How About - An - Monthly Oolong - Discussion List

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 13th, '08, 18:12
Scrolling: scrolling

How About - An - Monthly Oolong - Discussion List

by Herb_Master » Dec 13th, '08, 18:12

So many gems of knowledge are shared on these posts and responses, yet still there is so much the majority of us don’t know.

By and large we make our purchases independently of each other, and start consuming what we have, only to find others on these boards are consuming and discussing the Oolongs we thought we would try next time round.

I was, shortly after starting my love affair with Oolong aware that Spring and Fall are 2 separate seasons for plucking leaves that could provide different brews. Now I am aware that depending on the age and arboriculture of the tree/bush there can be 5 or more plucking seasons.

Considering the amount of unopened tea that I have yet to get through, I thought I must make great inroads into this little lot before I make any more purchases, maybe I will then be in a good position to make some nice purchases of Spring 2009.
I failed because after some particularly nice Dan Congs I had to order some more fragrances for comparison.

However the constant inquiries of other posters and responses from tea lovers who have not had it themselves but think it is like !!!! or had it some time ago and seem to recall !!!! or hope to try it one day soon

Makes me think

Would it not be a great idea if

The mods could put up a sticky in the Oolong folder stating what the discussion teas of the month / week will be in the months to come.

Anyone could still post whatever they liked, but a number of the articles would immediately hit home with anyone who was basing some of their purchasing strategy on the Oolong discussion Teas list!
Teas of course could come from any source but Adagio might like to take a lead and start sourcing some of them to be available in time ?

Let’s for instance

April
week 1 Wuyi – Da Hong Pao or Ti Luo Han
week 2 Anxi – Mao Jie or Ben Shan
week 3 Feng Huang – Ginger Flower or Orange Flower fragrance Dan Congs
week 4 Taiwan Dayulings
and in the background all month Darjeeling Oolongs

May
week 1 Wuyi – Shui Jin Gui or Bai Ji Guan
week 2 Anxi – Ti Kuan Yin Traditional Roast
week 3 Feng Huang – Almond or Orchid Fragrance Dan Congs
week 4 Taiwan Alishans
and in the background all month Jasmine oolongs

June
Week 1 Wuyi – Rou Gui or Beidou No 1
Week 2 Anxi – Ti Kuan Yin Modern Roast or Fou Shou
Week 3 Feng Huang – Cassia or Herbal Fragrance Dan Congs
Week 4 Taiwan bao Zhongs
And in the background all month Osmanthus scented Oolongs or Vietnam Oolongs

More enjoyment perhaps in running polls (several months in advance) to see what gets onto the list and when with some cogent and educational arguments from our more educated posters as to why they would be good at that time of year!

Dec 13th, '08, 19:44

by Proinsias » Dec 13th, '08, 19:44

Sounds like a lot of work for chip but a great idea.

It would be nice if each tea forum had a sticky thread which changed every week or month and was dedicated to a particular type of tea. Kind of like teaday only changed far less often and requiring far less brainpower, as there are are quite a lot of teas to choose from and repetition would be fine every so often.

Dec 13th, '08, 21:54

by PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 13th, '08, 21:54

Proinsias wrote:Sounds like a lot of work for chip but a great idea.

It would be nice if each tea forum had a sticky thread which changed every week or month and was dedicated to a particular type of tea. Kind of like teaday only changed far less often and requiring far less brainpower, as there are are quite a lot of teas to choose from and repetition would be fine every so often.
I think this would work well in not only oolong but a lot of the other threads too. I dont think it would really be a terrible amount of work though, the hard part would be planning and choosing what each week/month would be, the rest would pretty much be taken care of by posters. Its a great idea though, would be very helpful for everyone :D

Dec 13th, '08, 23:39

by ABx » Dec 13th, '08, 23:39

Personally I kind of like that everyone is drinking different things; it gives me perspective on a wider range of what's out there and gives me ideas on what I want to order next. Of course people have blogs, too.

+ Post Reply