I am in Taiwan next week, in the Hsinchu area which tea?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 16th, '09, 00:07

I am in Taiwan next week, in the Hsinchu area which tea?

by vibrantdragon » Jan 16th, '09, 00:07

Hi, I have a business trip to Hsinchu next week, which Oolong should I try while I am local? Any good tea houses in Hsinchu? Any good tea moutains not too far from Hsinchu? I think the Hsinchu area is more for Green Tea, not Oolong, but I hope I can visit some areas while I am there. If my customer wants to go, than maybe we can drive out one afternoon to see some of the area.
Vibrant Dragon

Jan 16th, '09, 00:23
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jan 16th, '09, 00:23

Bai Hao Oolong (oriental beauty) is from Hsinchu county. One of my favorites :D You should be able to get a bunch of other good Taiwan tea too. Nice!
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Jan 16th, '09, 08:05

by skywalker » Jan 16th, '09, 08:05

Welcome to Taiwan!
But next week is close to the Chinese new year days, most of the shops will be closed from 25th, Jan. to 31th, Jan. So you have to ask your customer to make an arrangement in advance before the vacation coming.
If you really like the oriental beauty, the nearby county, Tao Wu, Miao Li , has the best quality in Taiwan. In fact, these areas' tea industry are fading. Young men don't stay there any more. Once the best Bai Hao was given tribute to Queen Victoria.

Jan 16th, '09, 19:57

by vibrantdragon » Jan 16th, '09, 19:57

Thanks, for the info. I am on a plane home the 24th, so I will miss New Year in Taiwan. I think I can interest my customer or a another tool vendor in going with me to the Tea area. I will need to stay close to Hsinchu, since we will have many long time experiments runnings, but while the techs work we can get out a little.
Vibrant Dragon

Jan 18th, '09, 22:49

by vibrantdragon » Jan 18th, '09, 22:49

Went to a tea restaurant today, just so I could show my coworkers how to make tea. Too hard at work to do the full gongfu ceremony - they had a yixing pot and a ceramic pouring pot - nice pieces but not too nice - just a stainless tray. The restaurant did not really have quality tea, just called it high mountain Oolong. My friends like seeing the steps and the process. Most had never seen the tea ceremony, so they enjoyed me serving them.
Vibrant Dragon

Jan 18th, '09, 23:31

by skywalker » Jan 18th, '09, 23:31

Well, not the everyone here is good at tea ceremony.
Here is another tea restaurant for your reference.
http://www.tien-yuan.com.tw/
http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/jw!djiHqYeRG ... le?mid=314
Taoyan is not far away from Hsinchu, if your friend is free.
Enjoy your trip!

Jan 25th, '09, 13:45

by vibrantdragon » Jan 25th, '09, 13:45

hi, too many equipment problems we did not get any free time. If not for New Year I would have had to stay longer to get the work done. Did not get out to see any of the moutains. Did get to another tea resturant in Jubei. It was okay and the tea was good. I was even more lucky, in that one of my friend's wife just got some good Ali Shan from the mountain area. I got 600 grams of that.

I have notice that many of the people in Taiwan seem to buy their tea from friends that have connections with one of the farmers on different moutain area. The people get a 20 - 100 kg order or so and than drive to the moutain and meet pick up the tea.
Vibrant Dragon

Jan 25th, '09, 20:42

by skywalker » Jan 25th, '09, 20:42

You are right, the domestic consumption is amazing, so most of the local production only enough to satisfy the local market. Especially we have the tradition to share the good tea with friends or relatives in the chinese new year.
Hope you have more time to enjoy in the next trip.

Jan 25th, '09, 23:57

by vibrantdragon » Jan 25th, '09, 23:57

Yes, my friend's wife got most of the tea for New Year gifts. I was lucky to get some also. I brought him some older Shu Pu'er for a New Year gift.
Vibrant Dragon

+ Post Reply