Can someone recommend a good green oolong?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 26th, '09, 13:51

Can someone recommend a good green oolong?

by Michael_C » Jan 26th, '09, 13:51

I've been drinking a lot of green oolong lately, and soon I'll be finishing what I have now ("high mountain oolong", $10 for 50g, purchased at a TenRen).

Can someone recommend a good green oolong, as well as the vendor who sells it? Sorry if this is too general of a question... price isn't too much of an issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 26th, '09, 14:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jan 26th, '09, 14:41

You will find a great selection of green oolongs at Floating Leaves Tea:

http://www.floatingleavestea.com/teasho ... Oolong+Tea

Jan 26th, '09, 16:23

by Beidao » Jan 26th, '09, 16:23

I recommend:

Pouchong/Paochong/Baozhong
Dong Ding/Tung Ting/Dung ting/Dung ding/Dung Ti
Tie Guan Yin/Ti kwan yom/Ti kuan Yin/Iron Godess of Mercy
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jan 26th, '09, 18:14

by Cinnabar Red » Jan 26th, '09, 18:14

Victoria wrote:You will find a great selection of green oolongs at Floating Leaves Tea:

You can't go wrong with this vendor. Very nice people too!

Jan 27th, '09, 08:47

by tsverrir » Jan 27th, '09, 08:47

You will find a good selection of green oolongs at www.teafromtaiwan.com.
A bit pricey but you get what you pay for. I've ordered from them a few times and have been very happy with what I've got. Plus if you order for more than $60 you'll get free shipping.

Jan 27th, '09, 13:07

by snafu » Jan 27th, '09, 13:07

Hou De sells a superb Pin-lin Bao Zhong, which is about as green as it gets for oolong. It's a little different than typical (relative to others, less intense aroma and more savoury flavour) and fairly expensive (~ 20$/55g) but delicious. They also have an aged Bao Zhong which is rare and worth trying.

Jan 27th, '09, 13:29

by Michael_C » Jan 27th, '09, 13:29

Thanks for all of the replies! Lots to try here... is green oolong like Japanese greens, in that it gets stale after about six weeks, or does it keep for a long time? This will affect how much I buy at one time.

Jan 27th, '09, 14:18

by Victoria » Jan 27th, '09, 14:18

Not as quickly as Japanese greens, but they will begin to fade after they are opened. I would not advise having too many open at once. Vacuumed sealed, they should be fine 6 months up to a year. After one is open, day by day it begins to fade, till it is pretty nondescript. Still drinkable, but with no sparkle, no vitality.

If you are not buying from a vendor that vacuum seals, then you better plan to drink them up quickly.

The good news is some have been successful at re-roasting them, thereby giving them a second wind.

Jan 27th, '09, 18:17

by tsverrir » Jan 27th, '09, 18:17

Victoria wrote:The good news is some have been successful at re-roasting them, thereby giving them a second wind.
I've had good results doing that, but I recommend using it as a second option. Drink them fresh if possible.

Jan 30th, '09, 14:43

Re: Can someone recommend a good green oolong?

by richardr2009 » Jan 30th, '09, 14:43

Michael_C wrote:recommend a good green oolong, as well as the vendor who sells it?
Jin Xuan, Lishan, Alishan (Winter-Spring), Dong Ding, Shanlin Xi -- from A Tea Cup Dropped. Imported from Taiwan. I drink them all the time. [For the record, I work for the company. Hope that's acceptable to post]

Jan 30th, '09, 15:11

Re: Can someone recommend a good green oolong?

by Chip » Jan 30th, '09, 15:11

richardr2009 wrote:
Michael_C wrote:recommend a good green oolong, as well as the vendor who sells it?
Jin Xuan, Lishan, Alishan (Winter-Spring), Dong Ding, Shanlin Xi -- from A Tea Cup Dropped. Imported from Taiwan. I drink them all the time. [For the record, I work for the company. Hope that's acceptable to post]
Links and self promoting posts are not permitted on TeaChat. We have a bunch of vendors who never mention their affiliation. They simply participate in the forum.

I would suggest that you please read the TeaChat forum rules by clicking here or under Introduction and discern what is acceptable and what is not. I can also tell you from past experience, if members know you are a vendor and you post like a vendor, your credibility will drop as your posts will be perceived as having an ulterior motive beyond the love of the leaf.

I am sure you saw I did edit your posts.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 1st, '09, 05:24

by tenuki » Feb 1st, '09, 05:24

I think for a very cheap (~$4/oz) green oolong of decent quality for everyday drinking you would be hard pressed to beat the latest Si Ji Chun (Four Seasons, 四季春) at Floating Leaves Tea. I just bought 10 oz of the Si Ji Chun to be my green oolong daily drinker for the next few months so that should tell you my opinion of it at least.

Also her Formosa Fo Shou (Buddha Hand, 佛手) gao shan is very good this season and reasonably priced although not cheap. It has a buttery note in the fragrance that is quite nice and a good thick mouthfeel and aftertaste. ( I also got a full bag of the Li Shan, but that is more subtle and refined tea than the buddha hand and probably not as popular with most people due to that. )

I don't like the Ali Shan Traditional that is usually my perennial favorite this season for what that is worth. It has all the recognizable characteristics everyone who tastes it loves, but it's somehow thinner and less yummy and has a slight initial off taste.

I don't think she has either up on the website yet, so you'll have to wait for that or call to order.

As usual her Dong Ding is also very good for the price, it was very close to the Si Ji Chun in price/quality but something about the Si Ji Chun drew me in.
Last edited by tenuki on Feb 3rd, '09, 04:51, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 1st, '09, 13:13

by Victoria » Feb 1st, '09, 13:13

I agree with you on the AliShan Traditional which is a favorite of mine too. I thought the Buddha Hand was the best of the new offerings. I'm pretty load up on teas right now, or I would have bought the one. Looking forward to the spring offerings.

Feb 1st, '09, 14:16

A good Oolong

by Daisy » Feb 1st, '09, 14:16

Teaworld have a great variety of Oolongs at vey good prices.

EDITED by Moderator. Please see Forum Rules by clicking here.
In particular, #6. New members with less than 6 posts and less than 30 days membership shall not post links.
Thanks,
Chip
Forum Moderator

Feb 1st, '09, 20:50

by devites » Feb 1st, '09, 20:50

Victoria wrote:You will find a great selection of green oolongs at Floating Leaves Tea:

I would recommend the Baozhong Farmers Choice, Dong Ding, and Jin Xuan as my favorites at floating leaves. The Alishan is also fantastic, but honestly the Baozhong is IMO the best value.

+ Post Reply