My Latest Tea Journey

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 8th, '09, 15:09

My Latest Tea Journey

by cheaton » Jan 8th, '09, 15:09

I have made a decision recently to confine my tea journey to a small sector of Oolongs. The two things I'm specifically focusing on are heavy roasted TieKuanYins and Yan Cha of the Shui Xian and TieLuoHan varietals. Here's where my journey has brought me thus far.

1. Classic Roast TKY from The Tea Gallery

This tea was my introduction to a high quality heavily roasted TKY. What I appreciate about this tea is it is rather easy to get the brewing right. There is much to be appreciated about the flavors wether you go light or heavy on the amount of tea used in brewing. I've gone anywhere from 1/4 full in a 110ml Yixing to 2/3 full in the same pot. Always with filtered water just off boil. More tea equals more notes of coffee and chocolate while less tea yields notes of caramel and even some vegital and floral notes. This tea really packs a punch when prepared by Michael at The Tea Gallery and makes coffee obsolete. I don't prepare it quite as strong at home typically, but it's still not a tea I would drink right before bedtime, lest ye enjoy tossing and turning and/or staring at the ceiling for long hours. The mouth feel is always smooth and silky and rather viscous, and there's a lingering sweetness in the back of the throat. I recommend at least 3 minutes between cups just to experience the fullness of the flavor from each tasting.

2. 2006 TieLuoHan (Iron Warrior Monk) from The Tea Gallery.

Again, this was my introduction to this varietal of Yan Cha and Yan Cha in general. This tea was rather simple to brew. 3/4 full Yixing pot by volume and water just off boil. The smell is the first thing I noticed. Floral but nutty and it seems to engulf your whole face even when the cup is on the table. Upon tasting the roast comes across first, followed by what I can only describe as a note of copper (similar to what you may taste a minute or two after you had touched a 9 volt battery to your tongue, or licked a penny). After crossing the back of the tongue into the throat you're left with a beautiful array of floral taste similar to a greener taiwanese oolong. Interestingly this floral flavor instensifies as you breath after the tea is long gone. The mouth feel is smooth but not really thick but it does have some viscosity. This tea also requires a resting period between cups to appreciate the fullness of the tea.

to be continued......

Jan 8th, '09, 17:18
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Jan 8th, '09, 17:18

Thanks for the post, it is good reading. I am hoping to look at TKy shortly, though of varying roastings. TLH is way down my list at the moment, but I hope to get there eventually.

Have you decided where else to buy High Roast TKY to compare with your Tea Gallery leaves?
Best wishes from Cheshire

Jan 8th, '09, 17:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jan 8th, '09, 17:28

The Just4Tea Signature Roasted Tie Guan Yin has been an instant hit with pretty much all the TeaChatters who have tried it. Space Samurai reviews it HERE.

Jan 8th, '09, 18:21

by thanks » Jan 8th, '09, 18:21

Salsero wrote:The Just4Tea Signature Roasted Tie Guan Yin has been an instant hit with pretty much all the TeaChatters who have tried it. Space Samurai reviews it HERE.
I just received my review sample in the mail. After one session I'd say it's fairly good tea at this price range. It even outperforms some slightly more expensive TGY. That's only my recommendation after one session though. I need a little bit more time to play with it.

Like everyone else says though, the price is right.

Jan 8th, '09, 18:21

by cheaton » Jan 8th, '09, 18:21

I have some of HouDe's Taiwanese high fire TKY already, just haven't had a chance to write about it. Just4tea is something i hope to order in the future.

Jan 8th, '09, 18:54

Continued....

by cheaton » Jan 8th, '09, 18:54

3. 2007 Winter Zheng-Cong Mu-Zha TieGuanYin - HouDe (high fire)

This tea is interesting. First, it's a TKY from Taiwan. That was a first for me. Second, each ball is a complete two leaves and a bud system, as opposed to one leaf. It took me almost my whole 2oz to learn to brew this correctly and even then sometimes I like it more than other times. You can't really go more than 1/3 full (dry) in a yixing without a really bitter, almost undrinkable, brew. I even backed it off to 1/4 full and increased the steep times. I came to realize this is probably b ecause each ball isn't only one leaf.... a little goes a long way. The brew comes out a deep gold caramel like color. The smell is very compelling, nutty and bold. It tastes suprisingly like it smells. Bold and nutty with a slight tinge of astringency which fades into a somewhat fruity aftertaste. Although I appreciate this tea for it's obvious qualities it wasn't something I'd buy again. However, I think it just needs a few years. Coincidentally HouDe does have an aged version (over 10 years old) available which I may try sometime in the future.

