Unknown Tea - Deciphering Chinese or Tea Type problems pt 1

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 5th, '09, 06:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Jan 5th, '09, 06:08

Thank you Lydia,

and great to see Chip in the Oolong forum :D
Best wishes from Cheshire

Jan 5th, '09, 06:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Jan 5th, '09, 06:16

lydia wrote: The people there only use gai wan and small cups to brew gong fu teas always.
This struck me as interesting.

Various articles (including dozens of travel sites) suggest that Kung Fu Tea was invented in Chao Zhou, and that everywhere you go you will encounter mini teapots trhat will fit in the palm of your hand.

Are you suggesting that the locals prefer to use Gaiwans - maybe the small teapots are for the benefit of tourists?
Best wishes from Cheshire

Jan 5th, '09, 21:34

by lydia » Jan 5th, '09, 21:34

Chip wrote:
gingko wrote:
Salsero wrote:
Herb_Master wrote: Fantastic to have someone from Guangdong on the forum. Welcome indeed.
Thanks for your help, and great info.
+1 :D
+2 :D
Speaking of TeaMeets (elsewhere), I had the pleasure of meeting Lydia at the Expo. She introduced me to some of her Chinese contacts, I introduced her to Den and Japanese tea. :wink:

Very interesting post, Lydia.
Thank you all! Thank you Chip, it was indeed a nice meeting in Las Vegas. :D

Jan 5th, '09, 21:48

by lydia » Jan 5th, '09, 21:48

Herb_Master wrote:
lydia wrote: The people there only use gai wan and small cups to brew gong fu teas always.
This struck me as interesting.

Various articles (including dozens of travel sites) suggest that Kung Fu Tea was invented in Chao Zhou, and that everywhere you go you will encounter mini teapots trhat will fit in the palm of your hand.

Are you suggesting that the locals prefer to use Gaiwans - maybe the small teapots are for the benefit of tourists?
The Chou Zhou and Shantou people use gai wan and mini cups. The reason is because their favourite is dan cong, which the leaves are very long. As a result it would be convenient for using gai wan. Of course, mini teapot is mainly used for tie kuan yin. But the locals are indeed prefer gai wan to brew all kinds of teas. I think this is the traditional habit for them which is not easy to be changed. More interesting, I saw my Chao Zhou friends will bring the whole teaset to travel to everywhere. They will drink teas whenever they have time.

You are right, the small teaports are for the benefit of tourists. But still most of the locals will bring gai wan teaset when travelling. :)

+ Post Reply