Dragon Tea House - basic vs. premium?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 19th, '09, 17:32

Dragon Tea House - basic vs. premium?

by Bubba_tea » Jan 19th, '09, 17:32

I'm thinking about putting in an order for some DHP and Shui Xian from DTH - just wanted to check with the folks here about how much difference there is in the basic vs. premium selections - it's about 2x the price for the premium, is it twice as good?

The yan cha's seem to have quite a variation in quality, many cheaper ones don't taste much better than the cardboard they come in - but the cheap XS at Jing has been great.. just wondering if the same is true for DTH. Need to get some before spring though - it seems like the perfect winter tea, like stout!
請进,請坐,請喝茶!!!

Jan 19th, '09, 17:38
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Dragon Tea House - basic vs. premium?

by Herb_Master » Jan 19th, '09, 17:38

Bubba_tea wrote:I'm thinking about putting in an order for some DHP and Shui Xian from DTH - just wanted to check with the folks here about how much difference there is in the basic vs. premium selections - it's about 2x the price for the premium, is it twice as good?

The yan cha's seem to have quite a variation in quality, many cheaper ones don't taste much better than the cardboard they come in - but the cheap XS at Jing has been great.. just wondering if the same is true for DTH. Need to get some before spring though - it seems like the perfect winter tea, like stout!
I suppose it depends on your exact requirements. How much stock do you already have, do you want to bulk up on the order to reduce the shipping costs per item etc.

I have such a large collection of tea to go through - I am only going to buy high end tea until my pile diminishes. But it is always nice to get someone else's view of one that you are about to purchase. Though occasionally your opinion may vary from their appraisal.
Best wishes from Cheshire

Jan 19th, '09, 17:47

by Bubba_tea » Jan 19th, '09, 17:47

Well - I could use some bulky decent tea for daily drinking - around the office stuff. I don't get much time to sit down and zen out on drinking tea with two kids under 2 in the house... but do appreciate some good tea! The category at Jing is perfect - everyday tea!
請进,請坐,請喝茶!!!

Jan 19th, '09, 21:04

Re: Dragon Tea House - basic vs. premium?

by Teatsai » Jan 19th, '09, 21:04

Bubba_tea wrote:I'm thinking about putting in an order for some DHP and Shui Xian from DTH - just wanted to check with the folks here about how much difference there is in the basic vs. premium selections - it's about 2x the price for the premium, is it twice as good?

Well, I am new with Oolong tea (mostly into Puerh tea). I had a nice SX (Wu yi Zheng Yen SX) from Puershop and although it was cheaper it had some very nice caramel/floral flavors and I liked it a lot...

I've ordered some of DTH teas, specifically the Lao Cong Shui Xian, the Premium DHP, Shui Jin Gui, Lie Tuo Han and Rou Gui. To be honest I was expecting The Lao Cong to taste much better than the basic SX from Puershop I had but I was dissapointed.. I can't find the same flavors regardless of how I brew it. Its an OK tea but nothing llike the cheaper SX I had before. Basically, I ended up with a lot of tea I am not crazy about except probably the Tie Luo Han (it tastes better than the rest).

Also the premium DHP tasted more like basic SX to me... Actually, most of the other teas also tasted like a basic SX to me if that makes any sense (nothing against DTH its probably my inexperience with Oolongs). I emailed Gordon and he said that all of his teas are what he callled medium roasted (Zhong Huo) and I would probably like the heavy baked more (Zu Huo). He is sending me samples of heavy roasted DHP and SX to try. We'll see, maybe that's what I was looking for... bolder taste and flavor.

I have not tried any other SX or DHP but I am now on a "mission" to find the good ones. I've placed an order with Teaspring already. I've ordered their basic SX and Lao Cong.

You mentioned liking the Jing cheaper everyday SX so maybe I should try that next. If everything else fails I can always order more from Puershop..

Anyhow, I am open to suggestions from more experienced Oolong drinkers about
better SX out there....

Jan 20th, '09, 02:06

by Bubba_tea » Jan 20th, '09, 02:06

Try Jing - you won't be disappointed. Check out their everyday selelction and the lesser of two costs DHP - it has the caramelized roasty maple flavor - almost a little espresso (good esspresso, not *$ junk). I'm suspicious of the teaspring, it looks like the same website as teacuppa - but let us know what you think.
請进,請坐,請喝茶!!!

