Teahome Legend of Dong Ding

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 15th, '08, 23:15
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Dec 15th, '08, 23:15

devites wrote:Last order I got of the Legend was around 3 months ago and I thought it tasted great. No off smells and I thought it had a great savory Dong Ding flavor. The last ali shan that i got from them was not very good it had a weird factory smell, kind of rubbery. I still drank it though haha. Sometimes when I order from China/taiwan my packages smelll like old people and cigarettes.
Is your dong ding same type as bubba's? I got a tradtional roast dong ding from some supplier in China and it is very, very smokey. I suspect it's over-burned in roasting process but would wait for a while and see if the smokey flavor would fade.
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Dec 15th, '08, 23:33

by devites » Dec 15th, '08, 23:33

Yeah it is dong ding shouldn't be very smoky it should just be rich.

Dec 16th, '08, 00:45

by towerofdabble » Dec 16th, '08, 00:45

I bought some probably early this past summer and thought it very good.

Hope this isn't a trend as I was suitably impressed by this, my only order from teahome, and had hoped to try more.

Dec 16th, '08, 03:46

by tenuki » Dec 16th, '08, 03:46

Their Ledgund of Tung Ting is 'traditional style', which actually is usually more oxidized rather than roasted. It is hard to find something like that as most dong dings are rather green, or burnt all to h_ll.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Dec 16th, '08, 03:47

by tenuki » Dec 16th, '08, 03:47

towerofdabble wrote:I bought some probably early this past summer and thought it very good.

Hope this isn't a trend as I was suitably impressed by this, my only order from teahome, and had hoped to try more.
Well, tell me how it goes, I am open to it being a temporary problem.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Dec 16th, '08, 12:09

by Bubba_tea » Dec 16th, '08, 12:09

This definitely isn't smokey - it's musty / almost mothbally not Good Eats... I think I'll write them and ask for a replacement...

Dec 16th, '08, 22:19

by heavydoom » Dec 16th, '08, 22:19

info taken from tea home ebay site :

Member since 18-Mar-02 in Canada

info copied and pasted from email from tea home to me :

Hi, our teas are directly shipped from Taiwan and the parcel takes only about 10 days to 2 weeks to get to the distination in Canada. However the holiday season may make it slightly longer.
I even have customer in Yellow Knife and he is very happy with our service, therefore I believe the Canada Post will do very good job for anywhere in Canada! Thank you for your message and have a nice day!

make what you will from the above information.

i had an instant chat with a tea home employee about the ebay site. he/she said with broken english, not even chinglish, that the tea on ebay were shipped from canada.

Dec 16th, '08, 22:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Dec 16th, '08, 22:50

Maybe the tea shipped within Canada is shipped from Canada. The one time I ordered from them, the tea came from Taiwan.

Dec 16th, '08, 22:54

by heavydoom » Dec 16th, '08, 22:54

maybe. i have stopped caring.

Dec 16th, '08, 23:40
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Dec 16th, '08, 23:40

What's wrong shipped from Canada anyway? Especially if tea is shipped from Taiwan to Canada in bulk and that lowers shipping cost for each customer. I think climate in Canada is actually better for storing tea :P Why do people prefer it's shipped from Taiwan and why do they claim aloud their tea is shipped from Taiwan?
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Dec 17th, '08, 01:18

by Bubba_tea » Dec 17th, '08, 01:18

Didn't they ship Anne from Canada?? Watch that shipping!

Dec 17th, '08, 01:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Dec 17th, '08, 01:51

gingko wrote:What's wrong shipped from Canada anyway? Especially if tea is shipped from Taiwan to Canada in bulk and that lowers shipping cost for each customer. I think climate in Canada is actually better for storing tea :P Why do people prefer it's shipped from Taiwan and why do they claim aloud their tea is shipped from Taiwan?
Teahome is a tea producer in Taiwan. So when you get the tea shipped from Taiwan, you're getting it directly from the farm. If you get it from their shop in Canada then it's more likely to have been sitting around, handled multiple times, etc. The reality may be that there's no real difference, but the chances are just better that you're getting better stuff when you're getting it straight from the farm.

Dec 17th, '08, 06:09

by skywalker » Dec 17th, '08, 06:09

Nowdays the high mountain oolong tea has become the mainstream in taiwan. It also changes the flavor of Dong Ding. That is why you see some Dong Ding is greener than before. But there are some poeple still making the traditional Dong Ding. I don't drink Dong Ding too much. In fact, the real Dong Ding's local price is still very higher than the average. But I consider it is belong to the traditonal type, emphasize the body of tea, sophisticated roast and ferment. The premium grad of Dong Ding is full of "red edge leaf".
Dong Ding is located in Nan Tou, but it can't gaurantee you all the tea from Nan Tou is Dong Ding.
If you like Dong Ding style, there is another special tea from the southernmost end of Taiwan. We call it Gong Kou Tea(Harbor tea). Vey few people know it.

Jan 30th, '09, 13:23

by Bubba_tea » Jan 30th, '09, 13:23

Hey all -
Wanted to give an update. Well, after a while of a little back and forth sending pictures of the bag etc etc - they just sent me a replacement bag and it's completely fine. No grandpa sock smell / taste anymore. I'm going to mad scientist the old funky tea in the crock pot to try re-roasting for grins..

Funny thing is... after all that... I had ordered the wrong tea in the first place. I don't know how it happened, but I got the oriental beauty instead of the legend - bugger all, well, they made well on the order so I'll place another one for the actual tea I wanted in the first place!! :lol:
請进,請坐,請喝茶!!!

+ Post Reply