Jan 8th, '09, 21:48
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Jan 8th, '09, 21:48

"Upon tasting the roast comes across first, followed by what I can only describe as a note of copper (similar to what you may taste a minute or two after you had touched a 9 volt battery to your tongue, or licked a penny)."

Heh. Probably IS copper.

The WuYi Mts, Fujian Province are immediately adjacent to a range to the west, at the border with Jiangxi province.

It has the largest copper reserve in China.

Tannins and polyphenols bind Cu+2 ions; they might be released upon steeping, under conditions of moderately heavy leaf oxidation.

Jan 9th, '09, 00:37

by wyardley » Jan 9th, '09, 00:37

No need to start a new thread about roasted TGY - lots of good info and reviews here:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t=7390

The Hou De '94 Mu Zha TGY is pretty good IMO.

Jan 9th, '09, 10:38

by cheaton » Jan 9th, '09, 10:38

wyardley wrote:No need to start a new thread about roasted TGY - lots of good info and reviews here:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t=7390

The Hou De '94 Mu Zha TGY is pretty good IMO.
You'll probably notice if you take the time to read my original post that this thread is not exclusively about high fire TKY. It's about my experiences with a few teas I've had lately. I respect your opinions and your tea expertise wyardly, but seriously, we have moderators, there's no need to be the forum police.

Jan 9th, '09, 15:31
Vendor Member

Re: My Latest Tea Journey

by TIM » Jan 9th, '09, 15:31

cheaton wrote:I have made a decision recently to confine my tea journey to a small sector of Oolongs. The two things I'm specifically focusing on are heavy roasted TieKuanYins and Yan Cha of the Shui Xian and TieLuoHan varietals. Here's where my journey has brought me thus far.

1. Classic Roast TKY from The Tea Gallery

This tea was my introduction to a high quality heavily roasted TKY. What I appreciate about this tea is it is rather easy to get the brewing right. There is much to be appreciated about the flavors wether you go light or heavy on the amount of tea used in brewing. I've gone anywhere from 1/4 full in a 110ml Yixing to 2/3 full in the same pot. Always with filtered water just off boil. More tea equals more notes of coffee and chocolate while less tea yields notes of caramel and even some vegital and floral notes. This tea really packs a punch when prepared by Michael at The Tea Gallery and makes coffee obsolete. I don't prepare it quite as strong at home typically, but it's still not a tea I would drink right before bedtime, lest ye enjoy tossing and turning and/or staring at the ceiling for long hours. The mouth feel is always smooth and silky and rather viscous, and there's a lingering sweetness in the back of the throat. I recommend at least 3 minutes between cups just to experience the fullness of the flavor from each tasting.

2. 2006 TieLuoHan (Iron Warrior Monk) from The Tea Gallery.

Again, this was my introduction to this varietal of Yan Cha and Yan Cha in general. This tea was rather simple to brew. 3/4 full Yixing pot by volume and water just off boil. The smell is the first thing I noticed. Floral but nutty and it seems to engulf your whole face even when the cup is on the table. Upon tasting the roast comes across first, followed by what I can only describe as a note of copper (similar to what you may taste a minute or two after you had touched a 9 volt battery to your tongue, or licked a penny). After crossing the back of the tongue into the throat you're left with a beautiful array of floral taste similar to a greener taiwanese oolong. Interestingly this floral flavor instensifies as you breath after the tea is long gone. The mouth feel is smooth but not really thick but it does have some viscosity. This tea also requires a resting period between cups to appreciate the fullness of the tea.

to be continued......
I don't meant to sound like a salesman (which I am NOT : )

But they just have the new 2008 yanchas in.... Quite interesting, I must add. The Rou Gui and Golden Monk are something else:

I got some to age for another 5 years.

Jan 9th, '09, 21:47

by cheaton » Jan 9th, '09, 21:47

just got 50g of the 2008 TieLuoHan on Monday. It's delicious.

Jan 9th, '09, 22:14
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 9th, '09, 22:14

cheaton wrote:just got 50g of the 2008 TieLuoHan on Monday. It's delicious.
I am starting a dairy on all 2008 wuyi tea tasting... so far, I have golden monk, DHP, RG. All are very different, but the RouGui have the most prominent yan (cliff) flavor. Tie Luo Han is the most classic of all Wuyi, and will be my next victim : )

+ Post Reply