Jan 20th, '09, 07:37

by Teatsai » Jan 20th, '09, 07:37

Bubba_tea wrote:Try Jing - you won't be disappointed. Check out their everyday selelction and the lesser of two costs DHP - it has the caramelized roasty maple flavor - almost a little espresso (good esspresso, not *$ junk). I'm suspicious of the teaspring, it looks like the same website as teacuppa - but let us know what you think.
Thanks Bubba,

I will post my thoughts here as soon as I get them...

I'll give the DHP a try... Can you describe their cheaper Shui Xian? Is it heavy baked and how is the flavor ?

Jan 23rd, '09, 10:37

by Bubba_tea » Jan 23rd, '09, 10:37

Honestly - I don't know exactly how baking changes the taste of the tea. I assume it gives it a little roasty and/or brightness (by reducing mustyness) flavor. If so, I would say that this XS is a little roasty, but not overly so. It has a nice balance with the sweetness as well. It might be missing a little bitterness for complexity, but far better than the price belies. Their basic DHP is sweeter and has more complex carmely-mapley flavors, IIRC.
請进,請坐,請喝茶!!!

Jan 25th, '09, 14:10
Scrolling: fixed

Ask Gordon

by Intuit » Jan 25th, '09, 14:10

I sent a request to Gordon, asking that he assemble a list of teas that provide good bang-for-buck for beginners and intermediate tea drinkers new to his tea selection.

He's consented and is considering putting together a sampler based on these lists.

I would contact Gordon directly, Bubba-Tea, and ask for his opinion on the teas you're considering for purchase.

On baking: this is a tea-finishing step - drying. Drying can be accomplished by other methods such as panning (active agitation to promote drying), and passive methods - drying in the sun, air drying in sheds. The most common drying method is baking. So yeah, it reduces mustiness by preventing mold growth on damp tea leaves. It also reduces slow loss of flavor/odor volatiles from residual water evaporation from broken leaf surfaces during storage. My guess is that heating is low temperature, such that t would preclude adding a 'toasty' flavor to teas by roasting, but I could be wrong if the drying process promotes concentration of tea flavors that brings out a toasty note.

Jan 25th, '09, 14:51

by brlarson » Jan 25th, '09, 14:51

Bubba_tea wrote:Try Jing - you won't be disappointed.
Agreed. Another good vendor is http://www.houdeasianart.com. Their Zheng-Yen Shui Xian is delicious as are their dancongs.
Bubba_tea wrote: I'm suspicious of the teaspring, it looks like the same website as teacuppa - but let us know what you think.
Teaspring is related to Royal Puer, but I don't think it has a relationship with Teacuppa. I have been unhappy with the Wuyi I have gotten from Teaspring. They were cheap so I suppose I got what I deserved. Their Tie Luo Han, Beidou No. 1, and Rou Gui exhibit very little of the character that mark these teas. I will only buy Wuyi going forward from very reputable sources, and Jing Tea Shop and Hou de are both reputable and choose their teas with care.

Jan 25th, '09, 14:54

by brlarson » Jan 25th, '09, 14:54

BTW, I'm very happy with other teas from Teaspring, their yellow teas for example, and I plan to continue using them as a source. It's only their yan cha that I'll stay away from.

Jan 26th, '09, 12:59

Re: Ask Gordon

by Bubba_tea » Jan 26th, '09, 12:59

Intuit wrote:On baking: this is a tea-finishing step - drying. Drying can be accomplished by other methods such as panning (active agitation to promote drying), and passive methods - drying in the sun, air drying in sheds. The most common drying method is baking. So yeah, it reduces mustiness by preventing mold growth on damp tea leaves.
Ah ha! That must be why the bag of tea I received from Teahome smelled and tasted like an old sock from Grandpa's closet.
請进,請坐,請喝茶!!!

Jan 28th, '09, 14:21

by hop_goblin » Jan 28th, '09, 14:21

I think maybe it has to do with which batch turned out the best - the better labeled as premium. Or one was picked by virgins :lol:

Jan 28th, '09, 23:04

by Bubba_tea » Jan 28th, '09, 23:04

...or virgin monkeys! :shock:
請进,請坐,請喝茶!!!

+ Post Reply