Pride comes before a fall.

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 1st, '09, 00:16
Scrolling: scrolling

Pride comes before a fall.

by Herb_Master » Jan 1st, '09, 00:16

My first Gaiwan session went too smoothly to be true.

My 2nd, 3rd and 4th sessions have also gone well but not without a few hiccups.

I have 3 pairs of Gaiwans in the 90ml to 100ml size range and an individual Gaiwan of 200ml.

Yellow Dragon, Deep Blue, Red and White and a Black Pearl.

Yellow Dragon went well for the first session, smooth pour, no noticeable heat issues at any time.

Decided to use Deep Blue with Ba Xian (Eight Immortals) DanCong for the 2nd.
Now I had forgotten to do a rinse with Yellow Dragon and was not too keen on the effectively rinse water that I had consumed. So for Deep Blue I was nonchalant to say the least as I set about the first infusion which was instantly going to be discarded.

OUCH - So nonchalant in fact that I had forgotten to use the saucer and was picking up the Gaiwan instead :oops:

Getting my act together, the first real infusion was a delight, flowers everywhere Spring Flowers, Roses, Geraniums, Violets - but perhaps too much floral and not enough of a counter in the form of Minerals, Earth, Wood or something. Also I noticed the heat more, or was it because my fingers were still sensitive from my earlier error. I did feel that the Gaiwan may be thinner, I shall have to weigh them against each other. Another issue that may have contributed was that the lid did not fit as snugly as Yellow Dragon, necessitating momentary delays here and there as I adjusted it from time to time with my free hand.

Subsequent infusions revealed more of the same then I followed with a much longer steep to try and get some extra body, mouth feel, or different flavours. I got it extra bitterness, had lengthened too much. But the lid was a shade not right and either let the tea out impossibly slowly or a little further ajar and I was unable to prevent slight spillage whilst decanting to the fair cup.

For the third (growing in confidence, despite my notes above, I generally felt pleased with effort no.2) I went for the Black Pearl 200ml large enough not to need to break any of the large Huang Jing (Yellow Leaf) DanCong leaves.
Just as with Deep Blue the lid did not fit as snugly and delayed matters now and then with the occasional dribble.
The flavours did seem enhanced as opposed to the Yixing, as far as delicate extremely fragrant early brews went. This time the fragrance was not as overpowering as the Ba Xian and the flavours were backed up with earthy, mineral notes - but again as I got on to later sessions the bitterness crept in.

Finally I went to the Red and White gaiwan and opened the Da Yu We (Big Dark Leaf) DanCong - and it was different in every way. First the gaiwan Lid was a perfect fit, clean pouring and zero dribbling! :D Adjustment with the free hand need nary more than a nudge with a little finger and it eased a millimetre or two effortlessly BUT the biggest amazement to me was how perfectly the Gaiwan base nestled into the proud depression on the saucer - everything felt 101% secure whilst pouring :D

The tea however, I would not have taken for a DanCong, fragrance was there but not over floral, it seemed like a Green TKY or lightly roasted Mao Jie or Ben Shan- I would definitely have said Anxi in a blind tasting. The fragrance apart, it was vegetal with a sweet pleasant back bite that reminded me of Nori seaweed that is wrapped round Sushi and Japanese Rice Crackers.

I think I prefer Huang Jing and Shui Xian in a Gaiwan. To date I prefer Ba Xian in a Yixing. I have yet to try Da Wu Ye in a Yixing. By the way the leaves were less than 1/5 the size of the yellow leaf and though dark were not big at all. The resultant brew was incredibly light coloured and my attempts to increase steep times did little to the colour but brought out that bitterness again.

I have 2 Gaiwans in the post. I think I will stop onlinr ordering, I want to nestle them in my hand in future before purchasing.

Jan 1st, '09, 00:30

by Herb_Master » Jan 1st, '09, 00:30

Now here is a confuser.

Browsing to find how any other tasting notes on Da Wu Ye may compare to my experience I stumbled across Tea Obsession to find that Imen describes
it as both Ginger Flower and Big Dark Leaf

http://tea-obsession.blogspot.com/2008_ ... chive.html
07 Da Wu Ye Lao Cong - Ginger Flower Fragrance $28/oz (sold out)

08 Winter Snow Da Wu Ye - Ginger Flower Fragrance $25/oz, $45/2 oz - VERY Fragrant (NEW)

07 Da Wu Ye special grade - Big Dark Leaf $22/3 oz ---Light roast, floral nectar
If anyone is seeing Imen in the near future can you ask her about this?

I always thought that 'Por Tou' was Ginger Flower?
Best wishes from Cheshire

Jan 1st, '09, 03:28

by ABx » Jan 1st, '09, 03:28

Why not email her?

I wouldn't try to draw conclusions this early.. there are a lot of factors that can affect the outcome of your tea ;) My dancong is coming out without much aroma today, because of the weather; some are affected more than others. Keep trying it - and you might even ask Imen about it in your email.

Your brewing will improve in the years to come - probably even over your entire lifetime. As you learn more, teas that you previously thought were boring will open up and seem like a completely different tea. Ways of brewing that you think are right now will turn out completely incorrect later on. Teas that you like now will become too one-dimensional later, and for the exact same reasons that you like them now. So be careful about drawing conclusions - tea is far more of an art than a science, and there are many things that can only be learned through experience - and lots of it ;)

Jan 1st, '09, 03:39

by thanks » Jan 1st, '09, 03:39

I just got a sample bag of Imen's Da Wu Ye, is this the same as what you are describing? If so I'll try it out tomorrow and post notes here to compare and see. I'll be brewing it in a 100ml gaiwan. If you keep an eye on my blog for the next week or two I'm going to be posting notes on every Dancong I'm trying lately; http://teajournaling.blogspot.com , and if you pm me here we can trade notes and tips.

I'm just starting to get into Dancongs, and they are indeed finicky brewers, but I don't think that they are as finicky as people make them out to be.

Also the problems with gaiwan lids fitting- I don't know about your gaiwan, but mine is slightly elliptical. The lid is round, so it's perfect for resting the lid to one of two sides in the gaiwan. Luckily (it doesn't leak) my gaiwan is cracked at the top of the ellipsis making it easy to find out where my lid is going at all times.

Jan 1st, '09, 06:20

by ABx » Jan 1st, '09, 06:20

thanks wrote:I'm just starting to get into Dancongs, and they are indeed finicky brewers, but I don't think that they are as finicky as people make them out to be.
Hehe, you must be new to them indeed :)

No, not all of them are particularly difficult. In every type of tea, however, there are a certain amount that are very difficult to brew; this ratio is just much higher for Dancong, and they can also be much harder to figure out.

Jan 1st, '09, 07:55

by Herb_Master » Jan 1st, '09, 07:55

thanks wrote:I just got a sample bag of Imen's Da Wu Ye, is this the same as what you are describing? If so I'll try it out tomorrow and post notes here to compare and see. I'll be brewing it in a 100ml gaiwan. If you keep an eye on my blog for the next week or two I'm going to be posting notes on every Dancong I'm trying lately; http://teajournaling.blogspot.com , and if you pm me here we can trade notes and tips.

I'm just starting to get into Dancongs, and they are indeed finicky brewers, but I don't think that they are as finicky as people make them out to be.

Also the problems with gaiwan lids fitting- I don't know about your gaiwan, but mine is slightly elliptical. The lid is round, so it's perfect for resting the lid to one of two sides in the gaiwan. Luckily (it doesn't leak) my gaiwan is cracked at the top of the ellipsis making it easy to find out where my lid is going at all times.
No mine is from Dragon Tea House
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Da-Wu-Ye-Big-Grey ... m153.l1262
Gordon describes it as
This strain is light and slightly astringent, with a hint of tropical fruit. This tea absolute delight, from the lovely black leaves, to the complex aroma of the infusion which is a lovely golden yellow liquor, with a complex delicate woody, fruity taste.

Jan 1st, '09, 08:02

by thanks » Jan 1st, '09, 08:02

Ah, I have that one on it's way from DTH, but it will probably be another week or two before it comes in with some other stuff.

Jan 3rd, '09, 14:01

by Bubba_tea » Jan 3rd, '09, 14:01

I recommend using a scale, thermometer and timer also - why have 3 more variables that you can change, change? After a lot of practice, you'll be able to guestimate much better and then adjust to your taste / barometric pressure / planet alignment / moon phase / etc etc etc...

I used to work at the American Heart Assoc. back in university, and after doing shipping for a while, we could feel within a couple of ounces on a 15 pound box - but that's after hundreds of boxes!

+ Post Reply