DragonTeaHouse Ba Xian Dan Cong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 11th, '08, 17:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Dec 11th, '08, 17:45

Salsero wrote:Often the shortest brew times possible for the first few infusions ... otherwise it can get pretty astringent.
I can't say I found any problems with the first few infusions, if anything I may try them even longer. I like trying 10 and 20 second infusions on other teas

I may increase the amount of tea, reduce the time to 40 seconds, and ensure the teapot is really hot and the water all but boiling.

By the way, Did I see you on another blog enquiring about the "She" nationality?
They get a mention here
http://kepu.jsinfo.gov.cn/english/natio ... index.html
Best wishes from Cheshire

Dec 11th, '08, 17:48

by Herb_Master » Dec 11th, '08, 17:48

thanks wrote:Herb Master have you thought about contributing to wikicha? Your research on various oolongs would be greatly appreciated there. I'm sure your initial research, and some fine tuning through some other members we could really have a lot of information on oolongs.
It is something I have in mind one day, someone else mentioned it on another post of mine, but as I said then I am still not 100% sure of all my words at the moment.

I continue to learn and pick up corrections to supposed facts that I had found on other tea sites.

Dec 11th, '08, 18:06

by wyardley » Dec 11th, '08, 18:06

Herb_Master wrote: 2. I read somewhere that the people of ChaoZhou in Guangdong (or was it everyone in GaungDong) prefers to have their tea steeped really long to get a really full flavour and that unless really heavily roasted a Dan Cong will stand much longer steeping times than other Oolongs.
Alas I cannot finf my reference - but here is an interesting article about them drinking Congou
http://kepu.jsinfo.gov.cn/english/natio ... 40024.html
This is a matter of personal preference and also who you believe. My understanding, though, is that at least in traditional Chaozhou gong fu, it's usually a lot of leaf, and 4 infusions that last basically as long as it takes to dump the contents of the 3 or 4 teacups (1 or 2 at a time) over the pot -- so very quick. I imagine a lot of the people brewing tea in the traditional way are older folks who are long-time tea drinkers, and can take a pretty bitter / astringent tea - so maybe they might push it a little longer (or squish some more leaf in there) if they want a really strong brew.

I have personally have good luck *usually* with a fairly large amount of leaf, usually 1/2-3/4 by volume, and short, almost instant steeps. If the tea comes out too bitter or astringent, I try to pour faster, and then use a little less leaf the next time.

Imen, who I trust quite a bit in matters of dancong prefers to use quite a bit less leaf -- I'd guess 3-5g or so, and a fairly short, but not quite as short, infusion. This results in a slightly lighter brew, but still pretty flavorful and fragrant if you're using good tea, and with less astringence and bitterness.

Dec 11th, '08, 18:21

by Herb_Master » Dec 11th, '08, 18:21

wyardley wrote:
Herb_Master wrote: 2. I read somewhere that the people of ChaoZhou in Guangdong (or was it everyone in GaungDong) prefers to have their tea steeped really long to get a really full flavour and that unless really heavily roasted a Dan Cong will stand much longer steeping times than other Oolongs.
Alas I cannot finf my reference - but here is an interesting article about them drinking Congou
http://kepu.jsinfo.gov.cn/english/natio ... 40024.html
This is a matter of personal preference and also who you believe. My understanding, though, is that at least in traditional Chaozhou gong fu, it's usually a lot of leaf, and 4 infusions that last basically as long as it takes to dump the contents of the 3 or 4 teacups (1 or 2 at a time) over the pot -- so very quick. I imagine a lot of the people brewing tea in the traditional way are older folks who are long-time tea drinkers, and can take a pretty bitter / astringent tea - so maybe they might push it a little longer (or squish some more leaf in there) if they want a really strong brew.

I have personally have good luck *usually* with a fairly large amount of leaf, usually 1/2-3/4 by volume, and short, almost instant steeps. If the tea comes out too bitter or astringent, I try to pour faster, and then use a little less leaf the next time.

Imen, who I trust quite a bit in matters of dancong prefers to use quite a bit less leaf -- I'd guess 3-5g or so, and a fairly short, but not quite as short, infusion. This results in a slightly lighter brew, but still pretty flavorful and fragrant if you're using good tea, and with less astringence and bitterness.
Thanks, I think you may be right - I had a mental note that they liked it stronger - it was probably more leaf rather than longer infusions.

+ Post Reply