Eight thousandth yixing thread, Teamasters in particular.

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 25th, '09, 23:56

Eight thousandth yixing thread, Teamasters in particular.

by tiohn » Jan 25th, '09, 23:56

The yixing teapot that I've had for the last ten years or so went to the big teahouse in the sky this evening, so I might need a new one. My head is about to explode from reading the previous 79 thousand threads here dealing with yixing, and I still feel nearly as lost as when I started.

So here's where I am: Stephane at Teamasters has been kind enough to email me his pricelist numerous time without me ever ordering anything, so he's getting my business. As much as I would like this zhuni pot, it's well out of my price range. So i'm pretty much considering this zisha shi piao: http://teamasters.blogspot.com/2008/03/ ... -hu-2.html
That comes in at nearly half the price of the zhuni pot, but I understand that the zisha is the more porous of the two. And therein lies my problem. I'm looking at buying just one pot for all of my oolongs and the odd puerh, no matter how dark or light. I won't be seasoning the pot, instead rinsing it well before and after each brewing.

Will this pot be acceptably versatile? Would the zhuni be more versatile?

OR!

Should I just forget another pot and get a gaiwan from Stephane? I've got a gaiwan that I bought at Teavana that I've been using for Rou Gui and Lao Cong from Teacuppa, but I really hate that thing and have been meaning to get a better one. This would cost a lot less, and that difference could be spent on more tea, but I really, really liked using my old pot, may it rest in pieces.

Jan 26th, '09, 00:09

Re: Eight thousandth yixing thread, Teamasters in particular

by wyardley » Jan 26th, '09, 00:09

tiohn wrote:I won't be seasoning the pot, instead rinsing it well before and after each brewing.
The "seasoning" just comes from using the pot, and from tea / tea oils being absorbed by the pot. It's not something you can avoid by rinsing the pot (which you should always do after use anyway).

The Yixing police aren't going to come arrest you for using the pot for multiple kinds of tea, and in fact, it's not a problem to brew any tea in a pot a few times to see how it will come out. Long term, it might make sense to dedicate the pot to a certain type of tea if possible.

I personally think that zisha is a little more forgiving than most red clays, so it is probably a better "general" choice, unless you drink a lot of lighter / greenish teas. I would say that a medium ball shaped pot (like a wide pear shape or shui ping shape) might be a little more general purpose, but not a big deal. Honestly, the differences we're talking about here are really small.

Jan 26th, '09, 00:17

by tiohn » Jan 26th, '09, 00:17

Wow, that was fast. Thanks for info!

Is Ruo Gui a "lighter" tea? I just realized that my main concern has been with all of the wonderful aromatics from that being absorbed by the clay. But in that case, I suppose I could just continue using my gaiwan.

Jan 26th, '09, 00:23

by tenuki » Jan 26th, '09, 00:23

I have that pot and am very happy with it (look closely at my icon..). I use it for baozhong mostly due to it's shape and clay characteristics (pretty hard), but have done da hao pong and gao shans in it with good results. Of all my pots this one best preserves fragrance...

One thing about that pot that bears mentioning is that the flat top collects heat pretty well, so you have to be careful when pouring it to keep just the tip of your finger on just the tip of the top of the little handle. also the hole on the lid is under the handle so you can't block it to stop flow as most pots can. The walls and especially the spout are pretty thick, so probably less prone to breakage and good heat retention.

I agree the more general purpose pot might be pear or ball shaped, but the pot you mention is a great little pot, and will probalby be the start of your collection anyway. :D

I'm not personally an advocate of the one pot one tea school, which is why I only have 6.... ;)
Last edited by tenuki on Jan 26th, '09, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 26th, '09, 00:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jan 26th, '09, 00:58

I also got that little pot based on Tenuki's experience and have been very happy with it. It's thick walls retain heat nicely, and 125 ml is a convenient capacity for my brewing.

Jan 26th, '09, 01:08

by tenuki » Jan 26th, '09, 01:08

Here are a couple of pics I took of it to maybe help you make up your mind...

click to enlarge
Image Image Image

(bwahahaaa)

Jan 26th, '09, 01:25
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jan 26th, '09, 01:25

... and another.

You can not resist the impulse now.

echo: *(bwahahaaa)*

Jan 26th, '09, 19:25

by heavydoom » Jan 26th, '09, 19:25

the lid gets hot easily so watch your finger tips.

Jan 26th, '09, 20:00

by bi lew chun » Jan 26th, '09, 20:00

+1 for the Shi Piao. The lid can get a little hot, but it's like a flaw in someone you love.

Image Image Image

Last nail in the coffin?

Jan 26th, '09, 21:20

by Tea Noob » Jan 26th, '09, 21:20

wonderful photography. How much does this baby run? I am new to tea and awaiting my gaiwan order. I need to abuse that before adding teaware. What is a reasonable price for a entry level Yixing?

Jan 26th, '09, 21:23

by Saifuddin » Jan 26th, '09, 21:23

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, this is kind of on topic; What teas would work best in this type of pot, other than Bao Zhong? Would something like Dan Cong come out well in it?

Jan 26th, '09, 23:00

by Bubba_tea » Jan 26th, '09, 23:00

Wow - now it's a photo geek-off!! :lol: Really - great pictures guys!
請进,請坐,請喝茶!!!

Jan 27th, '09, 22:54

by chrl42 » Jan 27th, '09, 22:54

Tea Noob wrote:wonderful photography. How much does this baby run? I am new to tea and awaiting my gaiwan order. I need to abuse that before adding teaware. What is a reasonable price for a entry level Yixing?
That's a million dollar question. Without being familiar with western vendors, I will speak my opinion from my understanding Chinese vendors.

that kind of question is common in Asia as well, and I remember an expert's claim "there is no real yixing teapot under 80 rmb". 80 rmb is 12 usd. Then what could they be? they could be either a slip-cast/wheel-thrown.

I draw the line of yixing as 3 categories. Good pot, ok pot and trash pot. It has to do with clay/level of making. I've noticed 2 don't go other way, cos a potter won't make sloppy with a clay he expensively purchased. Price of clay also differ a lot.

good clay (benshan or di cao qing) 30000 rmb /ton (over)
normal huanglong mt. clay 3000/ton
hufu or other mt. clay 1000/ton (you need at least 500g to make one pot)

These are what I consider clay for tea making. Yixing clay. And they are price of ore not clay. clay made becomes pricier.

none-yixing clay might be from Zhejiang and other provinces. usually used for wheel-making and slip-casting.
i say they are trash pots cos they are not made for quality (thus tea brewing) but for quantity in hopes of looking like yixing teapot. that no one'd dream about tea making with em if had there not been yixing clay.

Usually studio/student made yixing pots usually range around 100~300 rmb. Certificated potter (there are some 600 certificated potters in yixing) template-used pot you can buy as cheap as 300 rmb.

Usually expensive clays are used to make expensive pots (not always). I kinda made this selfish conclusion. You can buy good pot with some 10 bucks, but not great pot. And I recommend Gaiwan rather than using trash pot.

peace

Jan 27th, '09, 23:34

by tenuki » Jan 27th, '09, 23:34

chrl42 wrote: I recommend Gaiwan rather than using trash pot.
+1
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jan 29th, '09, 23:23

by ErikaM » Jan 29th, '09, 23:23

Salsero wrote:... and another.
Nevermind the yixing, where did you get that wonderful tea bowl???

+ Post Reply