a timer? I'd try with decreasing steep times alittle and see how that affects the taste. Also, could the quality of the water be different between work and home? I notice a difference between the 3 main locations where I brew tea, although its not serious enough to push me into buying bottled water yet.

Sarah

P.S. Just realized this was your first post... welcome to TeaChat!
User avatar
kymidwife
 
Posts: 1334
Joined: May 10th, '
Location: Kentucky

Postby hop_goblin » Oct 23rd, '08, 02:04

because it has jasmine flowers in it. :P
User avatar
hop_goblin
 
Posts: 1949
Joined: May 22nd, '
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!

Postby xuancheng » Oct 23rd, '08, 07:16

I would try using hotter water. I always brew Oolong teas with boiling water. You might want to experiment with with not quite boiling as well, especially for a greener oolong.
User avatar
xuancheng
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Jul 30th, '
Location: Cambridge, MA

Postby Victoria » Oct 23rd, '08, 08:01

hop_goblin wrote:because it has jasmine flowers in it. :P


That is a right-on statement. Funny, but true. With additives in tea you
never know how they are going to react. I have really gotten away from
most things scented or flavored. However I am finding that if you want to
really experience a good floral tea, then start with high quality tea and add
your own florals to it.
User avatar
Victoria
 
Posts: 8186
Joined: Jan 8th, '0
Location: Southern CA

Postby hop_goblin » Oct 23rd, '08, 10:12

Victoria wrote:
hop_goblin wrote:because it has jasmine flowers in it. :P


That is a right-on statement. Funny, but true. With additives in tea you
never know how they are going to react. I have really gotten away from
most things scented or flavored. However I am finding that if you want to
really experience a good floral tea, then start with high quality tea and add
your own florals to it.


Exactly, you also have to remember, that if the company knows they will be adding scent, they can get away with using the most inferior of teas.

Good point Vic
User avatar
hop_goblin
 
Posts: 1949
Joined: May 22nd, '
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!

Postby Chip » Oct 23rd, '08, 11:02

However, if a Jasmine is authentically scented the tradtional way by layering jasmine flowers among quality leaf such as Yin Hao during oxidation, it can be quite nice. And Jasmine Dragon Pearls are amazing, again when authentically scented with flowers. Whenever I have had a commercially spray scented jasmine, I could not even get it past my nose to my mouth. Bleh.

Not sure what the problem is in the OP's situation.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22115
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Postby hop_goblin » Oct 23rd, '08, 11:22

Chip wrote:However, if a Jasmine is authentically scented the tradtional way by layering jasmine flowers among quality leaf such as Yin Hao during oxidation, it can be quite nice. And Jasmine Dragon Pearls are amazing, again when authentically scented with flowers. Whenever I have had a commercially spray scented jasmine, I could not even get it past my nose to my mouth. Bleh.

Not sure what the problem is in the OP's situation.



Very true chip. My comments were primarly directed to crappy stuff comes in a golden tin :P
User avatar
hop_goblin
 
Posts: 1949
Joined: May 22nd, '
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!

Postby Chip » Oct 23rd, '08, 13:15

hop_goblin wrote: Very true chip. My comments were primarly directed to crappy stuff comes in a golden tin :P


I wonder if I had that too. I got it in a square red can and a square goldish can from a Vietnamese grocery store. The stuff was truly the most vile tea I think I ever had. Impossible to brew.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22115
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Postby hop_goblin » Oct 23rd, '08, 13:17

Chip wrote:
hop_goblin wrote: Very true chip. My comments were primarly directed to crappy stuff comes in a golden tin :P


I wonder if I had that too. I got it in a square red can and a square goldish can from a Vietnamese grocery store. The stuff was truly the most vile tea I think I ever had. Impossible to brew.


You got it! Like lawn clippings with old lady's perfume sprinkled all over it!
User avatar
hop_goblin
 
Posts: 1949
Joined: May 22nd, '
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation