Jing Tea Shop Gaiwan, what else to buy...

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 5th, '09, 22:07

Jing Tea Shop Gaiwan, what else to buy...

by Tea Noob » Jan 5th, '09, 22:07

After searching hundreds of pages and posts about teaware on this site I have settled on 2 gaiwans from JingTeaShop. These are the two I will be ordering. Much of the Teaware is too complicated for me but it seems to be a consensus that any good teaware collection has at least 1 gaiwan.

http://www.jingteashop.com/pd-gaiwan-you-cai-orchid.cfm
This will be for me.

http://www.jingteashop.com/pd-gaiwan-qhyc-floral.cfm
This will be for my girlfriend.

I have read many posts from people on here that say they are a good source of Oolong Tea. I happen to be very interested in exploring this realm of tea and would like to get some samples from them since I will already be placing an order. My question is, what oolongs, or tea in general, from them should I get samples of?

Just last week I placed an order with TeaCuppa and ordered samples of the TGY, Oriental Beauty (Bai Ho), Formosa Cui Yu, Da Hong Pao, and Dong Ding. Would these be a good representation of the Oolong spectrum? Did I leave out some must haves that I should tag on to my Jing Tea Shop order? I would say I lean towards the more roasted teas if that helps anyone with suggestions.

Jan 5th, '09, 22:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jan 5th, '09, 22:24

Definitely try the 2003 Anxi Xi Ping Aged Tie Guan Yin.

http://www.jingteashop.com/pd-oolong-te ... an-yin.cfm

Other than that one, it's hard for me to advise since I like the other end of the spectrum.

Jan 5th, '09, 22:39

Re: Jing Tea Shop Gaiwan, what else to buy...

by Herb_Master » Jan 5th, '09, 22:39

Nice looking Gaiwans. I have yet to master all the different names. I have begun to work out what fen cai means (I have bought a large set of Fencai cups from Teacuppa) and have located this as the best source to read up on, but have only dipped into it at present)
http://www.orientaldiscovery.com/2006/1 ... 55535.html

Now you have me intrigued as to what Qing Hua and You Cai are!

The ones you and I buy, of course, are modern made in the style of these old ones, or using their techniques and patterns.
Best wishes from Cheshire

Jan 5th, '09, 22:43

by Herb_Master » Jan 5th, '09, 22:43

Tea Noob wrote:

Just last week I placed an order with TeaCuppa and ordered samples of the TGY, Oriental Beauty (Bai Ho), Formosa Cui Yu, Da Hong Pao, and Dong Ding. Would these be a good representation of the Oolong spectrum? Did I leave out some must haves that I should tag on to my Jing Tea Shop order? I would say I lean towards the more roasted teas if that helps anyone with suggestions.
I don't see a Fenghuang Dancong in your list , probably not best to start on the Song Zhong (price wise) - any of the other 5 should be worth trying!

Jan 5th, '09, 23:01

by Tea Noob » Jan 5th, '09, 23:01

I don't see a Fenghuang Dancong in your list , probably not best to start on the Song Zhong (price wise) - any of the other 5 should be worth trying!
I concur on the Song Zhong for now :shock:

I tentatively had Shi Gu Ping (Dancong) )in my basket as well Traditional Shui Xian (WuYi). I have not even guessed at an Anxi yet. If anyone has tried some of these, or others I have not mentioned feel free to pipe in.

Jan 5th, '09, 23:06

by Tea Noob » Jan 5th, '09, 23:06

Victoria wrote:Definitely try the 2003 Anxi Xi Ping Aged Tie Guan Yin.

Other than that one, it's hard for me to advise since I like the other end of the spectrum.
I was thinking about checking out an aged TGY. I shall heed your advice.

Jan 6th, '09, 04:40

by Herb_Master » Jan 6th, '09, 04:40

Tea Noob wrote:
I concur on the Song Zhong for now :shock:

I tentatively had Shi Gu Ping (Dancong) )in my basket as well Traditional Shui Xian (WuYi). I have not even guessed at an Anxi yet. If anyone has tried some of these, or others I have not mentioned feel free to pipe in.
I have looked at details for the 5

Yu Lan (Xiang) is as close as possible to a varietal name for Magnolia (Fragrance) as Jing describes, Xi Ren (Xiang) for Almond (Fragrance )-Jing describes nut. Ba Xian is Eight Immortals which Jing Describes as Grapefruit and Mi Lan (Xiang) is Honey Orchid (Fragrance) as in keeping with Jings decsription. Shi Gu Ping however is the name of a village and the varietal is unclear.

The description says Shui Xian but that is not to say it is anything like the other Shui Xians you will encounter from Fujian. All of the Fenghang Dancongs are believed to be different offspring from the original Song Zhong which was a unique strain of Shui Xian - and all show minor differences to each other but vast differences from a standard Shui Xian from north Fujian.

Jan 6th, '09, 08:55

by tjkoko_off » Jan 6th, '09, 08:55

Tea Noob wrote:After searching hundreds of pages and posts about teaware on this site I have settled on 2 gaiwans from JingTeaShop. These are the two I will be ordering. Much of the Teaware is too complicated for me but it seems to be a consensus that any good teaware collection has at least 1 gaiwan.

http://www.jingteashop.com/pd-gaiwan-you-cai-orchid.cfm
This will be for me.
I just got my Orchid Gaiwan from JTS and while beautiful, it certainly becomes very hot to the touch when boiling water is poured into it.
TJK

Jan 6th, '09, 09:09

by brlarson » Jan 6th, '09, 09:09

Tea Noob wrote:
Victoria wrote:Definitely try the 2003 Anxi Xi Ping Aged Tie Guan Yin.

I was thinking about checking out an aged TGY. I shall heed your advice.
This is also worth tasting:
http://www.jingteashop.com/pd-oolong-te ... -xptgy.cfm
Its floral scents are pure and its liquor is rich and light and has youthful (uplifting) vitality. I've learned new things from tasting both of Jing's Xi Ping TGYs.

Jan 6th, '09, 09:42

by tjkoko_off » Jan 6th, '09, 09:42

brlarson This is also worth tasting:
http://www.jingteashop.com/pd-oolong-te ... -xptgy.cfm
Its floral scents are pure and its liquor is rich and light and has youthful (uplifting) vitality. I've learned new things from tasting both of Jing's Xi Ping TGYs.

BRL:

As I just received the JTS 2008 oolong you mention, please describe your brewing method. could use a little brewing advice, here.

Jan 6th, '09, 11:42

by brlarson » Jan 6th, '09, 11:42

Hi TK.

When I first tasted it I put 5 grams of tea in a 145ml gaiwan and infused at 195F.
Gave it a quick wash and then 30 second infusions after that.

I just brewed 3grams in the same gaiwan and decreased the infusion time to between 5 and 15 seconds, also at 195F. The intensity of the scents and flavors is less than it was with 5 grams but the brew is still very rich. If you have enough of a supply you might want to start with 5 grams.

Cheers,

B

Jan 6th, '09, 15:23
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jan 6th, '09, 15:23

tjkoko wrote: I just got my Orchid Gaiwan from JTS and while beautiful, it certainly becomes very hot to the touch when boiling water is poured into it.
I guess most gaiwans are like this. So far, when I use gaiwan for oolong, when grabbing the gaiwan to pour out the tea, I would stop 1-2 times, quickly lay down the gaiwan and grab my earlobe before resuming pouring :P I found earlobe to be a reachable cool spot that can cool down the fingers. :twisted: Sometimes my fingers can take it to the end, and I guess that's when the water was not hot enough or gaiwan was not preheated enough :oops:
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Jan 6th, '09, 17:50

by Bubba_tea » Jan 6th, '09, 17:50

Hmm... don't you use the base saucer with the gaiwan? If you use that and the lid, then you shouldn't be touching anything that hot in particular... might just save your earlobe... :D

Geoff

Jan 6th, '09, 17:55

by Salsero » Jan 6th, '09, 17:55

Bubba_tea wrote: Hmm... don't you use the base saucer with the gaiwan? If you use that and the lid, then you shouldn't be touching anything that hot in particular... might just save your earlobe...
My thought too. If I use the saucer and the knob, and twist my wrist to pour, I have a painless experience.

You can't be too careful ... a person only has two earlobes and most other people won't lend you theirs!

Jan 7th, '09, 12:15

by towerofdabble » Jan 7th, '09, 12:15

I really really really like this one:

http://www.jingteashop.com/pd-oolong-te ... -milan.cfm

Did I mention how much I like it? :D

+ Post Reply