Romancing the Dream

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 26th, '09, 00:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Mar 26th, '09, 00:04

murrius wrote:Received my package of Supreme + Anxi TGY from Rich Barbarian. It took 4 weeks to arrive in Canada but is well worth it. This is the best oolong I have ever had. I'm in heaven .......
You realize when someone says "best oolong I've ever had"
I get this crazy frenzied need to own it. I have really been
avoiding this thread ... till now.

Mar 26th, '09, 00:09

by Herb_Master » Mar 26th, '09, 00:09

Victoria wrote:
murrius wrote:Received my package of Supreme + Anxi TGY from Rich Barbarian. It took 4 weeks to arrive in Canada but is well worth it. This is the best oolong I have ever had. I'm in heaven .......
AND having just arrived home from Malaysia with lots of goodies I want to try them but now I am reminded that I have lots of TGY sitting in my fridge - mmmn! which way shall I turn today?
Best wishes from Cheshire

Mar 26th, '09, 23:20

by murrius » Mar 26th, '09, 23:20

Victoria wrote:

.... and did I mention; a fantastic little tea tin as well! :D

Mar 29th, '09, 09:59

by TokyoB » Mar 29th, '09, 09:59

Herb_Master wrote:
AND having just arrived home from Malaysia with lots of goodies I want to try them but now I am reminded that I have lots of TGY sitting in my fridge - mmmn! which way shall I turn today?
Did you get a chance to go to a Hojo Tea shop? (off topic I know, sorry)

Mar 29th, '09, 16:47

by Herb_Master » Mar 29th, '09, 16:47

No unfortunately - I Did not realise Hojo was in Malaysia, let alone the outskirts of KL.

but came close

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p=102093#102093

Apr 18th, '09, 20:51

by Herb_Master » Apr 18th, '09, 20:51

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:I've been talking to the Rich Barbarian about possibly sourcing his supreme and supreme+ teas in the states a little bit. I don't see myself ending up anything like Scott with YSLLC or Jim with Puerhshop, but I see everyone that has tried his teas seem to enjoy them enough to buy them again.

We've been talking of doing something like 50 gram bags, since that seems to be a standard amount with most other vendors and is a nice amount to keep from losing freshness before you drink it all.

I'd just like to get everyones feedback on whether they would be interested in purchasing this tea in quantities beyond the 10g packets, before I actually make any kind of final decisions.
When I first read this, I was dismissive of the idea of 50 gram bags but now that I have been playing with my Tea Jar/Caddy/Canister collection a bit, I kind of like the idea a little bit more.

My main concern now that I am coming round to your way of thinking is that I was also new to the idea of storing my greener oolongs in the refrigerator. And 50 gram bags are a little harder to negotiate in my fridge space.

How does one make use of a display cabinet that one could point out to visitors, if any serious tea minded visitors should pass by - that did not feature any greener oolongs.

:idea:

I have some tea jars that I thought might be too small to be practical holding little more than a couple of brews but maybe 3 or 4 when you consider the tightly rolled nature of TKY.

:idea: :idea: :idea:

When breaking out a larger pack from the fridge distribute it into 2 or 3 small tea caddy jars on the display shelf.

Apr 18th, '09, 20:59

by Herb_Master » Apr 18th, '09, 20:59

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:I've been talking to the Rich Barbarian about possibly sourcing his supreme and supreme+ teas in the states a little bit. I don't see myself ending up anything like Scott with YSLLC or Jim with Puerhshop, but I see everyone that has tried his teas seem to enjoy them enough to buy them again.

We've been talking of doing something like 50 gram bags, since that seems to be a standard amount with most other vendors and is a nice amount to keep from losing freshness before you drink it all.

I'd just like to get everyones feedback on whether they would be interested in purchasing this tea in quantities beyond the 10g packets, before I actually make any kind of final decisions.
I don't know how your stateside venture selling on RB's TKY is progressing, with Postal costs (to Europe) from China or the U.S. likely to be similar I imagine I will continue to deal with RB directly.

But have you any info on the Inside track :-
is the 2009 Spring Harvest looking good? and when can we expect it - Late may or sooner / later ?
Best wishes from Cheshire

Apr 18th, '09, 23:50

by hooksie » Apr 18th, '09, 23:50

Edit: Disregard

Apr 22nd, '09, 11:29

by teashionista » Apr 22nd, '09, 11:29

I know I'm late to the party, but I finally got around to tasting RB's Superior and Superior+.
I definitely preferred Superior+: the aroma and flavor are stronger, it lasts longer, and the leaves are prettier (although not perfect by any standard). What struck me most is the aroma: from dry leaves to the last infusion it's flowery and almost silky (for lack of a better word in my somewhat limited tea vocabulary). The liquor itself is smooth, light, but with a good body. Aftertaste is very plesant and lasting. Superior grade is good as well, but not quite as pronounced.

Overall, I like this tea a lot, in spite of the fact that I usually prefer more oxidized TGYs. Off to buy more :)

Oct 21st, '10, 18:56

Re: Romancing the Dream

by Herb_Master » Oct 21st, '10, 18:56

whatever happened to Rich Barbarian ??? :( :( :(

Since Late Summer last year they have had nothing to sell, and now the ebay store does not even exist [though the browsers still have cached entries to it]

As they were the online outlet to a successful teashop - presumably the teashop stillfunctions.

Does anyone remember the name of the teashop? Maybe they have a fully fledged online site now rather than using ebay.

:?:

Oct 21st, '10, 18:58

Re:

by Herb_Master » Oct 21st, '10, 18:58

or maybe Poly...... is buying it all direct and selling it on ?

Oct 22nd, '10, 03:15

by Alex » Oct 22nd, '10, 03:15

I just read the first post got all juiced up with HM little yarn and clicked the dead link looking for teas :oops: :(

Apr 29th, '12, 09:47

by Herb_Master » Apr 29th, '12, 09:47

The lower grades are described as 'Summer Tea'

better drink before March.2010
and come in 250gm Vacuum Sealed bags.
Grade C $5.99
Grade B $5.99
Grade B+ $9.99

Supreme and Supreme+ come in Tins - 80gm each, 8 10gm vacuum sealed bags.
Supreme $9.99
Supreme+ $14.99
Just looked inside the Summer 2008 Supreme tin

:oops: 2 bags left :lol:

It seems as good now as my memory feels it was then.

Plenty of oomph! and a light glycerol like coating on the tongue and lips.
new hay and sugarcane come to mind, with an asparagus background.

May 3rd, '12, 17:45

by robot fingers » May 3rd, '12, 17:45

edkrueger wrote:
Herb_Master wrote: Taiwan seems far too developed in a 21st century sort of way, communication and marketing wise.
That is what is great about Taiwan!
so so true. I love Taiwan- the way culture blends is so ideal to me.

May 3rd, '12, 18:35
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » May 3rd, '12, 18:35

robot fingers wrote:
edkrueger wrote:
Herb_Master wrote: Taiwan seems far too developed in a 21st century sort of way, communication and marketing wise.
That is what is great about Taiwan!
so so true. I love Taiwan- the way culture blends is so ideal to me.
A friend of mine is from Tianjin, a northern city in China. She left China in late 1990s, lived in NYC for 10 years and moved to Jilong, a coastal city in Taiwan. She said she loves it there and it feels like "going back to 30 years ago without sacrificing modern life". That makes me envious and I feel that's exactly the type of city that I would like.

+ Post Reply