Tao of Tea - Wuyi Oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 22nd, '09, 00:20

Tao of Tea - Wuyi Oolong

by Lord Darkstorm » Jan 22nd, '09, 00:20

Just got some in today and finally gotten a chance to try some. Forgive me if I'm not as elegant as others, but I thought I'd give it a try. :D

First infusion was a bit bitter (scale hasn't arrived so it was partially guess work on the amount) strong flavor though. It was almost as if I could taste a bit of the darkness of the leaf. While it wasn't undrinkable, I can't say I enjoyed it.

Second infusion only had a touch of bitterness, and overall much nicer flavor while keeping a roasted flavor over the normal oolong taste. Different, but not unpleasant.

Third infusion had lost most of the heavy roasted flavor, and I found this one the best. No trace of bitterness at all, and I found it quite pleasant.

I would have gone for a fourth, but figured I would need to get some sleep sometime tonight. :lol:

Jan 22nd, '09, 06:32
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Tao of Tea - Wuyi Oolong

by Herb_Master » Jan 22nd, '09, 06:32

Lord Darkstorm wrote:Just got some in today and finally gotten a chance to try some. Forgive me if I'm not as elegant as others, but I thought I'd give it a try. :D

First infusion was a bit bitter (scale hasn't arrived so it was partially guess work on the amount) strong flavor though. It was almost as if I could taste a bit of the darkness of the leaf. While it wasn't undrinkable, I can't say I enjoyed it.

Second infusion only had a touch of bitterness, and overall much nicer flavor while keeping a roasted flavor over the normal oolong taste. Different, but not unpleasant.

Third infusion had lost most of the heavy roasted flavor, and I found this one the best. No trace of bitterness at all, and I found it quite pleasant.

I would have gone for a fourth, but figured I would need to get some sleep sometime tonight. :lol:
Did you do a Rinse ?

How long did you steep the first infusion?
Best wishes from Cheshire

Jan 22nd, '09, 07:48

by Lord Darkstorm » Jan 22nd, '09, 07:48

All of them are roughly 3 minutes (I have the zarafina) and while I can fiddle with the strength which would change the times...I'm finding out that it has a few limitation. It still does a passable job for most things, but I never knew how limited it was till I started wondering around here. I have been timing it to see how long the steeping times are, but no clue on actual water temps.

I didn't do a rinse, which I assume is why the first was so bitter.

Jan 22nd, '09, 08:51

by hop_goblin » Jan 22nd, '09, 08:51

Lord Darkstorm wrote:All of them are roughly 3 minutes (I have the zarafina) and while I can fiddle with the strength which would change the times...I'm finding out that it has a few limitation. It still does a passable job for most things, but I never knew how limited it was till I started wondering around here. I have been timing it to see how long the steeping times are, but no clue on actual water temps.

I didn't do a rinse, which I assume is why the first was so bitter.
Don't worry too much about the amount. Generally, when you brew oolongs the amount is not an issue as much as the steep. However, 1gm to 30ml of water is a good ratio. But since don't have a scale, its some what irrelevant. Water temp can go a hotter with yanchas. Let your water boil and then rest for 30 sec. This should do the trick for yancha. Yanchas can take the heat fairly well.

Yeah rinse..

General guide

Rinse 10 sec
First infusion 15 sec
Second 10 sec
Third 15 sec
subsequent add 2 seconds

Jan 22nd, '09, 10:36

by Beidao » Jan 22nd, '09, 10:36

For a Wuyi Oolong, I would really recommend gaiwan or small pot and the times that hop_goblin says.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jan 22nd, '09, 11:00

by Lord Darkstorm » Jan 22nd, '09, 11:00

I have a infuser cup that should arrive monday, and that should be more controllable.

The scale did arrive today, so that will no longer be an issue. :D

Jan 22nd, '09, 11:08

by Beidao » Jan 22nd, '09, 11:08

Infuser cup is a step up, but haven't got the advantages of a gaiwan. If you get one, I think you will not regret it :) As soon as I learnt how to deal with mine, there are some teas I never use other vessels for.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jan 22nd, '09, 12:24

by hop_goblin » Jan 22nd, '09, 12:24

Beidao wrote:Infuser cup is a step up, but haven't got the advantages of a gaiwan. If you get one, I think you will not regret it :) As soon as I learnt how to deal with mine, there are some teas I never use other vessels for.
Well, brew with whatever vessle is comfortable and afforable to you. The trick really is, is to just play around with times and temps. However, I do second the Gaiwan or Yixing.

Jan 22nd, '09, 12:32

by Lord Darkstorm » Jan 22nd, '09, 12:32

I've been looking at the gaiwans, but decided to hold off till I can get a better handle on making tea correctly. My current track record is more bad than good, one of the reasons I got an automated system. So far the machine still does a better job than I do.

I do love a oolongs, but most of my attempts have been less than enjoyable.

Fortunately, there is a mountain of information here to help me figure it out, as well as nice helpful people to ask questions of.

Jan 28th, '09, 18:41

Temperature

by richardr2009 » Jan 28th, '09, 18:41

With all oolongs, a full boiling water is fine. Even the baozhongs. (Even some green teas -- I know, many people will disagree, but you can use boiling water with a Dragon Well and Houkui, for instance).

Gaiwan is nice because you can use it with diff. tea categories -- oolong (green or dark), puer, green... one after the other, provided you wash out previous tea.

With the yixing pots, they hold the heat longer. You must dedicate one to each category of tea to avoid mixing tastes (e.g., oils) of one tea with another.

I've never had an oolong that suffered because of the high heat of water. But I have had an oolong that was poor because the water was not hot enough. Tie Kwan Yin for instance needs a very hot water -- otherwise bitter it becomes.

Amount of tea to water is also important. About 1/3 dry tea leaf to 2/3 water. Wait 1 minute approx., infusing in yixing or gaiwan, and then pour. Be sure to decant so that you are not ruining the tea. Better to drink a tea that's lukewarm, but properly prepared, than a tea that's hotter, but over brewed.

+ Post Reply